Daario Naharis Recast

Westeros

How many of the other shows on television film in four different countries? The scale and complexity of the Game of Thrones production is unmatched by anything else on TV. They cannot reschedule for every single actor. They certainly will not reschedule for actors in minor roles (as Gregor is).

While I am critical of the show in other aspects, I think the ambition and difficulty of what they're doing on the production side cannot be denied.

There is no difference. HBO is supposed to be about world class talent. They fly in people from around the world for every project. Everyone single show has been international since OZ. Game of Thrones is not unique for HBO. They'll fly in European cast and crew to work on The Wire no problem. They'll spend a quarter of a billion dollars for ten episodes of The Pacific. They'll build an entire Boardwalk and have Martin Scorsese direct a pilot (which was reportedly quite expensive).

They seem to have no problem filming Boardwalk all over the place. Sending Vice and Real Sports reporters all over the country and world. They did Generation Kill in Africa. They know what they are doing when it comes to travel and schedules. And Game of Thrones doesn't have the highest budget of any HBO production. I don't see how GOT can be considered the most elaborate or ambitious show of all time if the budget doesn't match that claim. The budget for GOT is close enough to Boardwalk's that it's not significantly larger (if it really is even larger when you remove advertising).

If HBO was cranking out huge battles and constant CGI dragons and direwolves then I'd agree with you. But when the entire second season has this huge cliffhanger....The Others are coming. And then the battle takes place on a blank screen with some stock sound effects. What an ambitious show.....

But not really.

Actors know that being on this show can launch them into the stratosphere. You really think that this many actors are quitting because they can't fit a few days or weeks of time into their lives? That they just give up trying to be on an insanely popular show because HBO has suddenly forgotten that actors take on multiple projects? It's just more laziness. "Hey let's recast the mountain again lol". "Hey let's have this battle be Tyrion getting hit in the head with a hammer". That's not ambition.

Don't forget. The Wire and The Sopranos took off years between seasons. That's ambition. Taking a break for writing and perfection despite fan expectations of another annual season. You really think Game of Thrones can't take a year off to actually get the casting correct? To actually shoot a battle scene? To actually create something that's worth the wait?

There is no difference. HBO is supposed to be about world class talent.

Star Trek (Pike), Roseanne (Becky), Quantum Leap (Sam's father), Cheers/Frasier (Nanette), The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (Vivian), Babylon 5 (Na'Toth), Deep Space Nine (Tora and Quark's mother), Voyager (the Borg Queen), Party of Five (Justin and Owen), Mad Men (Bobby), Stargate (O'Neill, Michael and Cassandra), Arrested Development (Marta), Prison Break (Terence), Terminator series (Sarah and John Connor), Rome (Octavian), HIMYM (Robin's father),....

Recasting happens ALL the time! It's part of the business. Tons of series have had recasts and are still fondly remembered as "world class talent" of their times.

If HBO was cranking out huge battles and constant CGI dragons and direwolves then I'd agree with you. But when the entire second season has this huge cliffhanger....The Others are coming. And then the battle takes place on a blank screen with some stock sound effects. What an ambitious show.....

So basically your complain is that HBO doesn't spend enough money with Game of Thrones. You'd like them to have "huge battles and constant CGI dragons and direwolfs", and on top of that you'd like to negotiate eight-years binding contracts with the more than fifty members of the main, guest and recurring cast. Do you have an idea of how much expensive would be that? How much money would you have to pay to an actor to accept that, if six years from now he receives an offer to star in a huge Hollywood movie, he will have to refuse in order to film three five-minute scenes in Iceland?

Do you realize that the whole point of HBO is earning money?

Well said, THB. There's not a show on television as ambitious, from a production perspective, as GoT. None. Booking actors to film a short series ala Generation Kill is relatively easier than getting the same fifty+ actors again and again, season after season, in the same configurations,

Boardwalk comes closest to the production complexity, and just about every single scene is shot in New York. That's a lot easier than juggling multiple film crews it's multiple directors with varying and sometimes shared groups of actors, each of whom may have their own scheduling needs.

Yes. HBOs cast is much larger, the people that have been recast have been unexceptional except for Daario and others shows can safely kill off characters if the actor wants to leave, which HBO can't do much of.

So this recasting has been unfortunate but inevitable. HBO has done very well so far

Where does EVERYONE get this clown idea from?

Why does having blue hair mean he must look like a clown, I always imagined him pretty hawtstuff for Dany to go all googly over, so I never understand why people are influenced SO MUCH by that one piece of really fucking weird fan art that DOES make him look like a clown.

Where does EVERYONE get this clown idea from?

Why does having blue hair mean he must look like a clown, I always imagined him pretty hawtstuff for Dany to go all googly over, so I never understand why people are influenced SO MUCH by that one piece of really fucking weird fan art that DOES make him look like a clown.

right? I always pictured Daario as an 80s rockstar tyye. Somewhere between Brett Michaels and Captain Jack Sparrow.

What is "ADR" (and what was wrong with it ?)

I hate recasting, and this one may feel even weirder...People didn't really notice the Mountain or even Tommen who where introduced with a lot of other characters, viewers where focusing on main characters...But Daario was introduced as an important character, and my non-reader friend mentionned him quickly when we were talking about the show...But I wasn't fond of him, so I don't know how to feel...

I'm still way back in the thread, but I did want to say, while it can be jarring, I for one, am in favor of recasting when it is necessary.

I'm still not OVER the fact that The GreatJon was not recast after, I believe, he became unavailable after S1. I would have much rather had the GreatJon present for the RW, and at Robb's side during the war, to show that some were still very loyal to Robb before all the crap hit the fan. I just think we did lose alot losing the GreatJon, the RW alone proves that, and if a similar problem can be remedied by a recast, I'm for it.

Plus, since GOT has long breaks between seasons, it should help with the adjustment, I think.

I did like Ed Skrein in the role, though, I thought he and Dany had great chemistry.

Is there any consensus opinion on why they recast Ed Skrein?

It seems a bit random, and troubling with the recasting of Tommen and yet another recasting of the Mountain....they just introduced Daario.

He's tweeted that he's now in South Africa for seven weeks, just about right to completely wipe any chance of him being in Croatia. No idea what the project is, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a better offer.

I was kind of indifferent to Skrein (and to be honest I think his acting was a little iffy, but serviceable), so I don't particularly care either way that he is not returning, but I really liked the new guy on Nashville so I'm looking forward to his performance. It's a shame they didn't cast him in the first place.

He's tweeted that he's now in South Africa for seven weeks, just about right to completely wipe any chance of him being in Croatia. No idea what the project is, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a better offer.

Thanks to this info and a google search I found this information. http://www.filmcontact.com/africa/south-africa/northmen-viking-saga-shoot-south-africa. So apparently he is in a Viking movie. Doesn't really sound like an upgrade so I still favor fired over leaving the show, but who knows for sure.

Archived