[Starz] Black Sails [Spoilers off the port bow!]

Commodore

"Black Sails" fits the Starz brand of intensely violent and sexual(*) period pieces with impressive production design and costuming. Like most of those shows, though, it's all flash and no substance, and the flash fades pretty quickly, no doubt right around the point the production accountant realized just how much it costs to film extended sequences with ships in water.

That sounds about right. But really, was anyone expecting anything more? It was your standard B-fare entertainment which is pretty much what I thought it would be going in.

Anyway, it's still just one episode.

I was entertained enough. I'm willing to keep it going a little while longer...though the John Silver character was a downer, and the girl running daddy's business was all over the map in terms of what they want to do with her.

Second episode was already a major improvement. Hannah News character was being used much better than in the first one. And Toby Stephens as Captain Flint is freaking awesome. Especially in the way he brought that Odyssey speech.

Let's hope that the episodes will keep improving the way they did from 1 to 2.

Why does Rackham have a posh accent? And can we not do away with whoever it is playing Vane and replace him with Finch from the Office? He was good enough as Vane in Black Flag and it might give this show something other than Toby Stephens that worth watching other than the fanservice

Why does Rackham have a posh accent? And can we not do away with whoever it is playing Vane and replace him with Finch from the Office? He was good enough as Vane in Black Flag and it might give this show something other than Toby Stephens that worth watching other than the fanservice

Because for the show runners a posh accent makes him appear to be more clever? Yea, I didn't understand that feature. And what's with his hair and sideburns? My big issue is that I can't stand this guy Luke Arnold who plays John Silver. Is he supposed to be funny? As for Toby Stephens, much like his mother who is the best thing about Downton Abbey, he makes Black Sails watchable.

Episode 2 was a major, major improvement. In fact, I'm pretty sure Episode 1 shouldn't have been shown without Episode 2 because the first episode made it look like it was going to drag out the page story.

Max and Eleanor's "romance" didn't last long either.

(It's amazing how two painfully bad actors make their scenes together exponentially worse)

The fact they didn't is the only reason I'm tuning in for episode 3#.

As for Calico Jack having a posh accent, maybe it's just an air he puts on.

Well, I'm not sure this op was so major improvement, I consider them both to be equal. Not bad though, because I rated first one higher than most people here it seems. First one had better action, like that fight at the end and the whole scheming. I agree that the females, especially the blonde were better in this op. But I believe the whole missing page mystery was resolved too soon. It could have lasted few more eopisodes.

Because for the show runners a posh accent makes him appear to be more clever? Yea, I didn't understand that feature. And what's with his hair and sideburns? My big issue is that I can't stand this guy Luke Arnold who plays John Silver. Is he supposed to be funny? As for Toby Stephens, much like his mother who is the best thing about Downton Abbey, he makes Black Sails watchable.

:stunned: :o Holy Fucking shit Dame Maggie Smith is Toby Stephens mother? Well, that explains why he's such a great actor. Like I said before, it really bothers me that this guy isn't more famous. He's great.

I don't care for the missing page story because I'm watching a story about pirates because, well, I want to see them flich and sack.

Stand up me'hearties yo ho.

More ship attacks!

Don't hold your breath. Considering the budget restrictions you're not very likely to see a lot of ship attacks, at least well made ship attacks.

Don't hold your breath. Considering the budget restrictions you're not very likely to see a lot of ship attacks, at least well made ship attacks.

Yeah, that's problematic. It's hard to get into a pirate series without much, well, piracy.

As for Toby Stephens, much like his mother who is the best thing about Downton Abbey, he makes Black Sails watchable.

Mind. Blown.

How did I not know he is Maggie's son? Now that I know it, the family resemblance is impossible to ignore.

Archived