How am I going to get to Loncon? And where will I stay?

Fragile Bird

I should point out for any nervous flyers proposing to land at London City that the angle of descent is unusually steep: in the airport's early days it was 7.5 degrees, but it was reduced in the 1990s to 5.5 degrees (standard, as I understand it, is 3 degrees). If this will in any way bother you I suggest you take whatever action necessary to minimise your distress, including going to another airport and/or getting nicely drunk while midair.

I've never had problems with the descent into LCY, and I'm not really a happy flyer. The thing is, though, that sometimes, the pilot only seems to decide at the last possible moment whether to land on the Thames or on the runway...

Con-wise, I'll also be going to Eurocon in Dublin, and I'm looking for some interesting stuff to do in the days between the two. Because it's not worth flying home in between, really.

I should point out for any nervous flyers proposing to land at London City that the angle of descent is unusually steep: in the airport's early days it was 7.5 degrees, but it was reduced in the 1990s to 5.5 degrees (standard, as I understand it, is 3 degrees). If this will in any way bother you I suggest you take whatever action necessary to minimise your distress, including going to another airport and/or getting nicely drunk while midair.
Ooh. I never noticed this. I've only flown in/out of there once though. Perhaps I just wasn't paying enough attention.

For what it is worth, Gatwick is a far smaller and easier to navigate airport than Heathrow. Probably irrelevant in making any decisions about international flights, but it may be of value to someone.

Both airports have fast train connections into London.

• 4 weeks later...

Air Canada Rouge has posted fares next summer's flights from Toronto/Montreal to Edinburgh: about CDN$500 cheaper than going through Heathrow, but that's figuring three people from Winnipeg.

• 2 weeks later...

London is one heck of a fine city to visit. It's also brutally expensive. And for those of us who need to cross an ocean, or two, to get there, the cost of the flight appears somewhat daunting.

I thought we could start a thread about logistics. Post if you see a seat sale. Post if you find some interesting accommodation. Post about stuff happening in London. Would it be better to tack on a few days before the con, or extend the vacation after the con, because of stuff going on in London.

Here's one thought to discuss: we pick one of the hotels and ask if BWBers can all be on the same floor, if requested. This could be handy because there will not be a "con" hotel, parties will be in the convention centre.

I've only seen this now but if you don't stay chez moi I'll be offended for ever and ever.

Hey everybody! I am really thinking about LonCon and I have a couple of questions to ask of you lovely London locals and experienced Eurotravellers. I've never traveled overseas.

I have to plan now because of the airfaire and possible time off of work. I'm going to fly in early and attend Cropredy. That'll house me with free camping and cheap-o showers through Sunday. Here's my initial questions:

1) Can I find a storage locker at the train depot for my giant costume con luggage? I just need the duffel bag for the camping trip.

2) What risk do I have booking air bnb this far in advance for the week between Cropredy (Aug 7-9) and the con? I've found a couple of nice-looking cheap rooms with kitchen access for the week in-between. I was thinking about keeping a place with a kitchen and getting a hotel room to solve food issues and accommodate rapidly changing plans.

3) If I get a hotel room for the con, where should I book my stay between the two weekends so I can see some great stuff in London?

4) I've been told London is really expensive. I live in one of the cheapest US cities for entertainment. Can someone give me a range for a night out on the town? Here, a good meal for two that is followed by a show and extravagant drinking might cost me $300, but I know where to eat and to go.

Anything I forgot?

Thanks.

Air bnb is high quality all over Europe. Just don't fall into the trap of staying in West London because everything over there is expensive.

London is only expensive if you do it badly. Don't book near the Excel as it will be dead expensive. If you stay South East you are golden. If you spend 300 notes on a night out, well, you're my sort of person. I look forward to going large!

London is lovely because you can stay well out and still be somewhere central within half an hour. Just don't get conned into staying somewhere well expensive and you'll be alright :)

1. I'm not sure, of course you can always store your stuff at my house. Might not be that convenient as you will have to get it there, but depending where and when you fly into I might even pick you up from the airport.

2. I've never used or heard of airbnb before.

3. London is a big place, but as long as your staying somewhere on the underground system then you will have no problem getting anywhere else. Google maps will show the locations of all the Tube stations and give you a good guide. as a general rule the closer you are to the center and west end then the more expensive.

4. London is a capital city, so yeah its going to cost more, especially in the touristy area's. But it also caters for all budgets. Good Tickets to a west end show would cost about £60-£80 You can get cheaper seats, and not all shows cost that much (some will cost more) You can get a very nice dinner for £20-30 per person (- drinks) if you check out a few places first remember the price you read includes all Tax. Oh if it says service charge included then Tip has already been added. and the only people you normally tip is in the restaurants (your also not tipping to make up their living wage - they have already been paid this). as for drinks - well that depends on what you drink, where you drink and how much you drink, I guess if you budget it to cost double what it would at your home you should have money left over. If you eat lunch (a lighter meal or sandwiches) inside or just outside a tourist attraction then you will pay a minimum of £10 - £15.

I've never had problems with the descent into LCY, and I'm not really a happy flyer. The thing is, though, that sometimes, the pilot only seems to decide at the last possible moment whether to land on the Thames or on the runway...

Con-wise, I'll also be going to Eurocon in Dublin, and I'm looking for some interesting stuff to do in the days between the two. Because it's not worth flying home in between, really.

I'm doing the same! And I've thought about going to Dublin by train and ferry instead of flying from London to Dublin. Someone Jo told me in Belfast that it's only about 50 Euro all in all one way. :)

Archived