Robert Stanek and his super secret NSA powers!

prone_to_say_stupid_things

GUYS HE IS A FOREMOST TECHNOLOGY AND INTERNET EXPERT OF THE WHOLE WORLD HE IS PROBABLY WATCHING US POSSIBLY WHILE NAKED

Seriously though, the biggest irony is that he not only accuses his opponents of creating the sockpuppet accounts, he actually accuses them of creating them for the sole purpose of blaming him for them in order to make themselves look better. In other words, that whole "I'll push you down and then tattle on you" thing that he's doing? Yeah, he's also reversing that shit.

Wouldn't it be funny if something like the Aztec god of storytelling (or maybe Loke) one day enabled Stanek to write the best SFF novel ever?

"Seriously you guys, this one is actually good, honest!"

Who did the read through here? Was it Wert? I need to go back and read that shit.

ETA: Shit, it was fucking Larry. Couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Wouldn't it be funny if something like the Aztec god of storytelling (or maybe Loke) one day enabled Stanek to write the best SFF novel ever?

"Seriously you guys, this one is actually good, honest!"

I actually had an idea for a short story* where WWIII and a computer virus destroy virtually all human literature, except for Stanek's stuff. When civilisation rebuilds itself, Stanek is venerated as the Shakespeare of the new era.

*I'm never going to write it. Defamation ain't pretty.

Well, presumably Mr Stanek hopes that these posts will be picked up, that people will talk about them, that people may even link the likes of Rothfuss and Stephen Leigh and the rest to the post, and that the authors named will respond publicly. All of that adds up to a lot of attention for Stanek.

I think Stanek has longed believed that there has been other people responsible for his lack of success as a fiction writer. Back in 2005 on a chat threat on the bizarre Robert Stanek Message Board he wrote:

"...as long as people are reading the books, I'll keep writing. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was extremely disappointed with the shenanigans going on at a time when my books are at their highest popularity ever. As an example, my publisher took out a 4-page spread in the Spring 2005 Buyer's Guide to Children's Books. The publisher listings disappeared from the distribution database where bookstores make their buys. When they were restored, the age listings were changed so the books appeared to be toddler picture books. That kind of stuff doesn't happen by accident. The short of the long answer is my hearts not in writing anymore at this time."

In addition to genuinely feeling persecuted, he is also creating more lies to try to salvage his reputation - maybe in regards to family and friends. He has three children who probably all grew up with his tales that he was a beloved, best selling fantasy author. Now they are googling his name and finding the "Robert Stanek shat directly into my soul" discussion.

I actually had an idea for a short story* where WWIII and a computer virus destroy virtually all human literature, except for Stanek's stuff. When civilisation rebuilds itself, Stanek is venerated as the Shakespeare of the new era.

Is that the whole plot, or would stuff actually happen?

Thanks for the entertainment. My fiction books are primarily written for children and young adults. For the record, the nonsense was about reviews mentioning George's books, as I've blogged about here http://readindies.bl...ompetitors.html.

Where were you stationed at in Mildenhall? I think we were at the same spot. I was a 1N4 though.. what AFSC were you?

I was stationed at Sembach, though TDY to Mildenhall many times. Enjoyed visiting London and Cambridge.

Well, rather than try to ferret you out, i'm going out come out and say it. I call Bullshit. No fucking way this guy is the Stanek.

How did you hear about this corner of the inter webs, Oh glorious Stanek?

Archived