Pink Letter crackpottery

Light a wight tonight

Sorry that this is a half-formed idea, but here it is, very incomplete:

The pink letter was a coded message from Mance. What I've got so far is that False King is Roose, who has been defeated and is in the custody of the spearwives. The "magic sword" is the original Ice that Mance & Co located in the crypts. And the letter is an invitation to Jon to take over at Winterfell.

If anyone feels like adding I'm interested in your thoughts.

And if you think it's a dumb idea i'm sure you'll be letting me know. :P

It could be from Mance but I still think it's from Stannis. Stannis wanted Jon to abandon the NW to become the lord of Winterfell and would have the most to gain from Jon abandoning, he could also bring the Wildlings south with him, which is another plus one for Stannis.

I think that the Pink letter was written by Ramsay based on misinformation received from Manderly's forces and that Mance is really being held captive. The Manderly's after turning on the Frey's concoct this plan together with Stannis in an attempt to draw out the remaining Bolton forces (or most of them at least) from Winterfell. The Manderly forces upon returning to Winterfell present Stannis's sword to Roose and Ramsay claiming that Stannis has been defeated but "Arya" and Reek have been sent to the Wall to seek refuge. The ploy being that Ramsay is rash enough to gather a force and march on the Wall to get his bride and his Reek back thereby setting himself up for an ambush.

It could be from Mance but I still think it's from Stannis. Stannis wanted Jon to abandon the NW to become the lord of Winterfell and would have the most to gain from Jon abandoning, he could also bring the Wildlings south with him, which is another plus one for Stannis.

The false letter would be WAY out of character for Stannis. Especially worded as it is.

Most likely the letter is from Ramsay based on information he got out of torturing Mance or one of the spearwives.

Since this is crack pot what if it was melisandre who wrote the letter she has the information needed and pretty much everyone else with the info has been guessed at writing it. She might have done it to push Jon into going south to save stannis otherwise he may be defeated and she saw it in her fires.

Most likely the letter is from Ramsay based on information he got out of torturing Mance or one of the spearwives.

The reason people talk when tortured is to make the torture stop. That makes torture especially effective at extracting false confessions but not very effective at extracting previously unknown information unknown. You can make up anything and the torture stops, so there's no reason to reveal the truth.

Plus, if Stannis is dead, then Ramsay has Theon and Jeyne/Arya - or at least he knows they aren't at the wall. I am convinced that Ramsay did not write the letter.

I think that the Pink letter was written by Ramsay based on misinformation received from Manderly's forces and that Mance is really being held captive. The Manderly's after turning on the Frey's concoct this plan together with Stannis in an attempt to draw out the remaining Bolton forces (or most of them at least) from Winterfell. The Manderly forces upon returning to Winterfell present Stannis's sword to Roose and Ramsay claiming that Stannis has been defeated but "Arya" and Reek have been sent to the Wall to seek refuge. The ploy being that Ramsay is rash enough to gather a force and march on the Wall to get his bride and his Reek back thereby setting himself up for an ambush.

I very much like this. I recall there being a hand writing descrepency with the letter, but really don't know. Love the idea, though - some truth mixed with plenty of lies...

The false letter would be WAY out of character for Stannis. Especially worded as it is.

I don't think Stannis wrote it personally but he told someone to write the letter to goad Jon south, I'll admit it's a stretch though.

This is my second favourite theory with regards to the pink letter.

I believe the letter was written by Stannis and the key to know it was him is the mention of Val as the wildling princess:

Your false king is dead bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore.

Your false king's friends are dead. Their heads upon the walls of Winterfell. Come see them, bastard. Your false king lied, and so did you. You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me.

I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell.

I want my bride back. I want the false king's queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want this wildling princess. I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard's heart and eat it.

Why would Ramsay or Mance call Val a Princess when that is something that come from the head of the Lord Stannis, he wants blood of king to burn.

Mance is my guess too. It isn't really Stannis' style. It doesn't seem like Ramsay because it isn't in his signature spikey handwriting and there is no flayed skin included.

I do have a crackpot that it's Roose also. The hypothesis is that he wants to get rid of Jon because even in the NW, he's a possible threat to take back Winterfell. He also wants to get rid of Ramsay because he's harmful to house Bolton and would kill any son Fat Walda bears. Yet, he doesn't want to be a kinslayer and he doesn't want to be seen as antagonizing the NW. So he poses as Ramsay to goad Jon. He figures if they fight, one or both will die.

Great idea. Wish I had thought of it.

I agree that this is probably the likeliest scenario. Ramsay wrote the letter, but is operating on incorrect information. Mance would be my next guess.

As for crackpot, this takes the cake: The letter was written by the northern lords to get Jon off the Wall and to Winterfell where they could crown him.

I don't get any of the pink letter theories. All are hyper stretches.

The pink letter on its own doesn't make sense. It's full of errors. If Stannis was defeated they would have found "Reek" at his camp, for one thing. If Ramsay wrote it he's been misled or is BS-ing.

I think Stannis is playing dead but it's not him who sent the letter. Perhaps it's Mance, trying to get Val and "his" baby back. Maybe he's trying to goad Jon Snow into coming down with the Wildlings - an opportunity for revenge on Snow and he can get further away from the Wall

I believe the letter was written by Stannis and the key to know it was him is the mention of Val as the wildling princess:

Why would Ramsay or Mance call Val a Princess when that is something that come from the head of the Lord Stannis, he wants blood of king to burn.

You really hate stannis huh? If he wanted to burn jon he woupsve done so at the wall.

Since we're rattling the crackpottery, I think the cleverest use of the letter is GRRM's. In one small letter he has posed a puzzle with many possible solutions, intriguing casual readers and stimulating wonderful speculative discussions on the part of real fans. It took Agatha Christie or PD James whole books to set up a mystery and keep reader interest through to nearly the end and still have many possible perpetrators. George did it in one bravura letter!

FWIW, I think Mance wrote it and included some info he got fromTheon and Stannis. Stay tuned till the next book.

Archived