Daario Naharis Recast

Westeros

Thanks to this info and a google search I found this information. http://www.filmconta...ot-south-africa. So apparently he is in a Viking movie. Doesn't really sound like an upgrade so I still favor fired over leaving the show, but who knows for sure.

You're right it doesn't sound like a step up does it, strange he seemed a perfectly good Daario, I wonder what went wrong...?

You're right it doesn't sound like a step up does it, strange he seemed a perfectly good Daario, I wonder what went wrong...?

I don't have that much of an opinion on Skrein one way or another. But I've worked with editors a long time, and I can tell, clear as day, that they had to cut way way way around him. As many have said in this forum and elsewhere, his accent is all over the place, his dialogue has clearly been ADR'd (i.e. re-recorded after production) to hell. I get the feeling he just wasn't cutting it.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they felt they needed to give Emilia Clarke (now up for an Emmy) someone with a more acting chops to work with.

I don't have that much of an opinion on Skrein one way or another. But I've worked with editors a long time, and I can tell, clear as day, that they had to cut way way way around him. As many have said in this forum and elsewhere, his accent is all over the place, his dialogue has clearly been ADR'd (i.e. re-recorded after production) to hell. I get the feeling he just wasn't cutting it.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they felt they needed to give Emilia Clarke (now up for an Emmy) someone with a more acting chops to work with.

Explain please, does he have a lisp or something? I don't understand how they would need to edit how he sounds.

Explain please, does he have a lisp or something? I don't understand how they would need to edit how he sounds.

In the course of a scene, they could be using takes from literally dozens of takes. If his accent shifts from take to take, or he has weird flub, they'll cut the scene and then have the actor go into an ADR (additional dialogue recording) booth and re-record the dialogue while they watch the scene (so they can match the timing). It's very common, but Daario's scenes seemed to be heavier.

I will say, though, it's very unlikely that his departure was just because of an accent.

Sonny from Treme! Really like the new Daario. Didn't care much for Ed. Calling HBO lazy for recasting is ridiculous. I seriously doubt HBO or d&d are doing any unnecessary recasting. Investing $60m+ in a show while filming in four countries with the largest cast in tv history is the opposite of lazy.

In the course of a scene, they could be using takes from literally dozens of takes. If his accent shifts from take to take, or he has weird flub, they'll cut the scene and then have the actor go into an ADR (additional dialogue recording) booth and re-record the dialogue while they watch the scene (so they can match the timing). It's very common, but Daario's scenes seemed to be heavier.

I will say, though, it's very unlikely that his departure was just because of an accent.

Certainly otherwise Aidan Gillan would have been gone after his twelve different accents per scene.

All the recasting is distracting, messes up the continuity and suspension of disbelief. No matter what anyone says, this amount of recasting in a popular serialized drama is not normal. Granted, ASOIAF is unprecedented in it's scope so I just have to deal with it I suppose. I wasn't attatched to the actor and practically despise the character, but it's still pretty annoying to me.

I'm on the fence about the recast but if it wasn't working out with Skrein, I trust that the showrunners made the right decision.

Emilia started filming in Croatia today and on WiC.net they found some pictures of her in costume. I hope we'll get some of Michiel Huisma in costume soon, I'm interested to see if they'll have him wear a wig similar to the one Skrein had.

I can't see how they can go for a whole new look. Changing the actor will catch some people out. Making him look completely different will be confusing just for the sake of it.

You can see how they have made the new Mountain like the original one.

They could fix with a subtle bit of writing:

Jorah: "Khaleesi, I have terrible news to report! Your loyal servant Daario Naharis was slain during a sortie against the Yunkishmen."

Dany: "Oh, no!"

Jorah: "Luckily, his equally loyal and handsome younger brother Maario Naharis has become the new commander of the Second Sons."

Maario: "Hi! I'm Maario, but you can call me Daario for short."

Dany: "Yeah, OK, whatever."

They could fix with a subtle bit of writing:

Jorah: "Khaleesi, I have terrible news to report! Your loyal servant Daario Naharis was slain during a sortie against the Yunkishmen."

Dany: "Oh, no!"

Jorah: "Luckily, his equally loyal and handsome younger brother Maario Naharis has become the new commander of the Second Sons."

Maario: "Hi! I'm Maario, but you can call me Daario for short."

Dany: "Yeah, OK, whatever."

No it has to be "hey its a me, Maario!"

I've seen Daario fan art that I think could be pulled off by a real actor.

Like this one

http://autumn-sacura.deviantart.com/art/Daario-Naharis-372785083

This is pretty cool, kind of a Jack Sparrow feel to him here. And we all know how well people love that character.

Either way, it's certainly better than this http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/thumb/1/1f/Daario_Naharis.jpg/250px-Daario_Naharis.jpg&imgrefurl=http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Daario_Naharis&h=385&w=250&sz=51&tbnid=KmWSBDMQzc9HvM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=58&zoom=1&usg=__9rwRfHK8GgDWmISr-bMDvsos4pQ=&docid=JZ-k03RRTdG5zM&sa=X&ei=D_RGUtjpDoirtAaPgoGwBA&ved=0CF0Q9QEwBw

I don't think that second one is even possible for a human being. How much oil would it take to get a real man's beard to point like that? Add that to hair dye costs and styling costs, and each Daario scene will cost as much as the Battle of the Blackwater. The first depiction is just as good and much more doable.

I personally don't mind the recast at all. For whatever reason I just didn't like Ed Skrein; maybe it was the weird teeth. This new guy has much more of the Daario look going on, and though I haven't yet had a chance to get into Treme it seems like people really dig him as an actor.

The switch won't be that confusing. After he's referred to as Daario a few times (which I'm sure will be done over-emphatically at first) viewers will catch on. Those who have been able to keep up with the ever-expanding roster of characters up until this point aren't going to be baffled by a recast.

^hahaha. I'm so glad there's finally a thread dedicated to bashing that portrait.

Archived