Daario Naharis Recast

Westeros

I think we none of the showmakers are eager to have re-casts -we don't know the exact reasons -it may be sheduling conflicts, contractual disagreements, conflicts on the set, bad working ethics or family problems - but I don't believe that any of recast happened just becaus B&W just woke up one day and decided to replace someone -

Look at the case with Rakharo - the character was obviously intended at least for 2 Seasons. But the actor got cast in a small role in a blockbaster movie (World War Z) - he was available for filming Season 2 of GOT only for short time - B and W decided not to tailor their shooting schedule to his availability and killed off his character right in the beginning of the season. They had to create new character - Kovarro to fulfil the functions that were obviously intended for Rakharo during the Season 2. 1st Gregor actor had similar story - only in his case it was impossible to kill off the character - so they had to re-cast him. I suspect same can be the case of Daario.

but this is just something that inevitably happens in a large production like this and let's keep fingers crossed that they won't need to replace someone more prominent than Gregor or Daario.

Like someone else said long ago and I heartily agreed, HBO Daario Naharis looked like the singer of a folk metal band.

That being said, he kind of grew on me. And I'm not a big fan of recasts. Hopefully they do a good job of it.

The original was a bit too smarmy for Daario.

Daario is pretty over-the-top, but that's what I like about him. I thought the original actor had that down without overdoing it. Don't do it at all, he's not Daario. Do it too much, you can't take him seriously. Tricky to get that right, but he did.

Look at the case with Rakharo - the character was obviously intended at least for 2 Seasons. But the actor got cast in a small role in a blockbaster movie (World War Z) - he was available for filming Season 2 of GOT only for short time - B and W decided not to tailor their shooting schedule to his availability and killed off his character right in the beginning of the season. They had to create new character - Kovarro to fulfil the functions that were obviously intended for Rakharo during the Season 2. 1st Gregor actor had similar story - only in his case it was impossible to kill off the character - so they had to re-cast him. I suspect same can be the case of Daario.

I understood about Rakharo.

But what happened to Kovarro(Steven Cole)? season 2 bloodrider. There are always Dany's rag tag 'hoard' of Dothraki about ... but unlike the books, both her Dothraki handmaidens and Blood Rides are gone now... for good?

They didn't play huge on stage role as the story progressed, but they did provide a running continuity of Dany's connection to the old khalasar , don't have to be speaking roles.

(Mr. Dothraki 'beard' vanished too, but were did he come from in the first place!)

Well, here's a thought, perhaps his role in the next two books was expanded and they went with a more experienced actor. Lots more Daario to come! The new actor has also done nudity, so lots more of that, too.

Don't I remember , in the books, someone can correct me on this, Dany fell (short of) for Daario because he reminded her of

Khal Drogo, now Michiel Huisman does not have exactly the same physical features of Jason Momoa but with long hair , beard, dusky features there is some of that there.

We talked enough about GOT doing the same as Deadwood , that is cast the same actor as a different character in seasons 1 and 2... but using Jason again would really have meant blue hair and gold teeth.

Ah well that would probably not have worked.

Daario doesn't look like Khal Drogo. Drogo is Drogo, Daario is Daario. She fell for Drogo because he's Drogo. She fell for Daario because he's Daario.

She did compare Daario and Jorah, because she dreamed of someone more comely when she rejected his advances, and here that man was, Daario... Fair, lithe, blue eyes... She thinks he's beautiful.

Daario was fair where Jorah was swarthy; lithe where the knight was brawny; graced with flowing locks where the other was balding, yet smooth-skinned where Jorah was hairy...

His hands were large and strong, and there was something in his hard blue eyes and great curving nose that suggested the fierceness of some splendid bird of prey...

Dany found herself stealing looks at the Tyroshi when her captains came to council, and sometimes at night she remembered how his gold tooth glittered when he smiled. That and his eyes. His bright blue eyes...

Dany loved the way his gold tooth gleamed when he grinned. She loved the fine hairs on his chest. She loved the strength in his arms, the sound of his laughter... "You are beautiful," she blurted as she watched him don his riding boots and lace them up...

She compared Daario and Drogo in the sense that there was love:

Khal Drogo had been her sun-and-stars, but he had been dead so long that Daenerys had almost forgotten how it felt to love and be loved. Daario had helped her to remember. I was dead and he brought me back to life. I was asleep and he woke me. My brave captain.

And:

No one had ever kissed her like Daario Naharis.

hmmmm hadnt heard about this - not a fan of re-cast either... especially this "late" in the seasons... I guess time will tell what we think.

It's old old news.

I don't recall anyone from the show giving us the skinny on what really happened.*

Still a bit a mystery too, tho many around here have ferreted out reasonable rational.

*(Well even with season 2 long long gone the Talisa Maegyr - Jeyne Westerling switch has never been explained , except for what seems a reasonable plot narrative gouge... which was always ...'Meeeeh' with me. Then we find out George has plans for Westerling in the future on the page.)

It's old old news.

I don't recall anyone from the show giving us the skinny on what really happened.*

Still a bit a mystery too, tho many around here have ferreted out reasonable rational.

*(Well even with season 2 long long gone the Talisa Maegyr - Jeyne Westerling switch has never been explained , except for what seems a reasonable plot narrative gouge... which was always ...'Meeeeh' with me. Then we find out George has plans for Westerling in the future on the page.)

I think this was explained by Oona Chaplin in an interview in which she said that David Benioff has a healthy loving relationship with his wife and wanted some of that for the characters in his tv show. I believe Ran also said that it was after reading ADwD the writers really liked Volantis and wanted to draw on it more for the story of the show.

I think this was explained by Oona Chaplin in an interview in which she said that David Benioff has a healthy loving relationship with his wife and wanted some of that for the characters in his tv show. I believe Ran also said that it was after reading ADwD the writers really liked Volantis and wanted to draw on it more for the story of the show.

Well I guess I should have not said Meeeh... cause it worked out ok, tho it does introduce the Westerling discontinuity ... which I don't know will be important or not.

Volantis... they have time to go to Volantis in future seasons? That seems kind of puzzling.

Well I guess I should have not said Meeeh... cause it worked out ok, tho it does introduce the Westerling discontinuity ... which I don't know will be important or not.

Volantis... they have time to go to Volantis in future seasons? That seems kind of puzzling.

This is my concern as well.

Nice little throw away line about Rolf spicer in ASOS and Tommen raising him to lord.

And look, Dhario on a recent review wasn't THAT bad-as in there's worse scenes from supposed better actors in season 3.

I still stand by my earlier comments about some of his stuff being done is post though.

I'm not sure what this is all about...but it's bound to happen on a show of this size, it just seems kind of cursed in this regard as there's so many characters...

However on a show of this size, they should be able to manage their talent better and keep them on board, IMO.

I understood about Rakharo.

But what happened to Kovarro(Steven Cole)? season 2 bloodrider. There are always Dany's rag tag 'hoard' of Dothraki about ... but unlike the books, both her Dothraki handmaidens and Blood Rides are gone now... for good?

They didn't play huge on stage role as the story progressed, but they did provide a running continuity of Dany's connection to the old khalasar , don't have to be speaking roles.

(Mr. Dothraki 'beard' vanished too, but were did he come from in the first place!)

I think this has more to do with logistics than anything else. Sure, Kovarro & Irri act as a reminder of Dany's 'humble beginnings', but what else do they do? They eat up budget. There was a huge cast increase between seasons two and three (to say nothing of the increase between the first and second), and even though a lot of characters have - and will continue to - meet their ends, there are even more characters to come that will be vying for both screen time and budget. So even if their salaries were a minor note in the grand scheme of things, that's still money that is able to be put to better use elsewhere. It's not as if the Dothraki presence around Dany is completely non-existent (even though it might as well be), but a number of faceless background Dothraki extras certainly hurt the budget less than minor supporting actors (at least, enough to make a difference, seemingly). Ultimately, it's a matter of economics. The books can - for reasons of logistics - follow a huge number of characters, both major and minor. A 'theatrical' presentation has to work within the confines of a budget, in terms of both time and money, so it simply doesn't have that luxury.

Archived