Is Patchface the Tom Bombadil of ASOIAF?

Lars Penry

They are both enigmas within their respective worlds, both eccentric chaps who dance and sing merry tunes and seem to hold knowledge beyond their means. Could Patchface be a similar character who will never have a true explanation, GRRM is known to be a fan of LOTR after all.

Yes? No? Maybe?

I hadn't thought of it before, but it may be. Some people think that Patchface sings prophecies, so he knows the future or something like that. And I don't see GRMM giving explanations about him. However, Tom Bombadil was considered to be powerful and wise, unlike Patchface, who is taken for a full by everyone in Westeros. Good comparisson, though.

Similar in a sense that both of them could be left unexplained - probably. Other than that, Tom Bombadil is several notches more powerful, wiser and more important to the story.

I would like to learn more about Patchface, though - namely the origins of knowledge for his prophetic songs. I find very interesting and intriguing how many of his songs actually happened.

Similar in a sense that both of them could be left unexplained - probably. Other than that, Tom Bombadil is several notches more powerful, wiser and more important to the story.

I would like to learn more about Patchface, though - namely the origins of knowledge for his prophetic songs. I find very interesting and intriguing how many of his songs actually happened.

That's what was trying to convey, I don't think he;'s on the same power level as TB, you have my inarticulate OP t thank for that. I don't think we'll get a true explanation of Patchface, but I think he'll have a greater function than Tom in the long run.

Depending on the theory, Tom Bombadil was either an avatar of the reader, or Aule. Either way, he was no crazy guy and super powerful within the context of the story.

Patchface has foresight that allows him to see what GRRM is thinking might happen in the future, something very few people, even on this super geek board, can identify with.

And he certainly isn't one of the powers who helped to create the world.

I know they aren't similar in terms of power I'm saying is this GRRM sort of own version of Tom, Perhaps he wanted to emulate an enigmatic inexplicable figure who added mystery. No evidence, just a thought when I was reading LOTR again the other day.

Also didn't JRRT say in one of his letters Tom was basically the personification of Middle Earth? Since he couldn't exist without it I always thought he was a nature spirit embodying Middle Earth.

I seriously doubt that Bombadil was sane in the normal sense of the word. He lives alone in the forest with an elvish princess and wanders around talking with his animal and tree friends.

Yet he was also one of the most powerful beings in Middle Earth. He saw Frodo ring walking and chastised him. Tom played with the ring, slipped it on, and said, that's cute here you go. During the Council of Elrond when trying to figure out what to do Elrond mentioned that Tom could hang on to the ring forever without being corrupted but Gandalf said no.

Patchface is some sort of drowned god savant. He's creepy, he's dangerous, but he is a mortal man not a divine avatar. And he doesn't have yellow boots.

Archived