Minor Character's Deaths That Hit You Harder Than You Would Expect

Arthur Dayne's Honor

SPOILERS

Hodor I think will be the saddest death of the series.

Hodor will live! It is known!

Guys That Made Me Sad/Cry But Arent Big Parts:

Maester Aemon was the biggest "minor death" that hurt. I fell utterly in love with him, his story, his influence on Jon and Sam, and...well..he was just awesome. Im glad his passing was old age instead of something terrible, but it didnt not hurt all the same. His determination to reach Dany when learning of her existence was so heartwrenching. "She needs a maester! I must go to her!" :bawl: Imagine if she had gotten him on her team! JUST IMAGINE IT! How awesome that would have been! For both of them...Dany finds a family member whos counsel she would not ignore. Aemon finds his "prince that was promised" at long last. His telling Sam that Sam should succeed him is just.. :crying: MY FEELS!

"Egg, I dreamed i was old!"

omfg...

Maester Luwin. Wow...This is the guy who remained a constant in Bran and Rickon's life even after their parents had left Winterfell. His willingness to accept Theon because his oath was to remain loyal to Winterfell itself. He was strong in his own way, standing up to Theon despite it all. He wanted what was best for Bran and Rickon and Winterfell. :crying:

Jeor Mormont. He was a huge influence on Jon and Sam and the others like Pyp and Grenn. He wanted to keep the Watch as honorable as possible, but also showing pragmatism. Was he the best for the Watch? I dont know, but he was a great guy who did his best and valued his men. D:

Jory Cassel. This guy was a Northerner to the core. Plus he showed great promise and real loyalty to the Starks. He would defend his lord with everything he had. The same is true for his father, Rodrick, which also gave me a massive sad.

Yoren. Especially in the show. <3 He was a grimy dude, no doubt, but he was loyal to the Watch and wanted to do his best to get Arya home. He tried so hard for Arya. :(

Dacey Mormont. She would have been a good suitor for Jon in my opinion. Plus i have a big soft spot for ladies who can kick ass while still being graceful.

Donal Noye. He gave Jon some of the best advice Jon ever received. He was so badass, he kicked a giant's ass. With one arm! The Watch will never be the same again.

Quentyn Martell. I felt really sorry for him. Sure, he wasnt too bright and stealing a dragon was just a dipshit move, but he seemed like he meant well prior to that event. He just wanted to make good on his father's deal.

Oberyn, if he qualifies, though I didn't fully appreciate it at the time. I agree about the dwarf septon, though tbh I was pretty sure his card was marked from the word go. The little guy who accompanied Brienne, too, big time. All 3 dead maesters. He was a dick, and his death didn't bother me, but Chett's childhood was very pathetic, and stuck with me. Small Paul. Kevan Lannister. Yeah, oakheart in death overcame the monotony of his latter life. The giant in the wall. Anyone sent to Qyburn, that shit grosses me out...more horror story than I like. Yoren.

Someone important I'm forgetting.

Maester Luwin's death hit me pretty hard.

Yoren's death mad me sad too. What a waste.

Pate (the novice), I felt bad for him, his life was just so uninteresting, never accomplished anything, his dreams never fulfilled, his death the only remarkable event in his life.

These were horrible for me aswell. Luwin was a great character. Sometimes I imagine travelling through a Raymond E Feist style rift to Westeros and engaging in a discourse with Maester Luwin on mathematics, the history of Westeros and how he got his Valyrian link despite apparently having had no success to speak of with magic (some seem to think that Luwin's death by the Heart Tree served as a sort of blood sacrifice which warded off danger from Bran and Rickon). Yoren's death was a real shame as I knew then that poor Lady Arya would not be seeing her home or family any time soon, but he did die in style. I did really like Yoren and thought his portrayal in the HBO production was very good.

I think Pate was the worst of the lot. I seriously wanted that chapter to end with the alchemist getting the key and Pate riding off into the sunset with Rose. Then I remembered that this is not LOTR and that Pate's name is not Samwise. Guess it was personal--I lost my own "Rose" as a lad, and regretted it dearly.

The deaths of Smalljon, Jory, Ser Rodrik and Dacey were also tragic, given that they all seemed like such good people. Little Beth Cassel's death was also awful I found, given the manner of her death and that clearly she was the proverbial sparkle in Ser Rodrik's eye.

A lot of people are saying Jory or Rodrik. To be honest the fate of all known House Cassel members is quite tragic and moving. What with Jory and his father, Martyn, both dying defending their lord, Ser Rodrik captured and executed while defending Winterfell/Torrhen's Square, and his daughter Beth possibly carried off to the Dreadfort. Hopefully she will survive, but I'd say chances are slim. House Cassel has worse luck than the Starks!

Archived