Goodkind 53: We Don't Need No Stinking Magic!

Myshkin

Analysis of the cost to make 300 limited edition books:

I work in the printing industry.

For probably $20,000 he could print, fold, and glue more than a million on high quality stock, trade pb. Add shipping and it's nowhere NEAR $90,000. Even if they were hardback it wouldn't cost him HALF 90 grand.

They would have to be gold-leaf, ragged/deckle edged, hardbacks with foldout maps and pop up monsters, covers embossed, foiled, and UV coating varnished to cost that much.

Haha, talk about quality entertainment :) Spent last few days reading the Goodkind threads and giggling like a maniac.

I fondly recall reading Tairy's books when I was younger. I had no choice, really, because at that time there weren't that many epic fantasy series available on local market, at least around my little village (discounting A. Sapkowski's "Witcher", which is sort of an obligatory first read for any SF&F enthusiast in Poland).

So, credit where credit's due - Goodkind quenched my thirst for magic, dragons, sword fights and all the good stuff that comes with those for a time being. But even with lack of other books and despite my completionist tendencies I still couldn't finish the series.

I kept sweeping growing issues I've had with SOT under "it's just fantasy" carpet, but "Faith Of The Fallen" was a tipping point for me. I gave next two books a try, but after "Naked Empire" I decided that I've had enough, sold my books and never looked back... well, until recently, when I learned that the series is STILL alive and kicking. The readers' collective jaw that is.

Btw. Wicked Woodpecker of West - I have to admit that I find it amusing that, while you appear to be not that fond of moral absolutism and objectivist heroes, you still have an avatar with a hero that is an objectivist and moral absolutist ;)

It's just a fun observation though, I hope you won't take it to heart. Roschah is still a way more interesting character than Richard Sue Rahl, ever was or will be.

Here's what I think happened:

Terry was super jazzed about The First Confessor. He was finally gonna realize his Objectivist dream of cutting out the money-grubbing, Truth-hating leeches of the publishing industry. But when it was finally launched, and the checks started coming in Terry was forced to admit that those "takers" at Tor actually made him a shit ton of money with their professional editors, art departments, and marketing teams. This was a crushing blow to Terry, and he very quickly lost all interest in the project. Now the collectors edition has been fobbed off onto a couple of lackeys, who don't have the power to make crucial decisions, but have a hard time getting Terry to focus on the project. My guess is that when the collectors editions finally do ship they will be sub-par, a collection of compromises made by an author who no longer gives a shit.

This is all just speculation of course.

Oh, I don't know... if I were him, I'd be thoroughly embarrassed to give the text of "TFC" quality such royal treatment; with fancy cover and whatnot. It's like putting a turd inside a Fabergé egg. I'd rather give people their money back and forgot about the whole thing.

But maybe that's just me.

Archived