Robert Stanek and his super secret NSA powers!

prone_to_say_stupid_things

As far as New York Public libraries supposedly not having any copies of my work. I do suggest walking into an actual library and having a librarian show you how their current systems work. It might be enlightening.

For the record, I was incorrect stating 92 New York Public libraries have a copy of Complete Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches. I should have said 92 New York Public libraries have at least one copy of Complete Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches because some libraries have multiple copies.

I was also incorrect in stating I have some 600 titles available. That data apparently was years old. My assistant updated and tallied the current title list, finding there are 1087 current William Robert Stanek titles available, inclusive of print and digital and exclusive of out of print titles.

Like I said, you can keep bitching and moaning about perceived slights or imagined things I’ve supposedly done if you want. I would prefer, however, to have real discussions on this forum about authors and books we’ve read and want to discuss (other than my books). If you and I disagree, then you’ll have a real reason—and not an imagined one—for not liking me.

What were your thoughts on The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear? We have some pretty spectacular discussion threads on these two, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No alt, I've been invited to join the forum, so decided to give it a try. This is my first time on a forum except for chats in the Robert Stanek forums some years ago.

Could you identify the forum member who invited you, please?

Fucking board ate my post.

This Stanek is an alt. Why would he join a hostile message board knowing we would call him out and make him look even worse when he doesn't provide any proof?

Here is a list of audiobook bestsellers from June 2006. Stanek doesn't crack this one, which goes to 20. http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2006/06/ljarchives/audiobook-bestsellers/

Also, audible had an RSS feed in 2005 called "This Week’s Best Sellers (Top 50)." It doesn't seem to be active anymore - does anyone know if Google caches these or something? I swear it shouldn't be this hard to disprove this, but without the feed or audible marketing materials from 2005 it is very difficult.

Fucking board ate my post.

This Stanek is an alt. Why would he join a hostile message board knowing we would call him out and make him look even worse when he doesn't provide any proof?

I actually think this is Stanek. He lives in a fantasy world and in that world, he is completely innocent and feels he's unduly crucified for his imagined nefarious acts. Visit his forum sometime, it's hysterical. It's literally him talking to himself through hundreds of puppets. I think the man is borderline batshit. That's why I think he'd think this was a good idea.

I actually think this is Stanek. He lives in a fantasy world and in that world, he is completely innocent and feels he's unduly crucified for his imagined nefarious acts.

I think Mr Stanek knows perfectly what he is doing and that it is not a coincidence if those he says are his persecutors changed from random nobodies, fans of GRRM, to big name authors.

I don't know. Maybe. I still think the guy is a wee bit crazy. Check out his forum (I spent a lazy afternoon perusing it a couple months back). Every poster there hangs from the guy's nuts. On most forums I visit, we acknowledge that so-and-so author may be our favorite but we rarely paint them as infallible. His posters' consensus is that the guy's near godhood. All they talk about is how much they love him. It's all him (they all have the same voice/style). That makes him a bit shy of sane in my book. But that's just my opinion (and probably most professional psychiatrists').

I don't know. Maybe. I still think the guy is a wee bit crazy. Check out his forum (I spent a lazy afternoon perusing it a couple months back). Every poster there hangs from the guy's nuts. On most forums I visit, we acknowledge that so-and-so author may be our favorite but we rarely paint them as infallible. His posters' consensus is that the guy's near godhood. All they talk about is how much they love him. It's all him (they all have the same voice/style). That makes him a bit shy of sane in my book. But that's just my opinion (and probably most professional psychiatrists').

I'm waiting for there to be so many sockpuppets they become self aware.

And if that is really Stanek, dude, WE ALL KNOW. You HAVE to know by now we all know. So if you're not actually insane, then, I dunno.

You've obviously never been to Steven Erikson's forums then.

So I've noticed that many of Mr. Stanek's posts have been copy/paste jobs. On the one hand this is totally a known Stanek M.O., on the other hand it might just be an alt copy/pasting from another source.

As far as New York Public libraries supposedly not having any copies of my work. I do suggest walking into an actual library and having a librarian show you how their current systems work. It might be enlightening.

For the record, I was incorrect stating 92 New York Public libraries have a copy of Complete Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches. I should have said 92 New York Public libraries have at least one copy of Complete Kingdoms and the Elves of the Reaches because some libraries have multiple copies.

I was also incorrect in stating I have some 600 titles available. That data apparently was years old. My assistant updated and tallied the current title list, finding there are 1087 current William Robert Stanek titles available, inclusive of print and digital and exclusive of out of print titles.

http://nypl.bibliocommons.com/search?t=smart&search_category=keyword&q=William+Robert+Stanek&commit=Search&searchOpt=catalogue

You Sir have been red handedly caught in a lie... You have handled this by saying that we should all fly to New York and walk in to the library to physically look for these nonexistent copies of books.

Look, I am sure that we would all be happy to have a discourse with you, but how can you expect anything but animosity because you are obviously trying to deceive us for some unknown reason.

The one question I have for you is this. Are you this dishonest in every aspect of your life, or have you managed to just keep it to your professional endeavors?

You've obviously never been to Steven Erikson's forums then.

Oi!

But no seriously, Erikson's forums are nowhere near as bad as they're sometimes made out on here. Though they do differ from here in that the people posting in the misc/other threads are the same ones as in the main book forums.

Been a member/lurker at malazanempire for years and tons of the members there are critical of his works where it is deserved. When someone makes a thread about how he's the greatest, the OP gets justly roasted. No comparison here.

Oi!

But no seriously, Erikson's forums are nowhere near as bad as they're sometimes made out on here. Though they do differ from here in that the people posting in the misc/other threads are the same ones as in the main book forums.

I'm just having a little fun. I know malazanempire isn't like the fake Stanek forums, or even as bad as the now defunct Goodkind forums, but you have to admit that the Erikson love gets a little ridiculous over there sometimes.

I'm just having a little fun. I know malazanempire isn't like the fake Stanek forums, or even as bad as the now defunct Goodkind forums, but you have to admit that the Erikson love gets a little ridiculous over there sometimes.

Fully agreed. But like any forum, you get fanatics. Seems like about six months ago or so, someone on this very forum started a thread about how Martin was the greatest writer of all time. Of course, every response was ridicule and that's one reason I like this site.

Archived