Daario Naharis Recast

Westeros

For me, the challenge is always to absorb the changes in the story and cast (e.g. Talisa of Volantis in place of Jeyne Westerling). Recasting a relatively minor character in the TV show will be barely noticeable.

I'm hoping for a Peter Jackson directed movie version some day.

ETa

Quote from PatrickStormborn: "They reallllly need to invest some money in a new costume for Emilia."

Heck yeah. And a few new dresses for Sansa wouldn't hurt - especially something that flatters Sophie Turner's coloring instead of the opposite.

I've seen Daario fan art that I think could be pulled off by a real actor.

Like this one

http://autumn-sacura.deviantart.com/art/Daario-Naharis-372785083

Yeah that wouldve worked.The tri-beard looks do-able and it would look good on a goodlooking man.They couldve kept that style without the blue hair.Maybe just add streaks of blue , just that.

But anyway, they're not doing any of that so ...

You know, they could've at least given him the same wig as ex-Daario. There needs to be some type of familiar visual cue, IMO. I get that, in the grand scheme, it's a minor problem, but I don't know. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Better yet, use the re-cast as an opportunity to give people their blue-haired and fork-bearded Daario. He looks absolutely unremarkable in those pics...like one of the common folk. Ed's wig last season at least hinted at the flamboyance of Daario...in that he looked like he spent as much time on his hair than Dany did.

This guy playing Daario just doesn't look a badass like Ed did

I don't know...this is kind of how I pictured Daario being in the show to begin with. No, I didn't think HBO would have a character with blue hair.

ETa

Quote from PatrickStormborn: "They reallllly need to invest some money in a new costume for Emilia."

Looking at it closely it does look ever so slightly altered, but not by much.

As far as I know she has never worn her Dothraki attire since since season 2, I guess she keeps it stored somewhere.

Except for one departure in season 2, she has worn some kind of 'elegant' modified Dothraki sort-of looking costume since the end of season 2 (I can't really think of a word for it!)...

Sometimes in at the end of season 3 she seemed to be wearing something less-Dothraki (in the Tent scenes) but always reverts.

I guess these designs are Dany's on design , I mean her only 'court' seems to be military advisers , tho there is Missandei as her one and only one hand maiden (tho I did catch a Dothraki woman 'helper' end of last season) she does not have almost any women at 'court' , such as it is.

(Another of my gritches with show runners, eliminating all the Dothraki hand maids she had, tho... a mysterious Blood Rider shows up in the back ground now and then.)

In the books George had her wearing various sorts of Essos women-wear , but he does not go into it in detail.

I don't really mind, since he outfit does allow for easy horse riding.

WHICH I WISH THEY WOULD DO MORE OF!

(In fact there is are scenes, season 3, unmistakably of Emilia riding her 'new Sliver' like an experienced rider, I think she has gotten better, I have no info on it but it also looks as if Nathalie Emmanuel knows how to ride.)

(I thought it was funny that Carice van Houten said she was afraid of horse, but she's a trooper when it comes to it.)

He looks somewhat like Hugh Jackman. Not sure I like it, he looks too much a modern-day playboy, though of course that could very well not be his final look, given it's just a set picture.

Is the puffy guy in a green tokar supposed to be Hizdahr? He looks much too young to be Reznak or the Shavepate, and too soft for Oznak.

And a few new dresses for Sansa wouldn't hurt - especially something that flatters Sophie Turner's coloring instead of the opposite.

Seriously, those colors, it's like a mud palette. And the dresses don't flatter a woman's shape, either. Not into the costumes at all, sadly.

Certainly otherwise Aidan Gillan would have been gone after his twelve different accents per scene.

That's a much different situation, as Aiden has proven himself to be a brilliant performer in tons of other television dramas (one of them being previous HBO show, no less) and there'd obviously be more to lose, also considering the fact that he's a pretty important character in the series, and one that, if he were to be recast, people would notice. Unlike, say, a new character who appeared in all of about 6 minutes over the course of three episodes that most people haven't watched since they premiered.

I watch the show with people who couldn't even really remember who Barristan was when he came back. It's not like anyone other than people on this forum, or any other similar community, is paying attention to the casting news.

So, I don't think it's a big deal.

Plus, it seems like, to me at least, that they're going for intentionally hammy in most Littlefinger scenes, or at the very least they're okay with Aiden Gillan hamming it up and switching accents from Irish to English to whatever and back again.

Archived