Why do people like/dislike Stannis?

Maxxwell

But people might as well 'discuss' this topic if it's not going to be locked.

Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come.

You are dead men, understand that, Only the manner of your dying remains to be determined.

— you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt.

I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?

That's why I like him.

I like him because he seems "real". It's easy to empathize and sympathize with his character. From his introduction through Cressen in ACoK, I was in love with him.

And since this seems to be a continuation of the last thread (which had its interesting moments):

Except that, at this particular point in the story it's pretty clear that Stannis doesn't accept any god or gods.I believe there's a passage saying how he turned his back on them all when he saw his parents killed.

It's hard to say exactly when or even if Stannis becomes a true believer in R'hllor. My impression is that it's at about the time he goes to the Wall. YMMV. It isn't explicit in the text AFAIK. It is explicit in the text that he's not a believer at any time during ACoK, though. So these acts couldn't have been in service to his god.

This quote:

“I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men.”

“If you do not believe in gods-”

“-why trouble with this new one?” Stannis broke in. “I have asked myself as well. I know little and care less of gods, but the red priestess has power.”

I don't agree with your assertion that it is pretty clear that Stannis doesn't accept any god. I interpret this passage to mean that Stannis does not like the idea of the gods, but Mel's "power/magic" has him questioning the existence of R'hllor. I will not deny that he views her powers as means to an end, but based on his comments throughout the text I'm pretty sure that he at least questioned the existence of R'hllor. Stannis is limited by his own knowledge, so I would assume that he believes Mel gets her power from her god that also becomes his god in ACoK. When we are introduced to Stannis in ACoK, he is every bit the man alluded to by various characters in AGoT. This is proven as we read the conversation between Stannis and Cressen regarding Stannis' claim to the throne. We are then given the exact period of time when Stannis takes the shift into a different kind of man that has been swayed by religious power.

During the conversation with Cressen in the prologue of ACoK, Stannis is preparing to ask Lysa Arryn and the Starks for help against the Lannisters. He is agonizing over it, but realizes that he has no other choice. Selyse comes in making claims about R'hllor and Renly's death in the flames, Cressen is dismissed, and that next time we see Stannis he is a different man. Whatever happened between the time Cressen left Stannis in the room with Selyse until he rejoins Stannis at the dinner table, has changed Stannis' view of Mel and R'hllor. In the span of a few hours alone with Selyse and possibly Mel, Stannis went from complaining about his numbers to wanting to wage war solely based on Mel's visions. He must have been shown a great deal of power to make such a drastic change, and where would Stannis believe this power originates? R'hllor, because that is where Mel believes it originates. He may not like the idea of R'hllor, but he does not feel that he can deny the power of R'hllor.

Stannis then makes this comment in ACoK:

"It sounds as though you love my new god no more than you love my new maester."

It is debatable whether Stannis believes or doesn't believe in ACoK, but it is in no way explicitly stated that he doesn't believe.

I hated him back then.

Why?

I fell in love with him at the beginning of the Cressen chapter, disliked him toward the end of the chapter, was upset with him after the Battle of the Blackwater, forgave him when he went North, and then fell back in love with him after he

gave his "why should I fear Ramsay" speech to Theon.

I love my Stanny Boo! :wub:

There are literally dozens of threads on this very subject, a new one was not needed.

Not another one... :stillsick:

Look here, OP.

That one and all the others are locked.

Seriously? Creating an account just to rehash this crap?

No. I created this account over five days ago.

Why?

I fell in love with him at the beginning of the Cressen chapter, disliked him toward the end of the chapter, was upset with him after the Battle of the Blackwater, forgave him when he went North, and then fell back in love with him after he...

How could you fall in love with him when he hasn't even appeared yet?

Archived