[TWoW Spoilers] Worldcon reading: second Tyrion chapter

Joseph Nobles

I'd say Tyrion is my favorite character and then Theon. Top 4 right now for me go Tyrion>Theon>Arya>Victarion(So far, he's Dany's dream man and pretty much a bad ass).

50% of our top 4's agree!

That's pretty good.

Oth, Victarion isn't in my top 250 and Theon's not in my top 500, so not that good.

I will agree that the Theon/Stannis chapter from WOW was good. But typical of Theon's bad luck, he gets good as he is about to go bye-bye (or so it would appear).

On this we can agree, although I hope it is not the end for Theon.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but what's the deal with wanting revenge for the tatterd prince? Did he die or something?

The above are my notes while the reading was happening. Here's a better summary:

And other news:

He was going to read a section of the original Dance of the Dragons piece as well, but there was no time. It would have been about the Sons of the Dragon.

His additions to the soon-to-be-released compendium have been severely trimmed, since they threatened to throw the book out of balance.

Don’t believe any suggestion of a release date until it’s on his website. He is still working on WoW.

The books are the books and the show is the show. People dead in the show will die (or not) on his terms in the books. Although he may draw a kinder portrait of Osha in the future.

He talked about part of his inspiration for ASOIAF being Tolkien. He loved the books, of course, but was amused by lines like how Aragorn ruled for so long and wisely. What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he make peace with the remaining orcs or did he conduct a policy of genocide? Those kinds of questions are what inspired this series.

In response to a question, he said that he has an idea for a sequel to Fever Dream, and has had for years. He doesn’t know when he would be able to get to it, though, like most of his ideas.

ETA: I didn't quite catch the name of the girl general. I heard Melessa, I convinced myself later that it was Missandei, but I'd forgotten the character of the Girl General who bid on Tyrion and Penny. So the Second Sons are declaring for the Queen's army at the end.

I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but what's the deal with vengeance on the Tattered Prince? Does this mean that the TP has betrayed the Yunkish and the Yunkish now want revenge, or has the TP died and do they want revenge for him? I'm not following this completely...

Barristan had send the two remaining Dornishmen to negitiate with the TP to join Dany. Can I assume he accepted Barristans deal? And that this made the Yunkish pissed at him, and now they want their revenge?

I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but what's the deal with wanting revenge for the tatterd prince? Did he die or something?

I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but what's the deal with vengeance on the Tattered Prince? Does this mean that the TP has betrayed the Yunkish and the Yunkish now want revenge, or has the TP died and do they want revenge for him? I'm not following this completely...

Barristan had send the two remaining Dornishmen to negitiate with the TP to join Dany. Can I assume he accepted Barristans deal? And that this made the Yunkish pissed at him, and now they want their revenge?

Yes, that's a safe assumption at this point. It's all falling apart for the Yunkai.

Ok, thank you. That part was unclear for me until now :)

But Yunkai still has the Volantese fleet comming towards Meereen, right? Or did something happened with them as well?

No, they are still on their way. However, they are (as far as I am aware) crewed by slaves, who according to the Widow are waiting for Dany to liberate them. Also, a fleet is all well and good, but ships are made of wood, and there are dragons in the sky

No, they are still on their way. However, they are (as far as I am aware) crewed by slaves, who according to the Widow are waiting for Dany to liberate them. Also, a fleet is all well and good, but ships are made of wood, and there are dragons in the sky

Yes I know, that is going to be awesome! :) :D

Thank you for the quick response!

Not to mention the fact that the Volantenes may seriously reconsider their course of action when they arrive to see their allies smashed, broken and retreating back to the Yellow City.

I've always wondered about that quote. It seems unfathomable. Wonder what they'd be. Tommen getting his head smashed in? Rape of Sansa? The death of Jon Snow? Jojen paste? I feel like that line alone lends a lot of credence to theories that people would otherwise dismiss as too brutal

Link??

Need a timeline for Gerion's disappearance and Euron's banishment. It may fit, but I need some dates.

Well, admittedly there is not a lot to go on, however we know that Gerion left sometime between Tyrions birth and Roberts rebellion based on Tyrions own thoughts about how he asked Tywin if he could explore the free cities, and that Euron didn't leave Westeros until after Balons rebellion. From there It's really just a statement that it is possible and would seemingly explain both of their storylines without any serious flaws. Gerion never finding brightroar would explain why he stayed so long in search of it, and Euron is a pirate, not an explorer. From what we have seen at least.

Well, admittedly there is not a lot to go on, however we know that Gerion left sometime between Tyrions birth and Roberts rebellion based on Tyrions own thoughts about how he asked Tywin if he could explore the free cities, and that Euron didn't leave Westeros until after Balons rebellion. From there It's really just a statement that it is possible and would seemingly explain both of their storylines without any serious flaws. Gerion never finding brightroar would explain why he stayed so long in search of it, and Euron is a pirate, not an explorer. From what we have seen at least.

You must have been typing this as I posted, lol. I've been rereading Dance recently and just read a Tyrion chapter where he says he was 18 when Gerion left. I checked the wiki and it confirms this too, meaning he left in 292 AL. And, as you said, Euron left after sometime after Balon's Rebellion in 289, and it seems as if he's been gone for more than a few years when he gets back, so the timeline could potentially fit. I'd never considered this theory before but it does make sense. Like you said, Euron's a pirate, not an explorer, so it would make sense that he'd stolen everything he had.

Archived