Daario Naharis Recast

Westeros

Oh he looked of mixed ethnicity on the character poster, which is why I thought he'd make a good Oberyn but in costume and all he looks like like every other pale-ass westerosi and their dad.
The character design on this show is so fucking boring.

I don't get how people think the show is racist. In the actual books the only people that are black are those that have come from the Summer Isles and beyond, and I think a whole of two named characters in the entire book series are black. I understand that some people think that the show should create new black characters, and I'm all for diversity, but in the end it's up to the people working on the show. And may I remind you, Xaro Xoan Daxos and Salladhor Saan were both white in the books yet were made black for the series.
I may have a different perspective on it than others though, because where I live I rarely see more than one black person a week.

And @bloody_mummer don't tell me you weren't looking for that kind of detail, because if you weren't we wouldn't be talking about this now.

I wasn't "looking for it." I am not invested in and watching the show because I am looking to be offended. But the image jumped out at me. I am not saying there has to be a racial equalization among cast members. All i am saying was that scene, as shot, conveyed some serious racist overtones about the superiority of white westerners over the "mob" of unwashed brown people.

I wasn't "looking for it." I am not invested in and watching the show because I am looking to be offended. But the image jumped out at me. I am not saying there has to be a racial equalization among cast members. All i am saying was that scene, as shot, conveyed some serious racist overtones about the superiority of white westerners over the "mob" of unwashed brown people.

Because the main characters and focal point of the scene happen to be standing higher up than the extras? Even if this point was the slightest bit valid, clearly it didn't jump out enough for you to see Missandei who is actually on a higher platform than any of the others aside from Dany.

When there is actual real racism going on the world, getting pseudo-offended over this kind of b.s is bordering on insulting.

I don't get how people think the show is racist. In the actual books the only people that are black are those that have come from the Summer Isles and beyond, and I think a whole of two named characters in the entire book series are black. I understand that some people think that the show should create new black characters, and I'm all for diversity, but in the end it's up to the people working on the show. And may I remind you, Xaro Xoan Daxos and Salladhor Saan were both white in the books yet were made black for the series.

I may have a different perspective on it than others though, because where I live I rarely see more than one black person a week.

:agree:

Of all the complaints levelled at D&D, valid or otherwise, this particular one is the most unfounded and unreasonable.

Not trying to put any "lens" over it. Fact: Dany, mormont, and selmy are the only three white folks from the west and they are standing on an elevated platform come to save the poor slaves, smug faces and all. It is what it is. Whether the directors intended the scene to be racist really is besides the point. What matters is the image it conveys.

...this argument again. So stupid. Martin himself has even commented on the fact that they shot the scene with the people who offered to be extras for the shooting period. Long days, low pay, and the high number of people required for the scene dictated that they use only locals. They weren't going to fly people in to be extras for a scene that was already expensive enough.

As a mixed individual, I saw absolutely nothing racist about this sequence. In fact, if anything, I think the fact that so many 'white' knights wanted to call it out for being racist on behalf of people of color to be much more racist than the scene itself.

Because the main characters and focal point of the scene happen to be standing higher up than the extras? Even if this point was the slightest bit valid, clearly it didn't jump out enough for you to see Missandei who is actually on a higher platform than any of the others aside from Dany.

When there is actual real racism going on the world, getting pseudo-offended over this kind of b.s is bordering on insulting.

Here here

All i am saying was that scene, as shot, conveyed some serious racist overtones about the superiority of white westerners over the "mob" of unwashed brown people.

Any cat may look at a fire and see red mice at play ...

+1

As a mixed individual, I saw absolutely nothing racist about this sequence. In fact, if anything, I think the fact that so many 'white' knights wanted to call it out for being racist on behalf of people of color to be much more racist than the scene itself.

+1 ... hey wait, you must be a racist yourself or you would be ALL coloured!!! Lol

I don't get how people think the show is racist. In the actual books the only people that are black are those that have come from the Summer Isles and beyond, and I think a whole of two named characters in the entire book series are black.

Yeah, but why should be think about ASOIAF world with our Earth trichonomy.

Although First Men and Andals are clearly similar to Caucasian, and Summer Islanders are definitely black, most of Essos races seems to be... well unique in some way. Qarthians, Ghiscari, Valyrians they are on their own.

I would say it;s racist toward Ghiscari or Dothraki to show them as some stereotypical Middle East guys rather than show them in full glory of red-and-black hair and all those hair bells and stuff. Give us some proper copper skin!

Give Tyroshi blue hair! Who says it would look ridiculous? That's nonsense!

I heard the previous actor was unavailable for this season...can't be helped; Now lets move on. It's always funny to me that people moan about casting choices they don't like and then when the character gets recast they complain some more. about the fact that the previous version they didn't like got recast. Like, go figure.

I heard the previous actor was unavailable for this season...can't be helped; Now lets move on. It's always funny to me that people moan about casting choices they don't like and then when the character gets recast they complain some more. about the fact that the previous version they didn't like got recast. Like, go figure.

Here, I'll help you with this one: they're not the same people.

There, that wasn't too hard, was it?

The previous actor, Ed Skrein, got a lead for Transporter franchize. That's probably the reason Ed chose to leave the show, rather than getting fired. My understanding is Ed signed up for multi-series of Transporter movies. Probably pays hell of lot more money than what he was getting in GOT.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2014/02/game-of-thrones-ed-skrein-to-replace-jason-statham-in-transporter-reboot.html

Archived