Rhaenys and Meraxes

It's very likely that Rhaenys and Meraxes died during a failed Conquest of Dorne. So her and Meraxes most likely ended said failed attempt to conquer Dorne rather than to provoke another attempt. Especially if the Dornish did not only kill her and her dragon, but also severely decimated the army she had undoubtedly brought with her.

We should keep in mind that it was Rhaenys who went to Sunspear and told Mariya Martell that she would return 'with fire and blood'. She would have demanded to be the one in charge of the Conquest of Dorne since she was the one who failed at the first time.

perhaps House Toland wasn't involved. After all, if they had killed Meraxes and Rhaenys and adopted a sigil demonstrating this, I find it hard to believe that Aegon would not use Balerion to destroy their castle and burn their lands.

Perhaps he did. The Toland seat is called Ghost Hill, after all...

Rhaenys should have left Dorne alone like they told her after she failed to conquer it the first time.

Maybe Aegon didn't unleash fire and blood because he realized that if they really were able to kill a dragon then they could do it again with him and his dragon. If he left for Dorne and died, all of his hard work would be for nothing because even the Dragon King was felled, the other Kingdoms could probably take their chance and decide to revolt.

Maybe we will find out that Brandon Snow, the bastard brother of the King who Knelt, married into a Dornish family and he helped take down the dragon.

Ok so I found out from the Bubacon notes that it was during Aegon's rule, not during the conquest.

I think Rhaenys tried to conquer Dorne again and she got killed, but that brings another question, would Aegon go for revenge, or was he afraid because they were able to kill a dragon

I doubt Aegon was that cowardly. If he couldn't use the dragons, he'd have used something else, if they'd killed his sister and her dragon.

Personally I'm betting they died of natural causes....or of causes that were never proved to be unnatural. You can't really "ambush" something that can fly, and the Targs ruled long enough that if an Automatic Dragon Death Trick was discovered, their rivals would have hunted it out and used it...

We should keep in mind that it was Rhaenys who went to Sunspear and told Mariya Martell that she would return 'with fire and blood'. She would have demanded to be the one in charge of the Conquest of Dorne since she was the one who failed at the first time.

And when Aegon heard the words of the Frog Princess, he said "nevermind, Dorne stays where it is," and the war was over. I have a hard time believing Rhaenys would launch an attack without him, and there's no way he would have let it go if they'd killed his sister and her dragon. This is what makes me think she and her dragon died because of something else.

And when Aegon heard the words of the Frog Princess, he said "nevermind, Dorne stays where it is," and the war was over. I have a hard time believing Rhaenys would launch an attack without him, and there's no way he would have let it go if they'd killed his sister and her dragon. This is what makes me think she and her dragon died because of something else.

Well, there are rumors that Rhaenys entertained other men. Perhaps Aegon finally caught her in the act and banned her from his court. She might have wanted to reclaim his favor by giving him Dorne.

For the revenge scenario, it's possible Aegon did take vengeance on the killers of Rhaenys & Meraxes, but left the rest of Dorne alone because of the risk.

In general I think the risk and unwillingness of Aegon's vassals is the primary factor. We can assume Jaehaerys left Dorne alone because of his personality, but there needs to be a reason for the future Targ kings to have avoided Dorne. These deaths (and as Lord Varys suggested, the likely destruction of her army) could definitely be that reason.

Archived