(Spoilers) Michiel Huisman cast. Replacing Ed Skrein as Daario Naharis?

Mark Antony

I can't believe they replaced Skrein as Daario. Not that he was so great or anything, but the effect on continuity is going to be jarring. Recasting the Mountain was one thing, he had minimal screen time (and no dialogue other than "SWORD!!!" that I can recall), but Ed was featured a lot in S3. They might as well just make this new guy a different character imo.

Ed wasn't that bad that a recasting was merited, so I've got to wonder what happened behind the scenes to prompt such a drastic action....

Recasting the Mountain was one thing, he had minimal screen time (and no dialogue other than "SWORD!!!" that I can recall), but Ed was featured a lot in S3. They might as well just make this new guy a different character imo.

Yeah I really feel for the unsullied who are already having trouble keeping up with characters.

Such weird news. I realize the cast is big and unruly, thus hard to control, but I always get disappointed when I hear about recasts...especially as big as this one. The series is already bloated with so many names and faces, having different actors play the same character isn't going to do much in the way of keeping viewers oriented.

I can't believe they replaced Skrein as Daario. Not that he was so great or anything, but the effect on continuity is going to be jarring. Recasting the Mountain was one thing, he had minimal screen time (and no dialogue other than "SWORD!!!" that I can recall), but Ed was featured a lot in S3. They might as well just make this new guy a different character imo.

Ed wasn't that bad that a recasting was merited, so I've got to wonder what happened behind the scenes to prompt such a drastic action....

I agree...just to change it up a little bit, I remember when I use to watch soap operas, on Friday you would see an actor doing a love scene with one actress and then the following Monday he would wake up with another one. Now that was jarring, but maybe with a year between the two, it won't seem so much.

There's probably been a scheduling conflict, or some other major issue. They wouldn't have bothered casting Skrein for three episodes if this was the plan all along, obviously. I'm very curious as to the exact reason. They put a lot of effort into making Daario memorable from the beginning, and the majority of the Unsullied will notice this one. I suppose this is a side effect of having such a huge cast (is it the largest tv cast ever? I think it might be, though I don't have a link to back myself up).

This is clearly true, and I'm just happy that it's a character as relatively minor as Daario. Huisman is easily the better actor, in my opinion, based solely on his performance as Sonny in (the criminally under-appreciated) Treme. It may seem weird at first, I'm sure, but I'm not at all surprised to see something like this happen. The sheer size of the Game of Thrones main and supporting cast dwarfs just about any other television production in history (I think Band of Brothers might give the show a run for its money in terms of the number of speaking roles, though), which meant that it was just a matter of time.

In any case, I'll wait to see how the change is handled - particularly how Huisman looks in full costume and make-up - before getting too worked up. I'm already convinced that the performance itself will be an improvement (not that I didn't like Skrein in the role; I thought he was really good, for the most part), so hopefully the recast is handled in such a way that doesn't make it too distracting. And before long, Huisman will have spent more time in the role than Skrein, and we'll all be thinking about how weird it's going to be to re-watch the show and see Ed Skrein as Daario instead of Michiel Huisman.

Archived