What happened to Shiera?

She calls herself Quaithe now ;)

Nah, I don't really believe that all that much but I do believe if Quaithe turns out to be anyone we've heard of before in the story it will be Shiera Seastar (not Ashara Dayne and I don't believe Ashara is Septa Lemore either). I also believe Shiera was/is a sorceress but I doubt the bathing in blood stuff. As far as what happened to her? No one knows much :dunno:

Any theories on what happened to her? Did she have any descendants? Could she still be alive? Do you think there's any truth in the rumors of her bathing in blood?

I think she could be foreshadowing for someone else. I think she is likely dead as BR is 100+ years-old by now. I think the rumors were likely just rumors created by jealous female courtiers.

Never married, so no legitimate issue. There's no confirmation that she died without giving birth to any bastard children, however, although great seductress types are not typically maternally minded. Nor do we know how she died.

A popular theory was that Melisandre was Shiera, but Melisandre's backstory as revealed in ADWD seems to have ruled that possibility out.

One interesting point is that Illyrio's Lysene wife, Serra, has a name that evokes not only "Shiera" but also the name of Shiera's mother, Serenei of Lys. Shiera's father, Aegon IV, also physically evokes Illyrio: slender and gorgeous in his youth, extremely bloated and fat in later years. So there's a bit of a symbolic link between Serra and Shiera, a famed Targaryen bastard of the same generation as Daemon Blackfyre (her cousin), the founder of the Blackfyre line, and Serenei of Lys, a Lysene beauty. There's also a bit of a parallel between Illyrio and Aegon IV.

So if you buy the theory that Aegon VI is actually a Blackfyre descendant, the Illyrio/Aegon IV and Serra/Shiera/Serenei parallels seem to point to a Blackfyre connection, in a low-key sort of way.

I think maybe we'll find out more from the D&Es. She's more of a character from that storyline than from the novels. I hope we do anyway, anyone who can make the coolest character in the series dance like a puppet has got to be something. :)

Nah, I don't really believe that all that much but I do believe if Quaithe turns out to be anyone we've heard of before in the story it will be Shiera Seastar (not Ashara Dayne and I don't believe Ashara is Septa Lemore either). I also believe Shiera was/is a sorceress but I doubt the bathing in blood stuff. As far as what happened to her? No one knows much :dunno:

I'm going off topic but it sounds like you used to believe Septa Lemore is Ashara Dayne and you changed your mind. What changed your opinion on the matter? I'm just curious because I also think Ashara=Lemore.

I'm going off topic but it sounds like you used to believe Septa Lemore is Ashara Dayne and you changed your mind. What changed your opinion on the matter? I'm just curious because I also think Ashara=Lemore.

Hmm...I'm sorry if I came across that way. I've never believed Lemore is Ashara :dunno:

Sorry, to keep going off topic but now I'm curious - if you think Lemore is Ashara does that mean you think Aegon is her son by a "Stark" or do you think Aegon is legit?

I think maybe we'll find out more from the D&Es. She's more of a character from that storyline than from the novels. I hope we do anyway, anyone who can make the coolest character in the series dance like a puppet has got to be something. :)

On topic: Yes, I agree with you about Bloodraven and it seems he's not the only one Shiera made dance like a puppet. There was also Bittersteel, of course, but the wiki says she took many lovers.

Hmm...I'm sorry if I came across that way. I've never believed Lemore is Ashara :dunno:

Sorry, to keep going off topic but now I'm curious - if you think Lemore is Ashara does that mean you think Aegon is her son by a "Stark" or do you think Aegon is legit?

On topic: Yes, I agree with you about Bloodraven and it seems he's not the only one Shiera made dance like a puppet. There was also Bittersteel, of course, but the wiki says she took many lovers.

I do think it's possible that Aegon is the son of Ashara and Brandon. But he could also be Rhaegar's son (why would Varys claim he is the real Aegon when talking to a dying Kevan? If a character is dying they are usually being told the truth). So I'm not 100%. He could also be a Blackfyre, but I don't think he is.

I am pretty sure septa Lemore is someone important, otherwise Tyrion wouldn't give so much thought to who she really is.

Sounds about right.

Never married, so no legitimate issue. There's no confirmation that she died without giving birth to any bastard children, however, although great seductress types are not typically maternally minded. Nor do we know how she died.

A popular theory was that Melisandre was Shiera, but Melisandre's backstory as revealed in ADWD seems to have ruled that possibility out.

One interesting point is that Illyrio's Lysene wife, Serra, has a name that evokes not only "Shiera" but also the name of Shiera's mother, Serenei of Lys. Shiera's father, Aegon IV, also physically evokes Illyrio: slender and gorgeous in his youth, extremely bloated and fat in later years. So there's a bit of a symbolic link between Serra and Shiera, a famed Targaryen bastard of the same generation as Daemon Blackfyre (her cousin), the founder of the Blackfyre line, and Serenei of Lys, a Lysene beauty. There's also a bit of a parallel between Illyrio and Aegon IV.

So if you buy the theory that Aegon VI is actually a Blackfyre descendant, the Illyrio/Aegon IV and Serra/Shiera/Serenei parallels seem to point to a Blackfyre connection, in a low-key sort of way.

I thought this way for a while but if And it's a big if Illyrio can be believed what was Shiera or her offspring doing in a Lysene pillow house?

I thought this way for a while but if And it's a big if Illyrio can be believed what was Shiera or her offspring doing in a Lysene pillow house?

Maybe trying to survive, running away from Aerys' knives (my theory is that he sent Steffon to look for Blackfyres, the whole thing about getting a bride for Rhaegar being a cover), much like Dany and Viserys did, minus the pillow house thing.

I'm not saying Serra was descended from Shiera, since for all we know she died childless, but Serra could very well be descended from the Blackfyre line, which was founded by a cousin of Shiera's. Serra/Shiera/Serenei and Aegon IV/Illyrio parallels seem to be gently prodding us to make that little connection.

I'm not saying Serra was descended from Shiera, since for all we know she died childless, but Serra could very well be descended from the Blackfyre line, which was founded by a cousin of Shiera's. Serra/Shiera/Serenei and Aegon IV/Illyrio parallels seem to be gently prodding us to make that little connection.

Gotcha. I think Illyrio is the Blackfyre.

Archived