Comics VIII - the Crime Syndic8 of America

red snow

I get that but if you are a non-mutant hero with a secret identity no-one knows how you got your powers. Even if you were to tell them you could still be a mutant making shit up. So while being a non-mutant with powers isn't a threat for the reasons you state there's no reason why they aren't actually mutants.

I agree that doesn't make sense, as there's no way people in general would know who is or isn't a mutant.

I've always thought the mutant hate comes from mankind's exaggerated sense of self-importance, that simply cannot coexist with the knowledge that you're outdated and the next species, the one superior to you, that will inherit the Earth from you, is already there, that they can be that neighbor you've always hated, etc.

]Locke and Key Alpha #1: Apparently there's one more over-sized issue left. Will have to do a reread. Loved so many of these characters, and the art is just perfect. Gotta hope the door's open to revisit these characters....Well if Joe Hill is like his dad it's almost a guarantee. :-)

I'm excited to see how the story plays out, but bummed its coming to an end, absolutely great book.

I agree that doesn't make sense, as there's no way people in general would know who is or isn't a mutant.

I've always thought the mutant hate comes from mankind's exaggerated sense of self-importance, that simply cannot coexist with the knowledge that you're outdated and the next species, the one superior to you, that will inherit the Earth from you, is already there, that they can be that neighbor you've always hated, etc.

Yeah I can kind of "see" the hate humans may have if they saw mutants as a separate species (like Magneto and the acolytes used to preach). The thing is that they aren't - they are just the next step. Still going to get those inferiority complexes sparked if you aren't one of them. Also there's those sneaky mutants who look like regular folks. I can imagine humans in MU saying "I'm fine with mutants that look like mutants BUT I don't like those sneaky ones"

I'm excited to see how the story plays out, but bummed its coming to an end, absolutely great book.

Yeah, it has been one of the best books on the stand since it came out. Just managed to tie in so many emotional beats with the Lovecraftian horror angle.

Looking forward to seeing what these guys do next, though IIRC Joe Hill is going to take a break from comics? Maybe Rodriguez can team up with Clive Barker again give how gorgeous Seduth was.

Yeah, it has been one of the best books on the stand since it came out. Just managed to tie in so many emotional beats with the Lovecraftian horror angle.

Looking forward to seeing what these guys do next, though IIRC Joe Hill is going to take a break from comics? Maybe Rodriguez can team up with Clive Barker again give how gorgeous Seduth was.

Joe seems to be gaining a lot of traction with his books so I could imagine it being hard to get him to do comics unless he feels the medium is essential. I enjoyed the first trade and look forward to getting the whole thing upon completion.

Yeah, I think there was a time when any hero without a clear origin for their powers was suspected of being a mutant. Also sucked that the Avengers didn't do as much to deal with the bigotry facing mutants.

That said, it never really worked that well but was good as an analogy to racism. Stan Lee was also on panel with a guy who awhile back who'd written a novel about gay superheroes. Was really cool that Stan was there.

Grant Morrison did do a thing where Japan had a totally different outlook on mutants, and he did show how some people were making big strides in mutant acceptance akin to minorities in the Western World having cultural influence.

=-=-=

X-men #5: Pretty good, I'm liking Battle for the Atom though I'm a bit confused by the time travel rules. I swear Beast said there would be no paradox at some point?

Oh, and I caught up on this series. Good stuff, worth checking out. One of the better cape comics out there IMO.

Manhattan Projects #14: Intrigue and betrayal continue. What more can you expect from genius misfits. :-)

Avengers #19: Great stuff. Really liking Infinity. Personally I'm enjoying the fact that the Avengers have a scale problem, where they alone simply cannot fight off the Builders.

Three great issues, I agree.

I thought Second Coming was great. A vs X wasn't bad either.

Second Coming was great (Schism was okay too.)

A vs X was ABYSMAL. Also it wasn't an X-Men event, it was an Avengers event in which the X-Men played villains and hangers on.

I'm likig Battle of the Atom a lot. Great characters beats overall.

Infinity, I'm a bit split about. The Avengers in space part is great; good epic storytelling. The stuff with Thanos mostly bores me (and I feel is off on some characters - Namor kneeling??). Will see how it shapes up.

Catching up to the current volume of Astonishing X-Men (#36 - ...). I don't know which is worse: the art, or the writing. Was Marvel deliberately trying to fail to sell a book? Success. I hear it gets better after Liu takes over; I think I'll just jump to #48.

Liu's run starts shaky but gets better - in a slow paced, character focussed way - and is currently one of the best X-Book (which is tough because there's a lot of great X-Titles right now). I'll be sorry to see Liu stop writing for Marvel, she's been a joy with many characters. And she writes the only Wolverine I don't hate. I wish they could give her a Mystique ongoing.

Three great issues, I agree.

What I like about Infinity is that here's a situation where Captain America's contribution really is - and really can only be - his leadership.

Same with most of the team - at the moment they can help evacuate and care for refuges, or be strong for each other. They really are up against something that outclasses them.

Usually I feel like there's some twist where Captain America will get an action moment that saves the day, and I suspect that'll happen here eventually, but the scale of the threat seems more convincing - and the heroes [Avengers] more relatable - when the heroes are a tiny part of the resistance.

I was assuming he was echoing the issue in Ultimate Spiderman were Parker dies.

or amazing 700?

For obvious reasons, I find the Magneto one the cutest :wub:

The Peter Parker is the saddest though :crying:

I did like the symbology of Polaris being on one hand and the twins on the other.

X-men #5: Pretty good, I'm liking Battle for the Atom though I'm a bit confused by the time travel rules. I swear Beast said there would be no paradox at some point?

The logistics of BotA is what is keeping me from truly enjoying it. It seems two opposing views on time travel are being used, which I can't quite understand. You either buy into the fact that time travel causes damage to the timeline, or you're someone who believes time travel doesn't necessarily change anything, it just creates another timeline which splinters off the "original" one.

With Kitty and Rachel agreeing that the original 5 should be allowed to make their own decision on whether they stay, it's essentially putting stock in the fact that this timeline can't be altered. Letting the original 5 stay in the present for any prolonged period should mean the present shouldn't be the present. Unless, of course, it's inconsequential, and the only thing the original 5's disappearance will accomplish is establish an alternate Earth without the original X-Men.

But, then you have the situation where young Scott gets injured and older Scott almost vanishes.

I can't quite wrap my head around the physics of it all because you can't really have it both ways. But time travel has always been a great way to give me a migraine, so I'm completely open to the idea that I'm missing something.

Archived