I Regret Nothing (except maybe the ghost chile shots). WorldCon Reports

I think this year’s private party was my favorite yet, because it was so low-key and the people were so awesome. The new friends we made that night, including Dunknegg, Marcus, Amber & Missy Mayhem (you guys looked so fabulous in your garb)...

Thanks so much! Had fun dressing up both Friday & Saturday nights. Friday, I was a little uncomfortable in my Ren garb, however I learned an important lesson... it's never a good idea to eat a full plate of mexican food then put a corset on. After about midnight, I had to go change into something else, so live & learn. But the Friday night party was so much fun because as you said yourself, it was very low key and the people were amazing.

I think my most memorable con-moment was Friday as well. I was in the crowd towards the back of the room listening to your speech, so when the noobs were dispatched to take a dragon pepper shot, I didn't go. Cause I'm awkward or some nonsense, (I have space issues dammit). Well, Amber then TELLS ON ME to George, who agreed I must take it & told me so. :dunno: :dunce: :bowdown: So when George tells you to take the shot, you take the shot. I hung my head in shame & went straight to the bar for my dragon pepper shot, which was quite tasty...until the afterburn arrived. Woah. But I'm so glad I did it and happier still to have had that fun little moment with George.

My other most memorable moment was Saturday night. Amber & I were showing Rory, Tyler & Raya to Lodey's room so Rory could take a break from the massive party crowd in the suite. (Hey, he has space issues too, I'm in good company.) Rory asked where we were going & someone explained, he then nodded towards me & said, "I just want to go wherever THOSE are going." So yeah, I had a wee bit of a fan girl moment there... Rory was totally checking out my steampunk outfit. It was all downhill after that, can't top that one. Con DONE. (Btw, when I told my husband about it later, he laughed & high fived me. Loved that reaction!)

But yeah, the BwB parties were AMAZING. Thanks to all the staff, especially the bartenders. You guys were great. Can't wait to be apart of the next con & help out more, although I'm not sure London will be in the cards for me.

After the reading, I went to dinner with LP, Mandy, and Missy(aka Miss Etheridge). I soaked in as much as I could to try and catch up as I am years behind the Brother's culture never having been to a Worldcon before. After dinner, we headed back to the hotel and LP, Missy, Amanda and Marcus stepped into their alter egos for the party.

I was so glad we got to have dinner! That was really great & it was my first time spending time with some BwB-ers. So glad to have met you & look forward to getting to know you better on the board. Cheers, mate!

So much to say about this past weekend. Words cannot fully express. I gave it a try, and I'm including the link here, but let me just say that hanging with all of you was the absolute best. I had my obligations and my commitments that kept me running at mach speed, but on the rare occasions that my insane schedule allowed me to chill, you guys were the ones I wanted to be with. Best of times.

Thank you, Parris, Mutha, Raya, Tyler, and of course George for a memorable BBQ run to Kreuz Market ('What do you mean you're sold out of everything except beef shoulder and sausage?'). And yet it was all still SO damn good.

And to XRay and Mr. X for being the coolest ever. Thanks for looking out for Tara and me, both of you.

To all who were there for our impromptu hotel lobby single-malt party on Monday night -- that was one of my favorite times at ANY Worldcon. That was also my first time popping open a bottle of Macallan Cask Strength, and wow, that stuff was smmmmmoooooooooooooth. Glenlivet 18 was yummy too. And RedWoman -- that was the best rendition of 'Happy Birthday' I'll ever hear in my life. Thank you. :)

To all of you -- this city ain't the same without you. Next stop: London and LonCon3. Holler at me, people. I'm here for you. :)

http://picacio.blogspot.com/2013/09/dragon-con-worldcon-2013-heavy-metal.html

Frisco,

Epic report. :)

Well, I did neglect to mention that I hung around you enough for your con travel luck to rub off on me. :D

And I don't mean that sarcastically. Monday night was as epic a night as the rest--I've never been happier about a cancelled flight. I think I'm going to start flying out on Tuesday from now on, but *telling* the BwB that I'm leaving on Monday just to get all the extra tearful goodbyes and extra "welcome back" hugs a couple hours later. >.>

Besides the impossible to count number of laughs, jokes, drinks, stories, hugs, and smokes, here are some things that I remember* in no particular order:

- George & John got Hugos - nuff said

- Hotel drinks are expensive anywhere you go - even regional beers

- Being shot while in Texas by Lee Harvey Oswald at the BwB private party was ironic (back and to the left)

- There were far too many people that were "confirmed" to come to Worldcon that didn't - I propose we institute a penalty for "confirmed abandoners" :)

- Met some fantastic new people and became fast friends

- I owe DaveAx 5 nights of uninterrupted, relaxing, soothing, sleep - pick a resort and send me the bill

- John Picacio is a better man than he is an artist which is something really, really hard to be

- From the perspective of a commoner (and village drunk), everything looked to have gone effortlessly and perfectly - a testament to the great leadership, everyone's hard work, and organization.

- Snakequake! It is coming, as is its sequel. Next time you piss on a urinal cake and it growls SNAKEQUAKE! check your local listings.

- I blame Pod

- Due to so many issues with flights (probably safe to blame Pod for this one too) - it was selfishly fantastic to get people coming BACK to the con!

- Balconies are dangerously delicious

- Iron Maiden

- Boobs

- HBO sending Rory - great guy, was a true delight to meet him

- Getting an autographed napkin-copy of Gardner Dozois pick-up lines and purchasing his con badge from JetBoyGirl for $20, netting her over a $19 profit

- Red Wedding Stabbing emotes (not to be confused with masturbation)

- Having a chance to help out, check out, and make a purchase in the art show - you artists go through a lot to get those exhibits ready for primetime

- Getting signed copies of books from BwB authors with really nice messages in them

- Every moment with all of you - it continues to blow me away the genuine love, friendship, caring, and comfort we enjoy. It is true that if it were easy everyone would do it. And I never take that for granted, but instead try to squeeze out every drop.

*untrustworthy POV

Hi all! This is Anne from WorldCon. I met many of you at the pre-party (thanks Lodey!) and the private BWB party.

I wanted to say a great big THANK YOU to everyone for being so friendly! My husband Zak and I had a fantastic time with you and bought BWB t-shirts and ribbons to support the BWB ghost-chile-lifestyle... ;)

I paint miniatures for part of my living so when I finish any Song of Ice and Fire minis I'll be sure to post pics here.

Zak and I had such a great time, we are now cautiously planning for WorldCon in London...crossing fingers!

Thanks again to all,

--Anne :)

After having such a great time with all of you, returning to the daily grind has been a bit of a drag. As I type this my nine year old is having a freakin meltdown downstairs over what I am guessing is homework related. It was really fun to meet you all in person, as I have only been a lurker on the boards since Lucky Pierre got me involved in all of this debauchery. I have to confess I still don't know everyone by their board name so forgive me if I get names confused.

We met Lodey immediately upon arrival and pretty much climbed up his ass and stayed there for the remainder of the con. It's a nice place, Lodey's ass. -Ain't no party like a Lodey's room party cuz a Lodey's room party don't stop!

I really didn't get to see much at the actual con but managed to buy some cool stuff and caught the George and Howard show, that was fun. So other than some douche posting our picture in the paper and calling us out as geeks, seeing some amazing art work and scoring a really a pretty skirt I do not have much to say about the convention itself. The intense hangovers kept me from pretty much all of it...although I did have loads of things I intended on seeing!

The parties, however, were very fun...even the damn shot that turned my intestines into a pit of fire. It was great to meet George, he's very nice. I am so glad that Raya posted a pic of Marcus and I with him because I would never have asked for one. So many fun conversations about anything and everything from science with Nate to Mel Brooks quotes.

SOME of the moments that are still clear enough to remember:

OMG what is that?!? Oh, it's beef jerky ( it was on my white sheets, in my bed Sunday morning)

Yeah, we don't want that load

Red wedding hand gestures

Impromptu singing in Lodey's room...which happens very often with me after a few drinks, be grateful there wasn't a pool table or I would have been standing on it.

Rory calling me a little bird

The elves of Westeros

Keep calm and love Nate!

Marcus looking like he pleasured the glitter fairy because of his glittery mustache

Eyelashes on Missy Mayhems boobies

Accosting David Goodwin with hugs

Martha's tattoos!!!

It was like the Kennedy assassination!

AND everything before, in between and after.

Anyway, it was so much fun. Marcus and I are attempting to adopt Lodey :) We really really hope to make it to London next year to see you all again if you will have us. It's not often that we meet such a great group of people who are so welcoming and non-doodoo holey. We are down for meet ups at any time so if you are in Austin please consider our door open to you.

Nate and I hugged so much that I was legitimately worried that our PDA was going to get us reported to the Con harassment panel.

Failing to hug Nate is illegal in all fifty states, so you have no worries there. I am a little surprised Mutha and I weren't kicked out of the hotel for our antics Monday night, however. It started with just brushing our boobs against each other. But the boob smooshing gradually escalated. Then the party moved to the second floor lobby for drinking John's single malt, and I decided it was sadly time to say goodnight and goodbye. Mutha said a right proper goodbye by leaning me against the railing and dry humping me like her life depended on it. I needed a cigarette after, and I don't even smoke! :hat: I think the only reason we didn't get kicked out is no one other than Mr. X (whose expression was increasingly priceless with each incident) ever looked over at the right moments.

Wow. Where to begin? Especially when you have a memory like a steel sieve? And your CHECK LIVER light has quit flickering and gone to a steady red?

The low-key party crawl on Wednesday night. Drinking with Jo in the bar and watching Lodey and Raya appear from nowhere and storm the bar for buckets of beer, and Jo and I jumping up for a few more buckets to follow them. The subsequent party in Lodey's room. Where more than once I caught myself calculating in my head both the load-bearing capacity of the balcony and the terminal velocity of a 19-story drop. XRay, if you think the crowd on the balcony was just trying to smoke in peace, well, um, NO. We were a little annoyed no one had a camera ready when you attacked the glass, though! THAT PICTURE WOULD SO BE ALL OVER TEH INTERWEBBIES RIGHT NOW. Or a poster next year in London. :)

Delivering Ancient Booze for the party. Delivering a couple fresh bottles later after the KC booze run, because BROS. Meeting and re-meeting Bros, putting faces to names. (Which you will all have to remind me of in London. See above, steel sieve. I can remember a face for years -- names, not so much.) The fantastic Friday night party. Meeting the Hound. The fantastic Saturday night party. George's Hugo speech. Rory's even shorter speech. The double-shot of Orange Ghost. The hiccups it gave me, requiring chugging a pint of cold water. Yeah, just for the hiccups. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. The obligatory picture of self sitting on the Iron Throne. Being chased about by an angry Dalek telling me I would eat the cake or be exterminated....

And oh my yes, the party in the bar Monday night and on the second floor. Red Woman singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Jon P. The foray in the wee hours, seeking a suitable liver donor ... OK, that one may have just been a dream.

Bros rock. I've spent over thirty years in fandom and there is NO better group than the Bros.

I was having a shitty day at work and I found my tiara in my purse and put it on so I could be an entitled megabitch and mutter to myself all afternoon. (Seriously, I was super close to an IM LEAVIN FUCKERS moment with some coworkers who crossed me.) I was working in my office for an hour or so until an old student stopped by with her mother, looking for a textbook. I didn't realize until halfway through leading her to another room that I was still wearing the tiara. Oops.

I was having a shitty day at work and I found my tiara in my purse and put it on so I could be an entitled megabitch and mutter to myself all afternoon. (Seriously, I was super close to an IM LEAVIN FUCKERS moment with some coworkers who crossed me.) I was working in my office for an hour or so until an old student stopped by with her mother, looking for a textbook. I didn't realize until halfway through leading her to another room that I was still wearing the tiara. Oops.

Haha! Kat, that's awesome. You are a total hoot.

Yeah. I am saving my tiara, too. I may need it in case of an emergency. And when I look at it, a little magik and glitter comes back to me.

Seriously love these stories. Thanks for sharing them.

Hi all! This is Anne from WorldCon. I met many of you at the pre-party (thanks Lodey!) and the private BWB party.

I was hoping you were going to post! So great to meet you, even if you and Zak were partly responsible for me drinking too damned much on Thursday. ;) :cheers:

I didn't realize until halfway through leading her to another room that I was still wearing the tiara. Oops.

:commie:

I love it, Kat. I send you chest-bumps from afar.

Archived