Boarders writing a novel, part 10

First of My Name

Finished my fourth book, third in the series. In Stone clocks in at 183,000 words. It took my 2.5 months to complete the entire first draft, but I lost a fair amount of time during Christmas, so it was in truth a little less on a per day business. I had a monster day of 11k words on Sunday, which was cool.

Having decided to go through the self-published route I suddenly find myself free of the constraints of worrying about word count to the detriment of the story. That being said, I have the benefit of a dedicated editor and several proof readers. Salome Sand Witch from the boards is doing the editing, while JEORDHI and Monday are proving invaluable proof readers, amongst a few others not on the board. It has been a real benefit getting to know some of the boarders in my city of residence.

I've set for myself a fairly rigorous schedule:

Go through the final fixes to In Scars by the end of the month. Now that I'm going indie I can jettison the word count problem that forced the end of the book to be more compressed than I would have liked. A benefit to finishing the third book (In Stone) in the series is that a character that was problematic, meaning that she was not as fleshed out as some other characters, is suddenly more vivid in my mind. Now I can fix her chapters in this book to reflect her character.

In Sorrows: Third draft and edit.

House of Water: The stand alone novel. Second and Third draft before the edit.

I'm aiming to have all three books ready to go for the end of august to be released as e-books. Currently looking for a graphic artist for the covers. Likely going to have an audio book of In Scars ready at the same time, though as I am relying on SSW for that, and considering the work load I've set before her, that might not happen. We shall see.

Fun fact discovered while editing over the weekend: I killed the wrong guy in chapter 8.

:)

I had to revive him, bring in another red shirt, and then devise another way for him to die. The protagonist was adamant in making sure I was right this time before driving the dagger under the new guy's chin. The resurrected character is recovering and is expected to live.

For the near future.

I've had a variant of that. The same guy dies, but he was killed by the wrong person.

Finished my fourth book, third in the series. In Stone clocks in at 183,000 words. It took my 2.5 months to complete the entire first draft, but I lost a fair amount of time during Christmas, so it was in truth a little less on a per day business. I had a monster day of 11k words on Sunday, which was cool.

Having decided to go through the self-published route I suddenly find myself free of the constraints of worrying about word count to the detriment of the story. That being said, I have the benefit of a dedicated editor and several proof readers. Salome Sand Witch from the boards is doing the editing, while JEORDHI and Monday are proving invaluable proof readers, amongst a few others not on the board. It has been a real benefit getting to know some of the boarders in my city of residence.

I've set for myself a fairly rigorous schedule:

Go through the final fixes to In Scars by the end of the month. Now that I'm going indie I can jettison the word count problem that forced the end of the book to be more compressed than I would have liked. A benefit to finishing the third book (In Stone) in the series is that a character that was problematic, meaning that she was not as fleshed out as some other characters, is suddenly more vivid in my mind. Now I can fix her chapters in this book to reflect her character.

In Sorrows: Third draft and edit.

House of Water: The stand alone novel. Second and Third draft before the edit.

I'm aiming to have all three books ready to go for the end of august to be released as e-books. Currently looking for a graphic artist for the covers. Likely going to have an audio book of In Scars ready at the same time, though as I am relying on SSW for that, and considering the work load I've set before her, that might not happen. We shall see.

Yay you!

Archived