Drogo the kingslayer

but she keeps thinking bobert as "the usurper" ... As if he or his dogs are "usurping" her rights...

She's been trained to think of him as a Usurper since she was born, year in and year out for over a year. How easy do you think it should be for someone to break out of that way of thinking? Hell, how long has it been since Robert sent an assassin after her? Two years? Come on, you're asking someone to make a radical change in their worldview based solely on a logical contortion (Drogo killing Viserys means that Dany should forget about the deaths of her niece, nephew, father, and brother).

Think of this way -- let's say Daenerys returns to Westeros, destroys the Lannisters, and takes over the Iron Throne. "Logically", people like Stannis should bend the knee since she won the war and they lost. But even if Stannis is completely defeated and has no more supporters left, he's not just going to completely forget everything he spent most of his life believing and act like he totally enjoyed Targaryen rule the whole time and is completely happy about everything turning out that way. People aren't cold logic machines like that, not even Stannis and especially not Dany.

Later in that chapter, Daenerys says: The Dothraki would respect him more if he looked less a beggar, she hoped, and perhaps he would forgive her for shaming him that day in the grass. He was still her king, after all, and her brother. They were both blood of the dragon.

Even though Dany has thoughts of someone stronger than Viserys taking the Iron Throne, and she has the thought of Rhaego becoming king; they remain thoughts, albeit justified thoughts. Dany still regards Viserys as her rightful king, despite her thoughts. The end of this chapter is when the idea actually begins to take root.

I fail to see how Dany and Stannis are in the same 'level' of kinslaying.

She doesn't plan to pass over Viserys, as is proven by the fact that she continues to refer to him as her king. She just knows that he will never be King of Westeros. When he fails to assimilate into the Dothraki culture, she realises that he's a dead man walking. And she was absolutely right.

It's called cognitive dissonance.

Instinctively, she's given up Viserys and his line as a bad job (not that I blame her, mind you). She might continue to think of him as her King, but her plan is clearly to claim Westeros for "someone else" as she articulates to Jorah, and put her own son on the throne. She doesn't think of the latter as a possibility, but as an assumption.

Although, she has realized to an extent that kingship is deserved, it's kind of hard to lose/forget 14 years of being told that Robert was a usurper (which he was), and that Ned and the rest were his Dogs, and that the throne is forever House Targaryen's.

So was Aegon by that logic.

Following that line of thought the Throne of Westeros belongs to the Children of the Forest.

So was Aegon by that logic.

Following that line of thought the Throne of Westeros belongs to the Children of the Forest.

There had never been a king of the Seven Kingdoms, until Aegon, so that's the difference. Of course, Aegon was a usurper to each of the original kingdoms, but he was the first King of the Seven Kingdoms; he didn't usurp the IT, he established it; whereas Robert usurped the Iron Throne from House Targaryen, the first family to ever rule the entire Seven Kingdoms. I'm not saying what Robert did wasn't justified, it was.

If my brother held a sword to my belly and threatened to cut out my unborn child (which would also likely kill me as a result)....I don't know that I'd be too worried about my husband killing him. In fact, I'd probably be relieved to no longer have that threat walking around.

I'd much rather handle it myself. Not get someone to do my dirty work for me.

I debated about this to my friend. Perhaps it's a cultural thing to me and that is, you don't mess with family. And I could not do that so easily to my family. Leave him out there in the wilderness, or whatever. Killing him wasn't necessary. He was a foolish, cruel man, but hardly a threat.

But I also wonder had their roles been reversed and Dany was threatening a child that Viserys had and he had someone else kill her, would everyone have this same reaction? Food for thought. :) not to derail the topic..

Archived