Daenerys

Das_Boof

In the first book I didn't really care about Dany. Barring a couple really good moments, (Viserys death, the dragons) it was just sort of there. Don't get me wrong I didn't hate her storyline, I wasn't bored, I just would rather have been reading Tyrion or Eddard. However during a Clash of Kings I was bored the entire duration of her story except during the house of the undying which was intriguing. In the third book however I'm really digging her story. Just curious if anyone shares my opinion on the exiled queen.

Well, I have never found her chapters boring, but I wasn't very interested in them either. Since she never put a foot in Westeros I can't help viewing her as a character who just doesn't belong in the story. I did like those interesting chapters you mentioned about her. She has developed a new personality by ASOS, she is secure of herself, strong willed, and a respectable leader. Besides, she starting to conquer cities and experiencing queenship seems far more interesting than reading about the wanderings of a weak and hopeless khalasar (Daenerys in ACOK).

We're introduced to Dany as a helpless girl that owes everything she knows to her brother. When she starts wondering if Viserys would actually be a good king, it's the first time she understands the world is different than the way Visery's described it. From that point, her development starts (a girl who has always been in the shadow of her brother learns to talk like a queen).

Long story short, despite that everything looks promising before Drogo's death, she then starts almost alone from zero. Personally, I find her storyline quite interesting along with Dany's traits.

I only liked reading Danys chapters for the characters surrounding her.

She's my least favorite of the main characters and yes, if she *won* in the end it would be a huge dissapointment (althought I doubt there will be a clear winner so to speak)

Just finished SOS and looking forward to A feast for crowes the most cause ... she's not in it right ?

anyway just my opinion.

She's my least favorite of the main characters and yes, if she *won* in the end it would be a huge dissapointment

I'm not sure she's here to win the throne any more than she was here to be Khal Drogo's bride or to free the slaves or to hatch dragon eggs.

Daenerys is on a mission for sure, but it seems to be larger than that.

you could very well be right.

I hope she gets more interesting and dynamic rather than just slowly gaining power and adding to her army

almost every other main character has had some kind of interesting twist or shock happen to them or some action they performed which was shocking ( I guess Dany was interesting in book one but not since for me and this thread is for aSoS anyhow)

Dany has just been well, moving straight along so to speak so, she's my least favorite read in comparison to the other POV characters because of her seemingly linear progression

just my opinion no hard feelings =)

• 3 months later...

Idk, thus far ive enjoyed all of Dany's storylines because they are such a break from Westeros...She introduces us to so much more culture and she is in complete diffrect circumstances from everyone else...I even loves Clash because although they were slow...they were rather cryptic and dreamlike which i thought was cool since she was physically and mentally lost...I like that since they gave her dragons in Game of Thrones, they left her basically lost in Clash because, well she was physically "lost" even though she had some new baby dragons it does not solve anything for that matter...i think the reason people like her arc more in the third book is because well the dragons are growing...not big but still growing and shes learning and going through some what of a real uphill journey now with a new purpose and identity to go with it

I also have to disagree...although nothing has been particularly "shocking"...like maybe arya killing the guard at Harrenhal or something else (cant think of anything right now)...Dany is shocking in a different way...shes cunning and has a good sense for war...the way she handled astapor was ruthless, yet very necessary and badass...and the her strategy of getting the Second Sons drunk in Yunkai was also smart...Dany has been a follower her whole life in exhile. She has been following her beggar king brother learning from him and fleeting with him from city to city. So her story has to be a bit more gradual personally...I can see why people dislike her chapters tho

Archived