[TWoW Spoilers] Worldcon reading: second Tyrion chapter

Joseph Nobles

The main issue I have with the Battle of Meereen (as opposed to the impending Battle of Ice, or the earlier Battle of the Blackwater) is that the villains are totally uninteresting, and while I want them defeated, it's more for the sake of ending this plot. Conversely, the Boltons are great villains who I really want to see go down for what they've done; with the Blackwater, the you had the Lannisters as the villains, but with both the POV characters either on their side or being held captive by them.

Long-time board member TrackerNeil recently posed the theory to me that Tyrion is going to make sure that Brown Ben Plumm dies in the heat of battle, the better to cement his influence over the Second Sons and smooth his relationship with Barristan after the battle. I like this theory quite a bit, and I could definitely see it happening.

Victorian could easily die during or shortly after the battle. I don't imagine that he understands the horn nearly as well as he thinks, and somebody else--*coughcoughEuroncough*--could wind up with control of the dragons instead and no further use for Victarion.

I really get the feeling GRRM should postpone TWoW, make a good and focused story out of the settings at Meereen, the Wall, Winterfell, and KL, covering all the battles. 'A Bath of Blood' may be a good title. I don't see much space for any Winds of Winter in the first half of the book in any case. And TWoW should not be the book where the Others show up only at the very end...

Yeah, and the same goes for Daario. It would feel a bit too convenient if Tyrion and Dany are both free of Penny and Daario in time for their arrival in Westeros.

What I wonder is who will be alive and in charge WHEN she gets back. There is no way Tyrion, Jorah, Barristan, and Victarion are all going to live through this battle and get along jolly fine afterwards.

Yeah, I'm really not sure what will happen. If Victarion takes control of a dragon (I don't believe he'll be able to take both), he'll obviously be in a very strong position. But I think Jorah and Tyrion will end up as prisoners.

I don't see Barristan being killed - otherwise, what is the point of his character? He hasn't really had a huge impact on Dany's story yet.

I kind of think we might just hear about that and get the details when Arianne arrives.

After he read Arianne II, GRRM said he'd include the battle for Storm's End because we'd want to see it. Personally I'd rather hear about it in flashback, but at the same time I'm interested to see how it happens. As long as it's only one chapter it should be fine.

If we're going to see the battle for Storm's End it'll be from JonCon's view, which could either make or ruin the scene since so far JonCon has been up until now rather "meh" to me. The scene in ADWD for example where the Golden Company pledged their allegiance to Aegon seemed like something I should have cheered the way you do when Robb is crowned in AGOT but I didn't get that sense of emotion with JonCon, maybe because he has had only two chapters to establish himself.

I expect that the battle of Meereen is likely to be the longest of those we know about: it has to link up Tyrion and the ironborn with Barristan while getting the dragons under control and giving a sense of the tactics employed by various sides. Winterfell and Storm's End should be less complicated, and might even be one chapter each.

Arianne has only heard rumors that the attack on Storm's End was messy. To see it directly from Jon Connington's POV could be interesting, especially if Aegon makes thing much more complicated or if he saves the day...

The Battle of Meereen could take quite long. The Volantenes will soon arrive as well, and Dany and Jhoqo's khalasar will go to Slaver's Bay as well, I'd think. So this really could become a succession of battles...

Mereen will be the longest. It has three POVs and so far at least 6 chapters. Compare that to Blackwater [3 POV, 6 total chapters] and it is obvious that Meeren is the biggest to date. The battle for Storm's End will be epic but not grand in scale since we have only one par of eyes [JonCon] through which to see it. The battle for Winterfell will probably be the same thing, epic but not grand because we'll only see it through one or two POVs max [Theon/Asha].

Isn't Aegon supposed to take Storm's End through "guile" or something? I'm pretty sure I read about this somewhere. Maybe this development will be shown, not a large battle (or siege) in its usual sense. As Storm's End is notoriously known for being nearly impossible to be taken by "storming", I think it makes sense that something unusual happened there, and we will see about it through Connington's POV.

Also, is there evidence (declarations by GRRM, or indications in other POVS) that the battle at the outskirts of Winterfell will really happen or is it pure speculation?

Anyway, very nice chapter indeed (Tyrion's), thank you for sharing Mr. Nobles.

I don't quite understand the Wicked Sisters.

Is it some sort of trebuchet? And if so for whom the Yunkai? Who are being flung in the air and eaten by a dragon? Is it being used like Joffrey and the Antlermen or is throwing rocks and knocking defenders on the wall into the air?

Theon and Asha only for the Battle on the Ice could be problematic. Theon may be killed before the battle, though, so it might be Asha only. But even if these two were used during the battle, it could only give us an impression of Stannis' actions. If Theon life is spared, he might be close to Stannis during the battle, just as he was in his first chapter. That could really be interesting.

I don't quite understand the Wicked Sisters.

Is it some sort of trebuchet? And if so for whom the Yunkai? Who are being flung in the air and eaten by a dragon? Is it being used like Joffrey and the Antlermen or is throwing rocks and knocking defenders on the wall into the air?

It's throwing dead bodies into Meereen in order to spread the plague. The dragons are eating the bodies as they fly through the air.

Thank you, Joseph Nobles.

Well, we do know that the Second Sons are not that eager to get near the Ironborn in the coming battle. So my guess is they are in no immediate danger to get attacked by Victarion. And Barristan's troops should show the dragon banner, so they won't be attacked, either. The Windblown may face more danger, but the best way to show you are on Daenerys' side is to attack the Yunkishmen and their allies. And that's most certainly what both the Second Sons and the Windblown are going to do.

If he plays a crucial in the coming victory, the Tattered Prince may rise quickly in Barristan's council. Perhaps he is the one who starts to shed light on Illyrio's past...

I believe he may be the one to provide the clues used to find out Aegon's true origins as well. He is from Pentos after all, and he could still be keeping tabs on what goes on in that city. I can't think of any other way of how Tyrion and Dany would be able to come to the conclusion that Aegon is fake.

Yeah, I'm really not sure what will happen. If Victarion takes control of a dragon (I don't believe he'll be able to take both), he'll obviously be in a very strong position. But I think Jorah and Tyrion will end up as prisoners.

I don't see Barristan being killed - otherwise, what is the point of his character? He hasn't really had a huge impact on Dany's story yet

Well, sure, but you've now got three POVs--Victarion, Tyrion, and Barristan--in one place, in the middle of a battle, where people tend to get dead, so it makes sense that at least one of those POVs is going to go, and if Tyrion's pretty much safe (for now), and Victarion's getting a dragon, that pretty much means Barristan is going to die. Granted, at Blackwater the three POVs came through it safely, but we're about at the point now when GRRM is probably going to start streamlining his POVs, and Barristan would be an ideal candidate.

It's throwing dead bodies into Meereen in order to spread the plague. The dragons are eating the bodies as they fly through the air.

...hopefully with amusing "YOINK!" sound effects.

Victarion is the one going to die most probably. GRRM said he's stupid enough some time ago, and gave the impression he didn't have many time left being a pawn of Moqorro's. Don't remember when, though.

Archived