Daario Naharis Recast

Westeros

Sigh. Recasting is a pain in the buns. There just isn't a way of transitioning smoothly from one actor to another without making it awkward and clumsy. On the plus side, something about Ed's portrayal of Daario never felt quite right for me, so maybe recasting the part is for the best.

The first one looked like a reject from a cock-rock band circa 1988. But acting wise, he seemed okay to me (now that I'm finally caught up on the show as well as the books I finally got round to watching it.) The new guy at least looks as if he might be a vast improvement.

Don't like the new Dario. He looks more or less exactly like a Westerosi.

I'm getting a little tired of all these white people playing so called eastern roles. Gone are the days of Xaro and Khal Drogo, apparently the only roles they trust with non white actors are small and limited ones like Grey worm, Missandei, and the obvious savage/slave stereotypes.

I'm getting a little tired of all these white people playing so called eastern roles. Gone are the days of Xaro and Khal Drogo, apparently the only roles they trust with non white actors are small and limited ones like Grey worm, Missandei, and the obvious savage/slave stereotypes.

Tyroshi aren't really that Eastern tbh, and this guy is Dutch, so it isn't the skin colour I have a problem with, I do think he should have more of an exotic look in how he is dressed though.

How about the roles of Oberyn Martell and Ellaria Sand?

Now that we've seen him up close, I don't like this re-cast at all. I'm sure in all likelihood he's a better actor, but he looks too different.

Although I gotta say, the re-casting of Tommen is miles worse. Not that they should have necessarily kept the same kid as before, but to use an actor that has already been on the show and is at least five years older than the original kid is going to look ridiculous. Bearing in mind he's supposed to be 10 (at most).

Now that we've seen him up close, I don't like this re-cast at all. I'm sure in all likelihood he's a better actor, but he looks too different.

Although I gotta say, the re-casting of Tommen is miles worse. Not that they should have necessarily kept the same kid as before, but to use an actor that has already been on the show and is at least five years older than the original kid is going to look ridiculous. Bearing in mind he's supposed to be 10 (at most).

Not at all. Tommen, to most people that watch the show, is just Cersei's little blonde kid. I doubt anyone will even notice, much less remember that the actor played another extremely minor part in the show.

Tyroshi aren't really that Eastern tbh, and this guy is Dutch, so it isn't the skin colour I have a problem with, I do think he should have more of an exotic look in how he is dressed though.

Well, the problem is, that he doesn't look either eastern or exotic, at all. Outside of those weird shoulder pad things, he looks exactly like a generic Westerosi. There's no difference between him and say, Jorah. Atleast the old Dario had long hair.

And who is cast as Hizdahr , future King of Meereen? Guess what, another white guy.

Don't even get me started on Oberyn....

And what concernes me is that show!Dario is going to be much more important than book!Dario. Last season, Dario planned and executed the capture of Yunkai ( an event that happens VERY differently in the books ), not to mention he showed off his sneak assassin skills by managing to get into Dany's tent. This season, we know that he's going to champion Dany vs the Meereen dude. I guess they are trying to make Dany's new boyfriend more likeable or some convoluted logic of that sort. The character basically shares nothing of the personality of the book character, and is basically a younger, improved version of Jorah.

It's official this week as photos were provided of Michael Huisman as Daario.

I like him a lot in Treme and in Nashville -- which is where a musician that didn't find so much fame in fortune in New Orleans would naturally migrate in the real music world, so I got a large kick from that. I hope this doesn't mean his Nashville character is finished, coz Liam's one rockin' producer-character.

Well, to be honest, he doesn't actually fit the description "perfectly". That said, in my mind he's a reasonable enough interpretation.

Could have done without the facial hair, and longer hair -- longer than is the norm as seen among the other male characters -- would have been nice. It's a minor detail, and yet at the same time, because it's minor, it's weird that they opt to go a different way with it. It's not like everyone else on the show is clean shaven and so his facial hair is supposed to indicate a contrasting culture.

Well, the problem is, that he doesn't look either eastern or exotic, at all. Outside of those weird shoulder pad things, he looks exactly like a generic Westerosi. There's no difference between him and say, Jorah. Atleast the old Dario had long hair.

And who is cast as Hizdahr , future King of Meereen? Guess what, another white guy.

Don't even get me started on Oberyn....

And what concernes me is that show!Dario is going to be much more important than book!Dario. Last season, Dario planned and executed the capture of Yunkai ( an event that happens VERY differently in the books ), not to mention he showed off his sneak assassin skills by managing to get into Dany's tent. This season, we know that he's going to champion Dany vs the Meereen dude. I guess they are trying to make Dany's new boyfriend more likeable or some convoluted logic of that sort. The character basically shares nothing of the personality of the book character, and is basically a younger, improved version of Jorah.

I don't have a problem with Oberyn, I think he is great! The Dornish are not as tanned as most fans seem to have assumed(possibly because we associate Dorne with Moroccan, Southern Spanish culture).

Only problem I have with Oberyn is that he should have long hair, wigs aren't that complicated to incorporate into a show, they did it for Ned, and Robert Baratheon, why not Oberyn? It's not like he is around for long in the show.

Well, that is true, of course, that book Oberyn has longer hair. But I was more talking about ethnicity, which appears to be something many people have assumed wrongly. I remember reading GRRM had meant for the Dornish to be Spanish looking, yet most people who have a problem with Pascal seem to have had a completely different skin colour in mind.

Archived