Daario Naharis Recast

Westeros

The previous actor, Ed Skrein, got a lead for Transporter franchize. That's probably the reason Ed chose to leave the show, rather than getting fired. My understanding is Ed signed up for multi-series of Transporter movies. Probably pays hell of lot more money than what he was getting in GOT.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2014/02/game-of-thrones-ed-skrein-to-replace-jason-statham-in-transporter-reboot.html

That agreement came many months after he was booted from GoT. One has little to do with the other (aside from the fact that he was looking for work and has now found it).

I guarantee you that he was booted because he was unprofessional in one way or another and we will never know (unless Skrein wants to burn bridges and talk about it) because producers don't kiss and tell about these kind of decisions.

Better to accept the fact that if they could have kept him around, they would have as it's incredibly disrupting to re-cast a semi-regular character on a show like this. Just like with the other actors who disappeared from the show before they should have, it's not the show, it's them who were the problem.

That agreement came many months after he was booted from GoT. One has little to do with the other (aside from the fact that he was looking for work and has now found it).

I guarantee you that he was booted because he was unprofessional in one way or another and we will never know (unless Skrein wants to burn bridges and talk about it) because producers don't kiss and tell about these kind of decisions.

Better to accept the fact that if they could have kept him around, they would have as it's incredibly disrupting to re-cast a semi-regular character on a show like this. Just like with the other actors who disappeared from the show before they should have, it's not the show, it's them who were the problem.

If Ed was unprofessional, I would have doubted the producers would have hired him for Transporter franchize. Remember he wasn't just signed to one movie, but for a trilogy of Transporter films. I have hard time imagining any producers giving such pivotal role to a little know actor with history of unprofessional-ism and unreliability. It would literally cost them millions of dollars.

I'm more inclined to believe Ed and GOT producers had disagreement about salary and work schedule. Like Conan Stevens before him, Ed sought greener pasture elsewhere. And it worked out for him. Money wise he would be making significantly more money being a lead in movies than in a supporting role in a TV show.

Agreed, the director of episodes 7 and 8 said very positive things about him. She was quite enthusiastic.

Doubtful whatever happened took place during filming, he got canned 6-8 months after they had wrapped.

I hate speculating without the information but if I had to guess, they handed out the shooting schedule for S4, he came back and told them it didn't work for him and wasn't being flexible at all so they had no choice but to re-cast. And I would imagine that for them to come to that significant a decision, would mean he was being especially unprofessional about it.

I don't think it's a coincidence that after S4 was completed filming they bumped up Michael Huisman to regular cast member status for S5. You get a lot more money but you also don't get to pick and choose when it is you can work for the show.

As far as the change, there is some early feedback from Sepinwell, who says that 1) the transition wasn't handled gracefully, and 2) the new Daario is a better and more charming actor: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/firewall-iceberg-show-episode-8-game-of-thrones-the-100-doll-em-more.

Also: http://winteriscoming.net/2014/03/michiel-huisman-says-confusion-over-a-new-daario-naharis-in-season-4-is-not-a-concern/

I still think they should have just done the soap opera thing and have a voiceover come out of nowhere the first time we see him: "The part of Daario Naharis will now be played by Michael Huisman". They could have Charles Dance be the narrator because he makes everything sound awesome.

Failing that, they should have him walk into a tent and everyone there yell out "DAARIO!!!" Cheers-style.

I still think they should have just done the soap opera thing and have a voiceover come out of nowhere the first time we see him: "The part of Daario Naharis will now be played by Michael Huisman". They could have Charles Dance be the narrator because he makes everything sound awesome.

That frequently happens in the theatre as well: Tonight, the part of hamlet is being played by [lucky understudy # 1]

Some people are already complaining about that scene, because "it doesn't further the plot" or "isn't funny". Amazing.

Anyway, I like what I've seen of Huisman so far! It's never nice having to deal with recasting, but I already feel like this could turn out for the better.

If it's not funny, it's not funny. Not really sure why someone can't criticize an attempt at humor if it misses the mark for them.

Every scene doesn't need to further the plot, though. Especially in the first episode when you're re-introducing people. And, more notably, re-introducing a character you just recast. The only thing I'm concerned about on that front is how well they handle sort of filling viewers in that this is the same character as from last year, just a different actor.

Archived