Bakker - A Discussion of Rectal Miracles

Francis Buck

Re: Cant of Compulsion

You can be compelled to do things you wouldn't ordinarily want to do (otherwise what's the point?), but in so doing, it also convinces you that you did in fact want to do it. So your memory, afterward, is that you chose to comply, rather than that you were compelled. Because of this, personality and behavior afterward is affected, since the compelled-behavior is internalized into the person's notions of self and incorporated into the memory narrative.

You can be compelled to do things you wouldn't ordinarily want to do (otherwise what's the point?), but in so doing, it also convinces you that you did in fact want to do it.

But the latter part is always the case; it’s part of how our brains are wired and has nothing to do with the magic. There are lots and lots of neurophysiological experiments that establish this.

Well, of course. Again with the example of cigarettes. I'm compelled to get them by my addiction, but I'll convince myself that I chose to do so, and say that I chose to do so because I just enjoy them. "I could stop, I choose not to" was my mantra/excuse for many years.

Archived