Rugby - Pre Binding Edition

ljkeane

So for my layman's perspective, what are the best teams in the world right now?

It is New Zealand at 1, South Africa at 2, and then a batch of England/Wales/Ireland/ Scotland/Australia at the same level, followed by France, Argentina, Italy and the Fiji Islands/Samoa/Tonga?

Or is there a more clear delineation between the strengths of the teams?

1. New Zealand

2. South Africa

(Daylight)

England/Wales/Australia/France/Ireland

Argentina/Scotland/Italy

Really? Interesting.

My impression from the uninformed side lines was always that it was a bit of a Six Nations dominated thing, with New Zealand as the big exception, but clearly that's changed ( or wasn't the case anyway the last 20 years).

The Tri-nations are very big business, with Argentina rapidly climbing.

New Zealands dominance is especially amazing given the population difference: UK ~60,000,000, NZ ~4,000,000. Also very interesting how Polynesian players have become somewhat of a commodity.

On a different note, anyone else think the Wales kit looks fucking awful?

Also I'll have to hide from all radio, and this thread until I can watch the England Highlights later. Bloody Sky stealing my BBC coverage, first F1 now England Rugby. Grrrrr!

A couple of notes about the way rugby is run in New Zealand, as opposed to England:

- All professional players are contracted directly to the NZRFU, rather than clubs, provinces, or franchises. Any Club vs Country struggle will always end in favour of the national authority.

- You're only eligible to play for the All Blacks if you play in New Zealand. If you sign up with a French or Japanese Club, you're no longer eligible.

A couple of notes about the way rugby is run in New Zealand, as opposed to England:

- All professional players are contracted directly to the NZRFU, rather than clubs, provinces, or franchises. Any Club vs Country struggle will always end in favour of the national authority.

- You're only eligible to play for the All Blacks if you play in New Zealand. If you sign up with a French or Japanese Club, you're no longer eligible.

That second one (it seems to me) is actually amazingly brave. And the first, isn't that how English Cricket do things?

Really? Interesting.

My impression from the uninformed side lines was always that it was a bit of a Six Nations dominated thing, with New Zealand as the big exception, but clearly that's changed ( or wasn't the case anyway the last 20 years).

For almost all of test rugby history the 2 best sides in the world have been the All Blacks and South Africa.

This is a great game to watch. I'm obviously not an expert but I feel the All Blacks had one or two calls in their favour that they shouldn't have had, one of them a really odd penalty that brought them to 10 points.

Great stuff though. This England team seems to perform better than expected. Ireland vs Australia is on in a few hours.

This is a great game to watch. I'm obviously not an expert but I feel the All Blacks had one or two calls in their favour that they shouldn't have had, one of them a really odd penalty that brought them to 10 points.

Great stuff though. This England team seems to perform better than expected. Ireland vs Australia is on in a few hours.

Some calls went the AB's way others went England's way. But the end result is the better team wins on the day, 3 tries to 1. But well played by England, they defended well, and they actually had a bit of penetration in the midfield, though it was pretty much Twelvetrees who made their midfield look good on attack.

I'll take that. Phew. Some significant issues at the breakdown, but it takes character to recoup in the final twenty minutes when so much of the momentum was going the other way.

Anyway, time for bed.

AB's had the better bench, 'twas obvious. England virtually gave it back to the ABs with their lineout going to pieces, 4 lineout steals in the 2nd half was it?

Not a bad game. Honestly I thought we'd get beaten by more than that so in that sense it's not a terrible result but to lose it in that fashion, with two lost lineouts and a charge down kick leading to the New Zealand try, is disappointing.

The long term World Rugby rankings - at least for the top teams, generally probably look like this:

1. New Zealand - 79%

2. South Africa - 65%

3. Australia - 62%

4. England - 58%

5. France - 62%

6. Wales - 51%

7. Ireland - 47%

Then you get the likes of Scotland and Argentina, and then another step down the likes of Italy, Samoa, Fiji etc.

Now with win/loss percentages since 1970 (my arbitrarily chosen date for the "modern rugby era" but if you want all time since 1871 it's pretty similar)...mostly to show the awesome of New Zealand :-D

Archived