The SFF All-Time Sales List

Werthead

I was interested in the link to the discussion about writers' incomes, upthread. It seems you can be both good, and fairly successful, yet make very little money out of writing. In UK terms, you would have to be very successful indeed to be making c.£30,000 a year from writing. That's enough to live on if you're single; not really if you're raising a family.

One acquaintance of mine wrote a succession of literary novels that achieved considerable critical acclaim - and sold about half a dozen copies each. He wrote a series of thrillers under a pseudonym that bought him a flat in Primrose Hill.

I went with the 2 million figure for Piers Anthony. It seems a little low, but the BS he was speaking about Tolkien elsewhere in the interview (he had to pay someone to publish LotR? Er, no) doesn't fill me with confidence about his own claims. Anthony is also pretty much unknown outside the United States and he'd need a substantial international audience to hit tens of millions of sales like he claims.

Gemmell's total sales appear to between 1 and 1.5 million. Gemmell never made enough from his books so he could stop writing, and lived from book to book. I think he had quite a nice house and lived quite well, but to support that he needed to keep writing. The main reason for his low sales is that he never cracked the USA and got a good US publisher behind him (same problem Banks has, or used to have before Orbit US took off, actually). If he had, his sales would easily by a lot higher.

And yes, 50,000 copies per book is actually very good. Some authors stay in print selling only 10,000 copies or so per book.

Amazing. I remember when I lived London. Every new Gemmell book was advertised all over the place. I really thought he did better than your description above.

All I can say, in that case, is that US readers have been missing out on some really great novels.

David Dalglish (author of Shadowdance series)

David Dalglish generously share his updated sales number (175,000) with the Kindle Boards on of Feb 14, 2012.

Jaye Wells

She has grossed over 200,000 copies for the Sabina Kane series.

Darren Shan

In total, Shan’s books have sold over twenty-five million copies worldwide.

Paolo Bacigalupi

“The Windup Girl” sold 200,000 copies

James Lovegrove

James Lovegrove is returning to his New York Times bestselling Pantheon series – which has sold over 100,000 copies worldwide – where gods are made real and men have to contend with their rule.

Stan Nicholls

My Orcs: First Blood trilogy - Bodyguard of Lightning, Legion of Thunder and Warriors of the Tempest - published in the UK by Gollancz, is a worldwide bestseller, with one million, two hundred and fifty thousand copies sold as of 2010.

Ben Aaronovitch

Aaronovitch is one of Orion’s most successful authors, having sold over 300,000 copies of his Rivers of London series

Brandon Sanderson

15 million Brandon Sanderson books sold.

Jacqueline Carey

Carey was an established author, but the first Kushiel trilogy became a publishing phenomenon, selling millions of copies and winning her a devoted following.

Anne Rice

Rice has sold 136 million copies of her 25 books.

Elizabeth Moon

Over 1,500,000 copies of Elizabeth Moon’s works sold in the US alone!!

Alexey Pehov

The Chronicles of Siala series is a huge bestseller in Pehov’s native Russia. Over a million copies have been sold

Bored of the Rings by Henry N. Beard & Douglas C. Kenney

Written by two Harvard Lampoon staffers in 1969 and published by Signet, the book, according to publicist Catherine Milne, is a very steady seller, with more than a million copies in print.

Larry Niven (1997)

the Ringworld trilogy has more than 7 million copies in print.

Russell Kirkpatrick (2008)

Orbit recently published Russell Kirkpatrick’s Fire of Heaven Trilogy: Across the Face of the World, In the Earth Abides the Flame, and The Right Hand of God. The saga has 70,000 copies in print combined.

The WoT books will be an appreciable fraction of Sanderson's sales, but probably not more than 50% at best. Sales of Sanderson's other books are very high according to Tor and booksellers.

Looks like I was wrong about Sanderson. Of his 15 million sales, a surprisingly low 2.6 million* are for his solo work (1.5 million for the Mistborn trilogy as a whole) which means 12.5 million or thereabouts is for WoT. That also pushes WoT sales up to 56 million, most of them in the United States and Canada alone. Worldwide sales will be vastly higher still (5 million pre-Sanderson WoT books had been sold in Britain alone by 2009), maybe a lot higher even than my 80 million estimate.

* Which is still obviously enormously impressive, just not as quite as massive as I was expecting due to Tor's positioning of him as one of their post-Jordan flagship authors.

John Saul

Today he has over 60 million books in print.

Gregory Maguire (2011)

With more than six million copies of the first three volumes in print, books in The Wicked Series have also been published in twenty countries

William King

His English language novel sales for Black Library total over 750,000 copies and his books have been translated into 9 languages.

F. Paul Wilson

Overall, my novels have been sold in 24 languages around the world. The total? Without fear of exaggeration, it’s more than 8 million copies.

John Gregory Betancourt

He now has well over a million books in print

Updated figures:

Gordon R. Dickson

Dickson's books sold more than 10 million copies and were translated into such languages as Portuguese and Bulgarian.

L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

Modesitt’s fantasy audience has been large for years, and there are now over two million copies of his books in print.

Archived