September Reads

mashiara

Cracking book from a great author. If you're hungry for more, Banquet For the Damned is well worth sinking your teeth into. As I said in another thread, it's the one book I've read as an adult that's left me truly scared of the dark.

I've just today finished another of Nevill's stories - Last Days. Not quite as good as his other stuff, but still better than a lot of contemporary horror novels out there.

I'll definitely read his other books!

Next on deck is Planesrunner by Ian McDonald.

I finished The Sacred Band by David Anthony Durham last week and it genuinely surprised me. I was very lukewarm about the first two in the trilogy, but the final volume really made the slog through them worth it. There still was too little dialogue for my liking, but the build up of characters and plot paid off very well.

Today I finished The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis and it blew me away. The first two thirds were a slow build which kept me wondering how it was going to get where it was obviously going, but the last third was a rip roaring good time. Fantastic series, and I'll be reading the final volume no later than November.

I've started The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron, and so far it feels extremely... simple. Hopefully it improves (the Publishers Weekly review does mention a slow start).

Reading "This is How You Lose her" by Junot Diaz, it's a book that comes highly recommended by a friend and I'm really liking it so far. I have a thing for short stories all linked in some way or another.

I'm also trying to finish Anna Karenina, Bad Pharma and Someday Find Me.

Well, I finally finished The Accursed Kings; overall, I enjoyed the heptalogy, but the first four squarly beat the last three, IMO, which left me a bit disappointed it's not all great. Personally, I feel that Druon should have made the fifth book about the eventful rule of Philip V, not about Isabella and Mortimer - Isabella might have been Philip IV's daughter, but her fate bound her to England and this was meant to be a series about the French history, no? It is also possible that Druon wanted to introduce Edward III properly because of the Hundred's Years War. Nevertheless, he would have done better if he gave the space he gave to Isabella to Philip and the situation in England was briefly described in the prologue, instead of taking over most of the book.

Another thing which left me a bit cold was the portrayal of Edward II; seriously, that somebody's an incompetent king doesn't neccessarily mean he's absolutely pathetic in everything he does ... albeit the author later tries to make the reader more sympathetic to him. I'm not sure if I should write it off as homophobia, not so rare in 50's, or whether I should think it's just a coincidence because some of the straight men were shown to be dunces, too.

But not to be unfair, I really, really liked the books, otherwise. Sure, a part of the fun was that I knew very little about France in this period, so everything was new to me, but, OTOH, it shows Druon's storytelling skills that I never became lost in all those Louises, Philips, Jeans, Jeannes, Margurietes, Charleses, Blanches I was utterly ignorant about previously.

Now, I am roughly in the middle of The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. So far it's a pleasant reading, but the parts told by Iris from the present time sometimes feel too long.

The First Law Trilogy. 40 pages in, so far so good. Then finishing the Acts of Caine with Caine Black Knife and Caine's Law.

Just finished the Blade Itself and I loved it. I'm going to read the Black Dahlia by James Ellroy before moving on to book two of First Law.

I will jump this bandwagon as soon as I finish The Blind Assassin. Can't wait! :D

I read the really nice anthology "Unfettered" with stories by a bunch of rather well liked authors on this board. I am surprised there´s not a single thread for this, since it is probably the most distinguished anthology since Warriors. Of course with such a huge selection of authors, one cannot like all stories. My personal favourities were The Sound of Broken Absolutes by Peter Orullian, Dogs by Daniel Abraham and The Unfettered Knight by Shawn Stasiak himself. There is also more interesting stuff by Tad Williams, Michael Sullivan and of course that one missing piece from the final WOT book.

I finished Tracato by Joel Shepherd. It is not a bad story, except I'm finding that I'm not a fan of military fantasy. It has good characterization and plot, but the abundant battle scenes make my eyes glaze over.

Still, there is enough there to make me go and read the final book of the series, Haven.

I finished the Sandman Slim and Felix Castor series, both recommended by RedEyedGhost, and I have to thank him - they were both great and lotsa fun! Thanks. I've read several books you've rec'd, and I've enjoyed all of them.

I read The Grim Company, and loved it.

Now I'm waiting for Republic of Thieves, I guess. In the meantime, I started re-reading the first 4 volumes of Shadows of the Apt. I burned out on the series the first time, but I seem to be liking it better this time around.

Finished The Dragonbone Chair yesterday, the beginning was slow but once the story really started moving I started taking every available moment to read. So looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Currently I'm reading Star Trek: Log One by Alan Dean Foster, it's collection of three stories adapted from episodes of the animated Star Trek series. My uncle gave me four old Star Trek books years ago and I've finally gotten around to them. I finished the first and longest story already today so I'm expecting this to be a short interlude between Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn books.

I'm getting close to finishing up "The Tyrant's Law" book three of the Dagger and Coin series by Daniel Abraham. I'm trying to strrrrretch it out as long as possible, though. Hate to have to wait for the next one since I'm thoroughly invested in all the characters now.

I'm a bit past the half of The Dragon's Path... took me a bit to get interested but I'm liking where it's heading.

I've been home sick for most of the last week, which would have been a better excuse to catch up on reading if it wasn't for the whole coughing, lying-in-bed-shivering and ... well, generally "being sick" thing.

Psst. You have a book to read.

I finished the Sandman Slim and Felix Castor series, both recommended by RedEyedGhost, and I have to thank him - they were both great and lotsa fun! Thanks. I've read several books you've rec'd, and I've enjoyed all of them.

Happy to help! iirc, I recommended the Felix Castor books for their content not for quality, because I have yet to read them myself! Although I intend to rectify that soon, and plan to read The Devil You Know early next month. I'm really looking forward to it, and don't know why I've put it off for so long.

Happy to help! iirc, I recommended the Felix Castor books for their content not for quality, because I have yet to read them myself! Although I intend to rectify that soon, and plan to read The Devil You Know early next month. I'm really looking forward to it, and don't know why I've put it off for so long.

I almost never enjoy UF, although I keep trying for some reason. Felix Castor is an exception. "Endearing" is the word I would use...

I finished the Prisoner of Azkaban last night, now I'm at a loss. I think I ought to read Abercrombie's The Heroes, and get lost in my love for him again.

The Reader has been put on hold until my head is less fuzzy. I need comfort books now :P

I completely LOVED the Prisoner of Azkaban! That's my favorite book of the series.

Archived