Daario Naharis Recast

Westeros

• 2 weeks later...

My problem with the new guy is that he looks like a generic sellsword. I'm not saying he needs the blue hair but at least the previous Daario stood out appearance wise from the common sellsword.

They both look like pretty generic sellsword/rogue type characters to me in their brown attire.

I don't get why the producers have to make everything so homogeneous. There's enough brown and grey in Westeros without Essos being exactly the same. Are they so worried that audiences won't be able to accept a character with bright hair and clothing? The whole point of GRRM's description of the Tyroshi is to reflect their culture and fashion, so why should that have to conform to what the audience finds fashionable and attractive?

The new actor has a more badass attitude, but i hate when they recast actors! But the difference between Michiel Huisman and Ed Skrein is huge, they don't even try to make Huisman more like Daario Naharis in S3. The new Daario has short hair, and more beard, his totally new, bluhh!

You mean 'blue'.

New Daario looks more how I imagined Jorah to look like from the books.

You imagined Jorah as handsome? He is not supposed to be.

True, that. He's got a bear look to him.

No, he doesn't. A wolf look, perhaps. A bear look is a large, hairy dude. This would be a bear look.

As I've said before, Huisman is a fantastic actor (watch Treme, and you'll be amazed at the progression his character makes and how much the actor sells it), so this is a definite upgrade. I didn't necessarily dislike Skrein, but I'm not sad to see him go.

He looked like the stereotypical douche bag who cat calls at random women then curses them out for rejecting him.

Agreed. But his voice over was very annoying. Curious to see how they will do the transition. Or, will it just be like the Mountain? The two actors look sufficently different that the audience is going to notice.

Agreed. But his voice over was very annoying. Curious to see how they will do the transition. Or, will it just be like the Mountain? The two actors look sufficently different that the audience is going to notice.

There was a show once, I can't remember the name right now though, in which the daughter of the titular character got replaced after one season. This character was supposed to have a relatively big role in each episode, so when the new actress (who looked very different from the original actress) came into frame in the first episode of the second season, they announced that she was the same character by having the titular character say "Hey [name]! You know, there's something different about you today, but I can't put my finger on what it is."

Perhaps they'll do something like that :p

There was a show once, I can't remember the name right now though, in which the daughter of the titular character got replaced after one season. This character was supposed to have a relatively big role in each episode, so when the new actress (who looked very different from the original actress) came into frame in the first episode of the second season, they announced that she was the same character by having the titular character say "Hey [name]! You know, there's something different about you today, but I can't put my finger on what it is."

Perhaps they'll do something like that :P

I will puke if it is "Oh Daario, I really like the short hair and the beard."

This is not only wrong, but it also misses the point.

You see, there are three kinds of Dornishmen. Salty ( live near sea ), Sandy ( live in desert ), Stony ( live in mountains ). The salty Dornish have the most Rhoynar blood, while stoney have the least. It's all described in Tyrion's pov in ASOS. He then goes on to observe that Oberyn is a salty Dornishman. I think that is evidence enough to say that Oberyn is fairly tanned/brown and the guy they cast doesn't fit that.

The point about the Rhoynar ethnicity is important. It explains why some Dornish are brown skinned/dark ( eg. Quentyn's pov chapters ), and the Rhoynar invasion provides the backdrop for Dornish history under Martell rule. There is also even more stuff if you dig deep, like Orphans of the Greenblood and their emotional connection to the river which comes from Rhoynar history.

The Rhoynar thing is completely excised from the show. The king on the iron throne has the title as 'King of the Andals and First Men', rather than in the books 'King of the Andals, Rhoynar and First Men', although the Rhoynar are arguably as important to Dorne as the First Men are to the North. Cause having them would mean showing brown people in westeros, which seems to be a huge no-no in the small, racist minds of D&D.

On the other hand there seems to be no trouble in showing white people in Essos, without any explanation of what they are doing there, such as the Spice King of Quarth, etc.. Of course in the books you have the 'blood of old valyria' and all that, but that's a book explanation, not a show one. And even then, Kraznys ( last season ), and Hizdahr ( this season ) are Ghiscari, NOT valyrians. but I guess D&D are incapable of understanding such basic things. Their mindset seems to be, have white people playing all the important roles -even in Essos- and only cast non-white folks as 3rd tier unimportant characters such as Grey Worm/Missandei/extras that conform to slave/servant/savage stereotypes. If you think this is exaggeration, go watch 'Mhysa' again.

They had three potentially good roles for non-white folks this season and they missed all of them. And yes, Daario is VERY important on the show. He isn't only not the character from the book, but he is also merged with Brown ben plumm ( who is brown, and doesn't exist in the show ) and Strong Belwas ( a Meereneese ) And of course, he is a white guy that looks exactly like a Westerosi!. It seems like, as D&D get their hands on more and more of the production aspects of the show, anomalies like casting Xaro as a black guy won't happen again. If they have an important Dothraki character , or cast Alleras , Moquorro, etc, they will probably have a white guy doing those roles as well, cause its natural for them.

Edit: Even apart from the skin color thing I don't like the guy they cast for Oberyn. He looks too much like Littlefinger, and not at all like the Red Viper.

This is not cool, you cannot know d and d are racist and saying so out if hand is just plain wrong.

You may not like their casting choices but to say they are based on race is a leap in logic that is both floored and I feel unjustified.

Their mindset seems to be, have white people playing all the important roles -even in Essos- and only cast non-white folks as 3rd tier unimportant characters such as Grey Worm/Missandei/extras that conform to slave/servant/savage stereotypes. If you think this is exaggeration, go watch 'Mhysa' again.

Indeed. 3 white folk standing on a rock come to save the savage brownies

Indeed. 3 white folk standing on a rock come to save the savage brownies

We all have personal, national, historical perspectives we bring with us into a discussion on any number of topics. They help make us what we are; we are informed by them and we in turn give them further life by passing them on, to a lesser or greater extent, to people around us. On the other hand, it's worth noting that such a perspective, for all the power it can hold over a person, is still ultimately filtered through subjective lens of every single individual.

While you no doubt have a right to find that scene in bad taste and even racist, it'd be wise to keep in mind that the showrunners didn't necessarily intend for it to be interpreted that way.

It's a bad episode I think regardless of the lens you're trying to put over it.

That lat set piece was so ridiculous, and I think you're interpretation of "white people" and mine is different.

We all have personal, national, historical perspectives we bring with us into a discussion on any number of topics. They help make us what we are; we are informed by them and we in turn give them further life by passing them on, to a lesser or greater extent, to people around us. On the other hand, it's worth noting that such a perspective, for all the power it can hold over a person, is still ultimately filtered through subjective lens of every single individual.

While you no doubt have a right to find that scene in bad taste and even racist, it'd be wise to keep in mind that the showrunners didn't necessarily intend for it to be interpreted that way.

Not trying to put any "lens" over it. Fact: Dany, mormont, and selmy are the only three white folks from the west and they are standing on an elevated platform come to save the poor slaves, smug faces and all. It is what it is. Whether the directors intended the scene to be racist really is besides the point. What matters is the image it conveys.

Not trying to put any "lens" over it. Fact: Dany, mormont, and selmy are the only three white folks from the west and they are standing on an elevated platform come to save the poor slaves, smug faces and all. It is what it is. Whether the directors intended the scene to be racist really is besides the point. What matters is the image it conveys.

Again, perspective, which was the entire point of my previous post. Yours is no less valid than mine, but I come from a country that doesn't have a history or racial/ethnic make-up that would make me view that image the same way you do. Not a criticism, as it is a valid topic, but a simple observation.

Again, perspective, which was the entire point of my previous post. Yours is no less valid than mine, but I come from a country that doesn't have a history or racial/ethnic make-up that would make me view that image the same way you do. Not a criticism, as it is a valid topic, but a simple observation.

Except he says in the end, "What matters is the image it conveys." It should however have been written "the image it conveys to him". I didn't think it was racist because I wasn't bloody thinking about that. This is Game of Thrones, I seriously don't see why people are looking for such things in a tv show like this one. And @bloody_mummer don't tell me you weren't looking for that kind of detail, because if you weren't we wouldn't be talking about this now.

Archived