Favorite/Best scene

Laenn

Everyone has been mentioning the duel between Oberyn and Gregor, but to me, the real highlight of that chapter was Tyrion's speech (which always sends chills through me) and then his conversation with Oberyn about how all the things that are happening now were, in fact, set in motion by the previous generation.

"It all goes back and back, Tyrion thought, to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance on in our steads."

To me, that encapsulates perfectly one of the views this series takes on war and conflict, along with Osha's observation that Robb should be marching north rather than south.

Another favorite scene of mine is where Catelyn goes to visit the sept while she's in Renly's camp and starts seeing the faces of people she knows in the charcoal drawings of the gods. I didn't even remember that one after my first reading, but when I went back, I found it to be incredibly well written. This was around the time that Cat started to grow on me.

I'm a bit of a Jaime fanboy, so several of my favorite scenes involve him. My two favorite chapters in the series are the one where he dreams about Brienne and then goes to rescue her and then the one where he deals with the Kingsguard one by one. To me, these chapters show the changes that Jaime has gone through perfectly: having to use techniques other than violence to solve his problems, and proving quite adept at it as well. Jaime's dream is also probably my favorite dream sequence ever, and his comment to Brienne at the very end of that chapter is one of those lines that will stick with me forever, I think.

Of course, there are tons of others. However, many of them have already been mentioned, or will probably soon be mentioned, due to their popularity, so I'll let others speak for those. The ones I mentioned above are a few of the ones that I felt were really well-written but not as obvious as some of the others.

i can't believe my two favorite scenes haven't been mentioned yet...

1. Dany walking into the fire and coming out unburnt, naked, and breastfeeding dragons.

2. When i thought dany was going to sell drogon...i had a feeling that she would never do that, but GRRM made it really seem like she was selling him, then DRACARYS! burn motherfuckers!!! awesome!

oh yeah, i also love the knight of the laughing tree story, definitely the coolest of any Bran's chapters (sorry bran lovers, but that kid is super boring right now hopefully he gets cool in aDwD)

Joffrey choking was awesome, so well-written. i had been waiting for that little bastard to die for so long. when he's clawing at his neck, fantastic!

Arya killing the tickler for sure, and of course Red Viper and Gregor, and of course the Red Wedding. i cry every time the Greatjon throws the table over Robb.

last one, jaime and brienne fighting, i love the one scene where we get to be in jaime's head while he fights with both hands, it really makes his hand chop so much more gut-wrenching.

I loved every scene where Tyrion had dialogue with Littlefinger or Varys. It was fun hearing Tyrion translate the meaning behind the words.

Some other favorites:

When they find the direwolves.

Arya hiding Needle.

Jon defending the Wall.

Arya and Hound killing Tickler and company.

And when a certain helmet came off...I swear to you people, I have never been more gripped or terrified. I was sitting in a Barnes and Noble and the enormous gasp that came out of my mouth scared the crap out of even ME, let alone everyone in the crowded cafe. Just to use such words like "half a skull" about this wonderful CHARACTER as if he's just a BODY...I mean, I barely knew the guy, it's not like he's a character whose thoughts I've read for four books, but christ almighty that moment...

YES! YES YES and YES!

I was at work reading that on a slow day. And it's the first time that an image from a book stuck with me so long and so vividly. I mean, I already new he was doomed from the Targ timeline in AGOT, but to actually SEE IT IN MY HEAD like that just blew me away.

Ok, got that out of my system...

For me, my favorite scene has to be in the Arya POV when Meryn and company comes for her and Syrio. Because he was another minor character that I so wanted to live and have more adventures with. When the scene began I could so see the two of them getting away and having continuing adeventures until he and Arya hooked back up with the rest of the family.

Boy was I worng on that one.

And then if folding into Arya's flight, her first kill, and so much more.

Most of my favorite scenes have already been mentioned -- Ned's ToJ dream, Jon defending the wall (and Donal's death), the Red Viper/Mountain that Rides duel, and of course the Red Wedding. So I'll throw in a few others.

I really love Dany's trip through the House of the Undying -- not just because of the prophecies, which are truly tantalyzing, but because of how well it's written. Also I'm a minor Drogon fanboy, and it was good to see the little black come into his own.

Jon's election was rather satisfying, and Tyrion's last scene in aSoS was equally so.

But much better than these, I think, was Jon's last chapter in aCoK, the retreat from the Skirling Pass, where the other brothers drop back or leave one by one, and in the end it's Jon versus the Halfhand and the Halfhand has to die... talk about chills!

i can't believe my two favorite scenes haven't been mentioned yet...

1. Dany walking into the fire and coming out unburnt, naked, and breastfeeding dragons.

oh yeah, i also love the knight of the laughing tree story, definitely the coolest of any Bran's chapters (sorry bran lovers, but that kid is super boring right now hopefully he gets cool in aDwD)

Wasn't No. 1 right at the end of GoT too? What a stunning, dramatic image. My first "favorite scene."

I don't think of Bran as a boring character at all, mostly because I'm so intrigued by what he's going to become. If we've been thrown back on our asses by Jaime's transformation, just wait for Bran's!

He comes across as such a normal, likable kid during his waking hours. Watching his powers develop will be fascinating.

I guess I can't like the Red Viper and Gregor scene because I'm still pissed off that Oberyn didn't win. :tantrum: Hmm, maybe I'll make it a new thread - not a great thread, but a thread nonetheless.

Gotta do something whilst waiting for DwD.

i was hoping someone would jump on my bran insult. i know he's going to be really cool but for the whole of aSoS he's super irritating. i know he's a little kid, but arya is too and she is way cooler than bran. if it weren't for jojen and meera bran's chapters would be a snooze-fest.

but, don't attack me bran-lovers!! i know he's going to be super cool, warg spectacular and greenseer and all the other awesome shit coldhands will teach him. i'm sure he will be one of my faves by the end of the series.

oh yeah, i wanted to add that prince doran holding the dragon and saying fire and blood at the end of aFfC was another of my favorite scenes.

and when mormont's raven flew out of the pot and landed on jon's shoulder.

But much better than these, I think, was Jon's last chapter in aCoK, the retreat from the Skirling Pass, where the other brothers drop back or leave one by one, and in the end it's Jon versus the Halfhand and the Halfhand has to die... talk about chills!

That was a great sequence. I also loved when Jon meets Mance for the first time and talks about why he is becoming a turncloak. It is just so convincing and believable, the first time I read it I was just amazed at how well written that really was.

So many scenes...

- Finding the direwolves in AGOT

- Ned's death in AGOT

- The birth of the dragons in AGOT

- Maester Cressen in ACOK

- the "Ghost of Harrenhal" sequences in ACOK

- The House of the Undying in ACOK

- the attack of the Others in ASOS

- the Red Wedding in ASOS

- Joffrey's death in ASOS

- "Dracarys!" in ASOS

- the Red Viper vs The Mountain in ASOS

- Tywin's death in ASOS

- "Fire and blood" in AFFC

Um... I basically have one for each of my favorite characters. So here goes:

My all time Fav scene overall: Jaime & Brienne: When Jaime goes back to save her from the bear pit. I laugh out loud and want to cry at the same time during that chapter everytime. "What are you doing?" "Something stupid."

My second favorite scene

Tyrion: Killing Shae, then his father. I cheered for him at the same time I cried.

Bran: The first time he reaches out and wargs into Hodor, and it scares him. Only because it is like showing us the TIP of the iceberg of where he's going.

Jon: The battle with the wildlings at the Wall, when he goes and finds Ygritte's body after.

Arya: When she kills the guard at Harrenhal. "You killed him!" "Well, what did you think I was going to do?"

Littlefinger: Shoving Lysa out the window. I remember the first time I read that I was like "Whoa! you rock!"

Dany: After she conquers... Quarth? or somewhere in SOS and the people are screaming mother at her, after she burns all the slavers with Drogon. I feel like that is the turning point for her. Where she goes from girl to Queen.

Gendry: When he bows and swears to Lord Baric, and is knighted. I was so happy for him.

The Hound: Um... every single scene with the Hound is moving. The Hound is almost like GRRM's commentator on the world they live in.

Sam: When he says the prayer over Master Aemon's body, and then Gilly and him comfort one another. I was soooo sad and then sooooo happy for him.

As for those I dont like, well... ned made me crazy. Catelyn made me crazy. Sansa is getting better, but used to make me crazy. Cersei needs to get a good case of crabs. Dhampair bores me. I'm tired of Asha referring to her knife as her suckling babe, and well... I outright hate Theon, and I am neutral towards Davos.

I have many "Favorite scenes" here are two to start with

1 - The whole "Winter is coming and the pack survives" scene between Arya and Ned in Arya's room. I don't know why exactly, but I love that scene. "Needle wouldn't break." "It has a name?" etc etc....

2 - of coarse, the tower of joy dream scene. "'No', Ned said with sadness in his voice, 'now it ends'".

TynMahn

-btw - what happend to Dawn anyway? I should know I guess, but I can't remember right now.

-- The scene where Varys visits Ned in his dungeon cell, awaiting his sentencing. You want to hate Varys for letting Ned go down, but after his speech you see that he really didn't have a choice. It's a small but beautifully written scene. He is cold and blunt, but in his own way loyal to the realm, and better able than Ned to see the big picture (and stay alive long enough to continue his work). He tells Ned what an honorable fool he is, and he's right. He learn a lot about Varys here. Some of the sad and profound passages from this scene:

[in Neds's fevered dream about Robert before Varys arrives]

The king heard him. "You stiff-necked fool," he muttered, "too proud to listen. Can you eat pride, Stark? Will honor shield your children?"

----------

Ned frowned. "When they slaughtered my guard, you stood beside the queen and watched, and said not a word."

"And would again. I seem to recall that I was unarmed, unarmored, and surrounded by Lannister swords." The eunuch looked at him curiously, tilting his head. "When I was a young boy, before I was cut, I traveled with a troupe of mummers through the Free Cities. They taught me that each man has a role to play, in life as well as in mummery. So it is at court. The King's Justice must be fearsome, the master of coin must be frugal, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard must be valiant...and the master of whisperers must be sly and obsequious and without scruple. A courageous informer would be as useless as a cowardly knight."

----------

"Can you free me from this pit?"

"I could...but will I? No. Questions would be asked, and the answers would lead back to me."

Ned had expected no more. "You are blunt."

"A eunuch has no honor, and a spider does not enjoy the luxury of scruples, my lord."

"Would you at least consent to carry a message out for me?"

"That would depend on the message. [...] when you have written what you will, I will take the letter and read it, deliver it or not, as best serves my own ends."

"You own ends. What ends are those, Lord Varys?"

"Peace," Varys replied without hesitation. "If there was one soul in King's Landing who was truly desperate to keep Robert Baratheon alive, it was me." He sighed. "For fifteen years I protected him from his enemies, but I could not protect him from his friends. What strange fit of madness led you to tell the queen that you had learned the truth of Joffrey's birth?"

"The madness of mercy," Ned admitted.

"Ah," said Varys. "To be sure. You are an honest and honorable man, Lord Eddard. Ofttimes I forget that. I have met so few of them in my life." He glanced around the cell. "When I see what honesty and honor have won you, I understand why."

[...]

"It was not wine that killed the king. It was your mercy."

----------

"The high septon once told me that as we sin, so do we suffer. If that's true, Lord Eddard, tell me...why is it always the innocents who suffer the most, when you high lords play your game of thrones? [...] The next visitor who calls on you could bring you bread and cheese and the milk of the poppy for your pain...or he could bring you Sansa's head."

"The choice, my dear lord Hand, is entirely yours."

• 1 month later...

The last Sansa chapter of ASOS was also amazing. The revelation that it was Lysa who killed Jon, and then set the whole Starks-on-their-guard thing into motion...also realizing just how much LF was behind things. Plus I just love that GRRM had her build a snow castle. How often do we see that?

Sequences of Jaime in Riverrun in AFFC were awesome too - his conversations with Daven, Genna, the war council, the Blackfish, Edmure...just really awesome.

Now that I look back on it, Tyrion's trial (the one where Tywin, Mace and Oberyn were the panel) was actually a really amazing scene. I know this because I HATED that scene so much. All my emotions were all twisted, because it was such a good portrayal of how hypocritical all those courtiers are, how unfair and injust it all was, knowing he was innocent...and then at the very end, the fucking Red Viper gets up and is like, oh, yeah, i'll champion him. HAHAHAHAHAHA! Fan-fucking-tastic. Plus, Shae's betrayal was SUCH a hot knife in the back. And it was good to see some nice behavior from Balon Swann :)

A few of my favorites have been mentioned, so let me just add two more:

Arya's last chapter in ASOS, when she presents the iron coin and says valar morghulis and gains passage to Braavos.

The voting of Lord Commander of the NW, when Dolorous Edd keeps getting a vote :lol:

I don't know about you, but I got a great surge of excitement when King Stannis Baratheon appeared beyond the wall, laying waste to Mance Raider and his Wildlings. I never cared much for Mance, and he was getting cocky with Jon bragging about the Horn of Winter and his grand master plan, so it felt great when Stannis came to put him in his place. That entire event was so sudden and unexpected. I also loved Stannis' line, "I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, but should have been saving the kingdom to win the throne".

Archived