The FM that killed Balon Greyjoy

Mithras

If the captain of the Myraham's story is true..it was a violent storm from the west ( the drection Euron was coming from ) That blew the whole bridge apart ... and if the FM was waiting on the bridge , he likely wouldn't have survived either.

I think a FM would kill by whatever means are possible , but so far we see no sign of them working weather magic. Furthermore, I feel that the FM wouldn't take on an assignment that worked against Braavos' interests or stability , and Euron is definitely a disruptive influence.

So Euron still has the dragon egg?

If the captain of the Myraham's story is true..it was a violent storm from the west ( the drection Euron was coming from ) That blew the whole bridge apart ... and if the FM was waiting on the bridge , he likely wouldn't have survived either.

Good point. I have to admit I hadn't considered that before. And notice that the story came from the captain of the Myraham...

The Crow's Eye sipped from his silver cup. "I once held a dragon's egg in this hand, brother. This Myrish wizard swore he could hatch it if I gave him a year and all the gold that he required. When I grew bored with his excuses, I slew him. As he watched his entrails sliding through his fingers he said, But it has not been a year.'" He laughed.

Victarion II, Feast

Perhaps one or more of Euron's creatures had worked elemental sorcery to kill Balon. The woods witch's prophecy is still fulfilled and Euron either really did toss the egg into the sea or he still has it. Or maybe, just maybe, there is a fourth dragon out there growing and waiting for Euron to fetch him...

Good point. I have to admit I hadn't considered that before. And notice that the story came from the captain of the Myraham...

Victarion II, Feast

Perhaps one or more of Euron's creatures had worked elemental sorcery to kill Balon. The woods witch's prophecy is still fulfilled and Euron either really did toss the egg into the sea or he still has it. Or maybe, just maybe, there is a fourth dragon out there growing and waiting for Euron to fetch him...

Tantalizing possibility... Who knows what's up with this dragon egg ? Did he ever really have one ? Maybe.. but if he did, I can't believe that he'd throw it into the sea .. or give it to the FM when he doesn't really need them in order to kill Balon.
If he ever had one , I'd bet he still does.
Unless your speculation (in bold above) pans out , as far as anyone knows, there's only one person who's been capable of hatching a dragon egg in a very long time.. and she has 3 dragons already. Euron may want Dany even more than her dragons (and not for her beauty)... Does anyone know for sure what will happen when the horn is blown ? There are lots of possibilities ...Does anyone know if her dragons will all survive ? What if the horn binds some ,but not all .. possibly setting dragon against dragon ?.. Maybe then you'd have some insurance if you have Dany ? ..Who knows?
We still have a lot to learn about Braavos , but I feel the FM , the IB and the Sealord must be in communication and designed, ideally, to work in co-operation, insofar as the well being of the state is concerned. .. Dragon eggs are valuable , especially if there's a means to hatch them ( or supposing you want to keep an egg away from Dany ) , but at the cost of promoting a destructive force like Euron ?.. I have grave doubts.
Furthermore, Braavos existed for a long time in a world with dragons.. it was the slavery it's founders were running from . The dragons were perhaps mainly an issue because they were controlled by the ones who were doing the enslaving. Braavosi history even has an instance of Braavos and Targaryen-controlled dragons being on the same side.. So I don't think their motivation is necessarily "find and destroy all dragons and dragon eggs."
We don't know if FM can work weather magic , but there are strong hints that Euron and his warlocks can. ..E.G. in the Victarion chapter describing how the iron fleet attacked (also approaching from far out to the west), and the supposed unnaturally favourable winds they enjoyed, before Vic set out for Slaver's Bay.. and at one point , Euron even says "I am the storm."

Aeron also repeatedly claimed that the Storm God plucked Balon from the bridge.

Throwing something to the sea is a religious sacrifice for the ironborn. Strong magic requires great sacrifices, or so we are told.

We know that Euron captured Pyatt Pree outside Qarth and they were heading to Pentos which was Dany’s destination too at the time being. I think Euron already had that egg while coming to Qarth and meet Dany and her dragons. Perhaps he wanted to give it to Dany as a gift and promise to take her back to Westeros and win her father’s throne in return of her hand.

Having heard from the warlocks that Dany started West for Pentos, it is possible that Euron went to Pentos too but at one point he should have heard that Dany changed course to SB.

I think at this point, when he learned that Dany was sacking the slaver cities and collecting an army, Euron decided to take the Seastone Chair and go to Dany with the full might of the ironborn. To the sorrow of Quentyn, we know that one should come before the Queen not like a beggar but with a strong force. So, he paid the dragon egg price to the HoB&W or to the warlocks to have Balon killed.

I think Euron possibly looted the ship of a guy who really went to Valyria and found stuff including that dragon egg. I think that guy is none other than Gerion Lannister aka the Corsair King.

Personally, I wouldn't believe half of what Euron says. Hell, I wouldn't believe any of it, without some sort of proof. The man is the consummate teller of tall-tales, not to mention emotional manipulator and in general a classic magnificient bastard.

Not to mention extremely cruel and sadistic.

Paper Waver... Interesting speculation about Gerion Lannister..

I don't really see Euron making sincere sacrifice to the god of the ironborn . I believe Aeron when he says Euron is no godly man. Vic may strive to be a godly man in his (misguided?) way , but Euron ? ..I think not so much.

I wouldn't say your scenario is impossible so far as the movement of characters go , but whatever Euron might have said to Dany would certainly be a lie.. If he wanted to win a throne for anyone ,it would be himself .. If we look at the way he's treated other women around him , I don't think he would ever want to be Dany's consort ..or even co-ruler.. ( the same is true of Vic,who wants to best Euron by being like him).

So for me, it's not a matter of could he have made such plans , but would he ? I think he would always have intended to take what he wanted. I think he's an iron price man all the way. I think he'd have envisioned Dany as becoming a glorified Dusky Woman .

I can't see why he would pay the warlocks since they seem to be under his control... if he hasn't become one of them. Vic is probably where he is because Dany would never trust anyone with blue lips again.

Euron lusted for Dany's dragons, just like everyone else. But if he means to be the king of Westeros, he might want to make his heir from Dany as well. That means he has to play nice to Dany for some time and he is good at playing.

Euron is not typically an iron price man. He likes to manipulate people and let them do his dirty work which includes paying the iron price. He makes the plans and lets Victarion do the fighting.

Does euron need to use a fm to kill balon?! It's not like he's Robb or joff, surrounded by bodyguards. Seems like a normal assassin could do the job, not one which costs half a kingdom

I don't understand that either. It's clear that Euron doesn't want the murder to be traced back to him but is FM really the only option? Everybody on the Iron Islands think that Euron had his hand in Balon's death anyways just because of his reputation and the fact that he showed up a day later. Didn't prevent anyone from voting for him in the kingsmoot. Euron has acquired a lot of wealth and can spend the gold on a FM but how about the personal sacrifice, wouldn't that be too high of a price to pay? Euron could have easily hired some non-FM assassin in Essos or Westeros, the price would be significantly lower and the risks only marginally higher.

"I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings." (Ghost of High Heart)

I don't see much merit in discussing whether Euron had to hire a faceless man or not. It seems pretty straigth forward that a faceless man did the deed.

Now, it need not have been Euron that hired the faceless man, but what with his convenient appearance and all....

Why does the timeline forbid Jaqen?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Aj_uNZmcJaTddG9BVU5tRnJJTE5KcE5JRkFha1ZfNUE&type=view&gid=8&f=true&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=428

So it takes 98 days to go from WF to KL. It took 88 days for Jaqen to go from Harrenhal to Pyke, and Harrenhal ----> Pyke is about half the distance of WF ---> KL, so it's reasonable.

And Jaqen showed up at the Citadel 55 days later, which is also reasonable.

But IMO it's just a random FM wearing the face of Balon's salt wife or something. We don't know who the FM was and IMO we will never know.

Well, when ravens eat eyes, they get knowledge. If the Drowned God is actually controlled by someone like the Old Gods are, they would absorbs Balon's knowledge I guess.

Ironically, I just read this, where Davos is in the dungeon at Dragonstone...

They do not mean to let me die, he realized. They are keeping me alive, for some purpose of their own. He did not like to think what that might be. Lord Sunglass had been confined in the cells beneath Dragonstone for a time, as had Ser Hubard Rambton's sons; all of them had ended on the pyre. I should have given myself to the sea, Davos thought as he sat staring at the torch beyond the bars. Or let the sail pass me by, to perish on my rock. I would sooner feed crabs than flames.

Davos III, Storm

"Asha, my two tall sons fed the crabs of Fair Isle."

Rodrik Harlaw neither wanted the First Rebellion of Balon and nor the Second one but his two sons were killed in the First Rebellion all the same.

Balon fed the crabs and I think Euron will feed the crabs too in return of the Reader's sons.

The crab that Euron will feed is this one:

There’s three kinds of crabs in there. Red crabs [stannis] and spider crabs [fAegon] and conquerors [Dany].

I think it will happen during Euron's Attack to Oldtown in which fAegon will come at the final moment to save the city.

A man without a face waiting on a bridge is apparently something people manage to ignore in their theories. I forget who first proposed the theory that I believe, which is that Euron gave the Egg to the FM to pay for Balon's death and that's what Jaqen is doing in Oldtown. I am not willing to ignore the prophecy.

Archived