[TWoW Spoilers] Worldcon reading: second Tyrion chapter

Joseph Nobles

Do I get it right - the Tattered Prince and the Windblown have defected to Daenerys even before Brown Ben Plumm and Jorah made their decision?

That's what it looks like. It looks like Jorah and Tyrion make up Brown Ben's mind there at the end.

As far as how far GRRM is with WoW? No idea. I'd say further than 50%, but he confessed that he was guilty only of underestimating the time it would take to finish things. And he seems to be working on the last book at the same time, so that's good news. Once WoW is out, I wouldn't expect so long a delay for the last one.

That's what it looks like. It looks like Jorah and Tyrion make up Brown Ben's mind there at the end.

As far as how far GRRM is with WoW? No idea. I'd say further than 50%, but he confessed that he was guilty only of underestimating the time it would take to finish things. And he seems to be working on the last book at the same time, so that's good news. Once WoW is out, I wouldn't expect so long a delay for the last one.

Well he was done 200 pages furnished and 200 more like 6 months ago so i would say he is at 700 unfurnished now... And that is almost half... Anyway I sense a 2015 early release...

Do I get it right - the Tattered Prince and the Windblown have defected to Daenerys even before Brown Ben Plumm and Jorah made their decision?

Barristan sent Drink and Arch to the Windblown to offer the tattered prince Pentos in return for freeing the hostages, IIRC. The tattered prince must have taken the offer.

Well, we do know that the Second Sons are not that eager to get near the Ironborn in the coming battle. So my guess is they are in no immediate danger to get attacked by Victarion. And Barristan's troops should show the dragon banner, so they won't be attacked, either. The Windblown may face more danger, but the best way to show you are on Daenerys' side is to attack the Yunkishmen and their allies. And that's most certainly what both the Second Sons and the Windblown are going to do.

If he plays a crucial in the coming victory, the Tattered Prince may rise quickly in Barristan's council. Perhaps he is the one who starts to shed light on Illyrio's past...

So, the placing of the chapters must be something along the lines of:

Victarion I

Barristan I

Tyrion I

Barristan II

Tyrion II

I would guess that there is another Victarion chapter, possibly after Barristan II?

Victarion I

Barristan I

Tyrion I

Barristan II

Tyrion II

I would guess that there is another Victarion chapter, possibly after Barristan II?

Fuck the Battle of Mereen is shaping up nicely, Epic stuff.

I'm actually beginning to suspect that the Prologue character is going to have to be at the battle for Meereen too.

The mention of The Tattered Prince at the end of this chapter seems unusual in that we are not given any information about this previously.

I'm guessing that Archibald Yronwood, or one of the hostages will be the prologue - or a one off character PoV - to fill in the gaps.

If he plays a crucial in the coming victory, the Tattered Prince may rise quickly in Barristan's council. Perhaps he is the one who starts to shed light on Illyrio's past...

So who is the Tattered Prince really? And why does he want Pentos so badly? I'm on a search for threads on it now. There's bound to be a crackpot on the money somewhere....

Victarion I

Barristan I

Tyrion I

Barristan II

Tyrion II

My guess was:

Barristan 1

Victarion 1

Tyrion 1

Barristan 2

[possibly Victarion 2]

Tyrion 2

[possibly Barristan 3 to end the battle?]

[and if my personal theory is correct this will be followed by a Daenerys chapter]

The above are my notes while the reading was happening. Here's a better summary:

And other news:

He was going to read a section of the original Dance of the Dragons piece as well, but there was no time. It would have been about the Sons of the Dragon.

His additions to the soon-to-be-released compendium have been severely trimmed, since they threatened to throw the book out of balance.

Don’t believe any suggestion of a release date until it’s on his website. He is still working on WoW.

The books are the books and the show is the show. People dead in the show will die (or not) on his terms in the books. Although he may draw a kinder portrait of Osha in the future.

He talked about part of his inspiration for ASOIAF being Tolkien. He loved the books, of course, but was amused by lines like how Aragorn ruled for so long and wisely. What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he make peace with the remaining orcs or did he conduct a policy of genocide? Those kinds of questions are what inspired this series.

In response to a question, he said that he has an idea for a sequel to Fever Dream, and has had for years. He doesn’t know when he would be able to get to it, though, like most of his ideas.

ETA: I didn't quite catch the name of the girl general. I heard Melessa, I convinced myself later that it was Missandei, but I'd forgotten the character of the Girl General who bid on Tyrion and Penny. So the Second Sons are declaring for the Queen's army at the end.

Thanks so much!!

The theory is that the Tattered Prince came to Meereen with the intention to join Daenerys. He charged one of his most trusted lieutenants, Pretty Meris, to contact Dany privately after she and the other Westerosi Windblown ha reached Meereen. But that plan did not work because Quentyn and company did not know about that and accused all of them to be fake defectors. Pretty Meris tried to talk to Dany shortly before she disappeared, but nothing came of it.

Later on the Tattered Prince seemed to jump on Quentyn's horse. Two dragons could have helped him to take Pentos quite easily, one might think.

Barristan's offer to join his cause would not have influenced him all that much. As to his past, we don't know who he is. But it's very likely that his fall from grace/exile has been caused by Varys and Illyrio. He is rather old and a member of Pentoshi aristocracy. It's easily possible that Varys uncovered a secret and Illyrio blackmailed him into exile. His whole point may be to explore Varys and Illyrio's background and give Dany a reason to doubt their motives and/or Aegon's identity. Tyrion cannot present Dany with any evidence, after all.

What we know about the Victarion chapters indicated that Dragonbinder is supposed to be blown during/after the battle. I think everybody will know when that happens. That thing is very loud, after all!

So Tyrion abandons Wicked Sister (Cersei) to fight on Dany's side.

Viserion withdrawing may be to heed the call of the horn, but you'd think the horn would be heard over the whole of the battle given the way it has been described. Perhaps more likely GRRM is separating the dragons so that only one will be affected by the horn, much cleaner that way.

Archived