Favorite/Best scene

Laenn

Yes, I know this is really general. However, I wanted to create a topic about which scenes people liked the most or thought were the best. "Best" can be any thing from most comical, to most badass, to most poignant, to the most horrific. Let us know, which section ( and it can be from any of the novels) stuck out at you most after reading it, or made you the GRRM fan you are today.

To start, I think my favorite scene was the Red Wedding scene and everything leading up to it. GRRM did a great job of making everything seem a little bit wrong and a little bit sinister, but you didn't quite know what. The whole thing just strecthed you along, until the final climax with Robb's death. At that point, I think GRRM wanted the reader to know that no character is sacred. Very good stuff.

Hard to pick one, but I have gone back and read this scene several times, where Meera tells Bran the story of the "Knight of the Laughing Tree." What a great story! So much is told in that simple tale, and you want to hear so much more.

I love where Bran, Meera, and Jojen are hiding in the tower, and the stories of the Rat Cook, the Night's King, are brought into the story. That was an extremely eerie scene. And the way it comes to a conclusion is great.

Just about anything with those three, really. (Six, counting Hodor and Summer.)

There are many scenes, no wrong answers. I'm sure the "Tower of Joy" dream scene will come up shortly. But my answer to this is the scene in AGoT where Maester Aemon reveals to Jon that Aemon is in fact a Targaryen. A tingle went up my spine. The second time I read the book.

But my answer to this is the scene in AGoT where Maester Aemon reveals to Jon that Aemon is in fact a Targaryen. A tingle went up my spine. The second time I read the book.

One of my favorites as well. That simple interaction transformed Maester Aemon, in my mind, from just a vaguely cool minor character into one of the best characters in the books.

I figure a lot of people will want to vote for the Tower of Joy scene, so I'll propose another of my favorites... The trial by combat between the Red Viper and Gregor Clegane. What incredible drama.

I was going to say the Mountain/Red Viper scene as well, DanteGabriel.

Instead I'll add the scene before the Whispering Wood where Cat is just looking at Robb and thinking about how he has grown and what he has become.

The whole Battle of the Blackwater sequence also tends to amaze me. To see it from the different POVs, and to be so indecisive about who I wanted to win...I hate the Lannisters, but I wanted Tyrion's master plan to be successful.

I could keep going, but I'll give others a chance to answer.

To start, I think my favorite scene was the Red Wedding scene and everything leading up to it. GRRM did a great job of making everything seem a little bit wrong and a little bit sinister, but you didn't quite know what. The whole thing just strecthed you along, until the final climax with Robb's death. At that point, I think GRRM wanted the reader to know that no character is sacred. Very good stuff.

The Red Wedding is the first, last, and only time I paused to yell profanities out loud at a book. And then I had to smoke two consecutive cigarettes before I could pick the book up again.

Having said that, I loved the second of Tyrion's trial's by combat. I knew I'd like Tyrion's wit to be around for a few more books. I also knew he is innocent. I knew Gregor is an evil beast. And the Red Viper is out for long-neglected, well-deserved justice.

I wasn't just curious as to what happened next. I had a definite vested interest.

But this is GRRM. Tyrion couldn't possibly be saved this way twice!

And yet it happens! After an incredible battle between two of the most formidable opponents in all of Westeros, the Mountain lies defeated, the Martell's avenged, and Tyrion innocent! The outcome Tyrion (and I) fervently wished for has come to pass!

And then Prince Oberyn snatches defeat from the jaws of victory and all is lost after all.

Damn you GRRM! Got me again!

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the only one! I guess I type too slow.

Perhaps the best scene, though I reserve the right to change it if someone mentions another of course, is probably in the last Arriane chapter in AFFC. When Doran reveals who he was saving his daughter for, and then talks about vengeance, fire, and blood - that was awesome.

Maybe because I liked Doran even when I thought he was a guy that had seen enough blood, murder, and betrayal and that he would rather turn the other cheek instead of inflict a cycle of violence on all the kids at the Water Gardens. But when instead he comes out as the guy with the longest view of all, that was a great reveal.

Though Lysa Tully's flying lesson really made me smile too.

a couple of people have mentioned Tyrion's trial by combat with the mountain and the Viper, but I also really enjoy his trial with Bronn as his champion. Beautifully illustrates what a lightly armored, highly skilled warrior can do against an overly encumbered opponent. This was the beginning of my man crush on Bronn.

But this is GRRM. Tyrion couldn't possibly be saved this way twice!

And yet it happens! After an incredible battle between two of the most formidable opponents in all of Westeros, the Mountain lies defeated, the Martell's avenged, and Tyrion innocent! The outcome Tyrion (and I) fervently wished for has come to pass!

And then Prince Oberyn snatches defeat from the jaws of victory and all is lost after all.

Damn you GRRM! Got me again!

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the only one! I guess I type too slow.

That was a great fight as well. I kept thinking "Dude, Oberyn is kicking ass here...but Tyrion can't get off so easy, that would make no sense story-wise." Then the Mountain taks Oberyn down to hell with him. Whenever I reread the phrase "And then I crushed her fucking head! Like this!" the word PWNT jush flashes across my mind.

Oh, the Tower of Joy to be sure. I'm not one to thumb my nose to popularity and the scene stands out strongly for me.

Beyond it, I'm also a big fan of Jaime's dream sequence. It mirrors Neds, to a degree, so that's no surprise.

And, of course, Oberyn and Gregor's duel.

Those are my three favorite scenes, and in that order.

The Red Viper vs. The Mountain and The Battle of the Blackwater are my two favorite scenes and have been mentioned. Wanting both Tyrion and Davos to win while disliking both their leaders was an interesting experience.

I also really enjoy Jaime explaining to Brienne why he killed Aerys. Any flashbacks for Jaime are really good (as are Ned's).

I'm a big fight Scane Fan, especilly the ones that show us new info about the charecter or emfsize what we allready know about them.

My faverate is the Hound and Aria's fight in the tavren aginst the mounte's men ,the tickler being one of them. and aria killing him - Amyzing. also we get another scence showing how firce a fighter the hound is.

another good fight is Jamie and Brainn's fight - jamie realizing that brainn is as good with a sword as she strong, I came to like jamie in "A Storm of Swords" and leater on in "A Feast for Crows" Mainly becuse GRRM pounds him down befor showing him in a diffrent light - i.e. lossing the hand, losing to brainn and of lossing/giving up Cersi.

I knew this series was going to be something special the moment that Lady was killed. I think that was the scene where I was offically hooked as I teared up reading it. So it's one of my favorite scenes.

I'm also a major fan of the ToJ, Reeds story of the KotLT (I still sit down almost weekly and reread this scene, it's quite possibly the best chapter in any book I've ever read.), Ned's death is excruciating but really drives home the point that Lady's death brought up and then the other three scenes I've actually had tears over, "King in the North", "Arya Stark of Winterfell", and surprisingly enough Shae's death.

I really wish some friends hadn't spoiled me on Ned's and Robb's death. I knew they were coming and since I did I think it lost some of the emotional context when they bit the bucket. Very good scenes and they really grip me, and I think I would have teared up for them as well, had I not known.

So lesson is, don't spoil this book to your friends!

There are SO MANY. Seriously, for me sometimes it's just whatever I reread last. Yesterday I got up to the finish of Dany's chapter when they're crossing the Red Wastes and then she sends out her bloodriders and Jhogo returns with Pyat Pree, Xaro Xhoan Daos and Quaithe of the Shadow, and thought to myself, god, that was a beautiful chapter, demonstrating Dany's incredible strength and excellent leadership skills, haha.

Yes, I realize I already posted and said I'd stop, but the Lord O' Bones post just reminded me of Dunk's Trial by 7 in The Hedge Knight. His speech beforehand is really what gets me but the Trial itself is amazing as well. The first time I read it I got chills.

And when a certain helmet came off...I swear to you people, I have never been more gripped or terrified. I was sitting in a Barnes and Noble and the enormous gasp that came out of my mouth scared the crap out of even ME, let alone everyone in the crowded cafe. Just to use such words like "half a skull" about this wonderful CHARACTER as if he's just a BODY...I mean, I barely knew the guy, it's not like he's a character whose thoughts I've read for four books, but christ almighty that moment...

a couple of people have mentioned Tyrion's trial by combat with the mountain and the Viper, but I also really enjoy his trial with Bronn as his champion.

Lol, my friend is on his first readthrough and he read that and was like, "Ohh, but I don't want Ser Vardis Egen to die!" I looked at him completely blankly and was like "...um...he..." and he goes "What, he's the least of the deaths i'll have to deal with?" And I was like "Well...YEAH."

(He has a passionate thing for Ned, and Robb is his fave Stark child :-/. Jon follows. But seriously, I didn't even realize that the guy Bronn beat had a name.

I loved the battle with the Others at the Fist.

Also the battle at the wall with the wildlings.

That's such a great passage, the wall fight, with Jon revving up all the little boys...and then going down into the breach to find Donal Noye dead and weeping.

I also really enjoy Jaime explaining to Brienne why he killed Aerys. Any flashbacks for Jaime are really good (as are Ned's).

You know, that was actually the biggest turning point for me on Jaime. I was amazed by that passage, and combined with what he told Catelyn about the way the Stark lords died, and any other flashback he had of his duty to Aerys...his interactions with the other KG, and thoughts about KG...i just cannot get enough of it.

OF course, my two best friends are only up to mid-COK and end-GOT, respectively, and any time I say I LOVE JAIME LANNISTER they're just like WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU! HE KILLED ALL NED'S MEN! And I think to myself that Jory's death was one of the things that hit me the hardest in GOT, and now I'm a Jaime-lover...well, just goes to show you, GRRM...

Jaime's dream was SO evocative.

I love the scene where Sansa meets the Tyrells, because the QoT is fantastic and I was glad that they found out what a monster Joffrey is. And I thought it was really well done, considering that we were two books into the series and still hadn't met two of the Great Houses, and they got a good introduction.

So did Dorne, later on. I love any exchanges between Tyrion and Oberyn.

There are SO MANY MORE. Jaime and Tyrion's parting was SO GOOD and yet SO BAD. You know, I'm going to walk away before I just recount the entire series.

Archived