Rugby - Pre Binding Edition

ljkeane

Yeah, it's not looking good.

I do think the pack have been playing pretty well and I was a bit worried about the backrow's form coming into the Autumn Internationals but we should be competitive in the forwards. Admittedly all the injuries at loosehead are a bit of a concern though. The real problem is even with the forwards clearly on top last year it still needed the backs to score 3 tries, largely down to Tuilagi, and it's hard to see much coming from that backline.

It's a shame really as I thought we were pretty well set to start developing a decent backline at the start of the year. They played with some attacking intent in Argentina, Wade and Yarde looked excellent prospects on the wing, and Farrell ended last year with the Lions playing well and looked to have continued that form with Saracens, with Burns as an option if he didn't perform. Unfortunately we've managed to lose our three best attacking prospects in the backs through injury, Farrell's been poor and Burns is stuck playing behind a terrible Gloucester tight five. Added to that Twelvetrees has been fairly disappointing and Tomkins anonymous in the centres.

So, yeah, all in all with New Zealand probably still particularly irritated about losing last year I think we're going to get mullered.

Still it may well be my only chance to see the likes of Carter and McCaw play live so I'm looking forward to that. Is anyone else going to the game at Twickenham?

They are the team everyone wants to beat, because it's such a rare thing to achieve. Once in a career for some people.

If only.

Ireland ended up having a decent win against Samoa last week but there was some good fortune in there too. Bigger test now and no more "first game of the season" excuses.

And then last chance for O'Driscoll against the All Blacks the following week. I think we need them to win really well this weekend and start thinking about a well earned rest straight after. And still hope Ireland have a rare very good performance.

It's going to be brutal. That said the Scotland match is going top be tough as well :eek:

It is difficult to see how Scotland could win, although I'm sure I thought the same before they beat South Africa back in 2010 and the Scottish team is a bit better than it was back then so I guess anything is possible.

It is difficult to see how Scotland could win, although I'm sure I thought the same before they beat South Africa back in 2010 and the Scottish team is a bit better than it was back then so I guess anything is possible.

They were sloppy in the first half against Japan, they only had the chance to settle because Japan didn't have a much by way of firepower. They made holes but did nothing with it, and the scramble defence was almost non-existent. Against a big powerful South Africa, they will struggle to get into their stride. I'll be cheering like a mad thing, but the crowd will likely be the only thing Scotland have going for them.

I don't think so. I'd quite like to but I don't really want to miss playing two games in the space of a month. It should be a good game though.

Fair enough.

How much are tickets and are there any left? I am only 45 minutes from Manchester so it could be done...

Do you know whta? I missed out the all important word "Semi" in my original post. I'm off to the game at Wembley, not Manchester! Soz. Tickets were about a score though when we got them. Just edited my original post...

South Africa's new coach is building a powerful squad slowly but surely. Unlike some of the political appointees that went before him he actually knows what he is doing and has the track record to prove it. They are going to be tough to beat for anyone, let alone Scotland, who stand no chance.

As for England vs the All Blacks: Unless NZ have another bout of food poisoning I think it is good night nurse for England.

Those two teams really are some ways ahead of the rest of the world at the moment.

South Africa's new coach is building a powerful squad slowly but surely. Unlike some of the political appointees that went before him he actually knows what he is doing and has the track record to prove it. They are going to be tough to beat for anyone, let alone Scotland, who stand no chance.

Largely by getting back the players from 2011 it seems but they are building well.

Having said that while obviously they're favourites I wouldn't say Scotland stand no chance, as Will said they beat South Africa in 2010, Scotland have a better team now and they did cause the Springboks some problems in South Africa in the summer. It's a shame Matt Scott's not fit to play though as he'd improve their chances.

Do you know whta? I missed out the all important word "Semi" in my original post. I'm off to the game at Wembley, not Manchester! Soz. Tickets were about a score though when we got them. Just edited my original post...

In that case I'm definitely not going to the Wembley game. I am still tempted to go to the final at Old Trafford though.

Luke, from looking yesterday they do still seem to have tickets for the final and the cheapest were about £25.

So for my layman's perspective, what are the best teams in the world right now?

It is New Zealand at 1, South Africa at 2, and then a batch of England/Wales/Ireland/ Scotland/Australia at the same level, followed by France, Argentina, Italy and the Fiji Islands/Samoa/Tonga?

Or is there a more clear delineation between the strengths of the teams?

So for my layman's perspective, what are the best teams in the world right now?

It is New Zealand at 1, South Africa at 2, and then a batch of England/Wales/Ireland/ Scotland/Australia at the same level, followed by France, Argentina, Italy and the Fiji Islands/Samoa/Tonga?

Or is there a more clear delineation between the strengths of the teams?

That's not too bad a description, although you'd probably move France up into the second tier, while they can be very erratic they tend to beat New Zealand more than any of the other Northern Hemisphere teams whereas the likes of Scotland have never beaten the All Blacks in over a century of trying. Usually Australia would be above the various European teams, but they've not been in great form recently.

That's not too bad a description, although you'd probably move France up into the second tier, while they can be very erratic they tend to beat New Zealand more than any of the other Northern Hemisphere teams whereas the likes of Scotland have never beaten the All Blacks in over a century of trying. Usually Australia would be above the various European teams, but they've not been in great form recently.

Really? Interesting.

My impression from the uninformed side lines was always that it was a bit of a Six Nations dominated thing, with New Zealand as the big exception, but clearly that's changed ( or wasn't the case anyway the last 20 years).

Archived