Boarders writing a novel, part 10

First of My Name

If its 6 where you live then it should be around 5 where I do so that should work. What day? The 18th or 19th? [if you haven't made up your mind I can wait till you do. We still got two months ahead of us after all.] My Skype name is Anas.Abusalih, which is my real name if your wondering. If you need more info feel free to ask.

If its 6 where you live then it should be around 5 where I do so that should work. What day? The 18th or 19th? [if you haven't made up your mind I can wait till you do. We still got two months ahead of us after all.] My Skype name is Anas.Abusalih, which is my real name if your wondering. If you need more info feel free to ask.

I'll let you know in a little while.. I want to see who else is interested before I pick a date that only works for me and you.

Would anyone be interested in a sample chapter or two from the first book in my series? I was thinking of possibly doing a reading on Skype in December.

I would, but I don't have Skype. Maybe I could PM you my email address and you could mail me to them? I could give some feedback if you'd like, I did the same for Jaime's Wench a couple weeks ago.

I have printed my first three chapters off and it's going to sit on the dining room table for a week or two before I give it the final edit.

(It's strange how printed off I already cringe at things more than I would if it was on screen!)

I have printed my first three chapters off and it's going to sit on the dining room table for a week or two before I give it the final edit.

(It's strange how printed off I already cringe at things more than I would if it was on screen!)

I'm hoping to do something similar at the end of this week. In fact, my new printer is arriving at 12. I'm excited and nervous to see it in print form. Still got a few more days of work to do on it first though.

Yep. I remember reading the screen version of my second draft, thinking it was OK, then printing it out and re-reading it. My reaction was "did I write this crap?"

One of my Philosophy lecturer's once referred to this as the Law of Infinite Misprints: no matter how many times you check a document there will always be one more typo. I have yet to see this law disproved.

Happily I'm a long way off worrying about that, none of my projects are close to printing stage right now.

On train about to leave London Euston to Glasgow. The plan: Finish the last 40 pages of my third draft, then (hopefully) finish reading Sailor to a siren.

So close and yet so far... :D How close to "complete book" do you think your third draft is?

It's strange how printed off I already cringe at things more than I would if it was on screen!

This is why I always do at least one edit on paper.

Do any of you edit on a tablet?

I've been considering getting an eReader, but would love one that I could read and edit my (and friend's *cough*it'scomingeloisa*cough*) manuscripts. I don't think I'd use a tablet for actual writing (aside from capturing a scene or thought while away from home).

I'm looking at the Kindle Fire mostly for price. There's a $15 app that can edit/create Word docs. I'd probably consider a Surface for the full version of MS Word if it wasn't so freakin' expensive (I might as well buy a laptop at that price).

I guess I could start a separate thread, but figured I'd poll folks who have the same uses for tablets that I do. :)

So close and yet so far... :D How close to "complete book" do you think your third draft is?

Dunno. Hopefully almost, but I need other opinions, I'm struggling to get a big picture of it :

I could do another polish, but I'd rather find out and change bits that just dont work than waste time polishing them.

I've been considering getting an eReader, but would love one that I could read and edit my (and friend's *cough*it'scomingeloisa*cough*) manuscripts. I don't think I'd use a tablet for actual writing (aside from capturing a scene or thought while away from home).

I'm looking at the Kindle Fire mostly for price. There's a $15 app that can edit/create Word docs. I'd probably consider a Surface for the full version of MS Word if it wasn't so freakin' expensive (I might as well buy a laptop at that price).

I guess I could start a separate thread, but figured I'd poll folks who have the same uses for tablets that I do. :)

I have the Kindle Fire and have used it to read my novel. However, I'm yet to find an app which I can use to go in and edit. There probably is one... I just haven't bothered to look very hard. Kindle Fire is well worth the purchase though!

I edit on my Google Nexus 7 with the Kingsoft Office app. It works well enough, and it's useful when I'm on the go. Otherwise I prefer editing on the computer.

Archived