College football 2013 week 2: OVERCOME ADVERSITY

Kalbear

Finebaum is most certainly a genius. Who else has capitalized on the disfunction of Alabama football like he has? We all see the disfunction, we all recognize it for what it is. Finebaum is the only one who figured out a way to ride that disfunction's coattails into national recognition and big bucks. We (those of us outside of Alabama) recognize its disfunction because he shows it to us, he shows it to us in order to capitalize on it.

edit - and Jerry Springer is one of the most successful American geniuses of all time, for pretty much the exact same reason. Finebaum is doing for southern (specifically Alabama) football what Springer did for the general American public -- figuring a way of making bank on the natural shortcomings of emotional people. Recognize the entertainment value --> provide the microphone --> sit back and collect checks.

Finebaum is most certainly a genius. Who else has capitalized on the disfunction of Alabama football like he has? We all see the disfunction, we all recognize it for what it is. Finebaum is the only one who figured out a way to ride that disfunction's coattails into national recognition and big bucks. We (those of us outside of Alabama) recognize its disfunction because he shows it to us, he shows it to us in order to capitalize on it.

edit - and Jerry Springer is one of the most successful American geniuses of all time, for pretty much the exact same reason. Finebaum is doing for southern (specifically Alabama) football what Springer did for the general American public -- figuring a way of making bank on the natural shortcomings of emotional people. Recognize the entertainment value --> provide the microphone --> sit back and collect checks.

Ok. Are you saying you saw that dysfunction before Finebaum wrote for the Birmingham Post-Herald or ever went on the air in the 80's and 90's? That means you must have grown up in the Birmingham area at that time. And if you did, you'd know that the rivalry wasn't nearly as unhealthy then as it is now. 24 hour news coverage and the Internet have had a lot to do with the rivalry's downward spiral. Paul Finebaum does as well. He shows the worst parts of the two fanbases, the moronic minority, and sets them against one another in order to make money. He used to be a pretty good journalist. Then he sold out and started appealing to the lowest common denominator.

I'm not trying to claim the Bama-Auburn rivalry has forever been as dysfunctional as it is these days, I'm saying it's a total mess right now and Finebaum brilliantly capitalized on it by allowing these freaks unlimited airtime on a radio program. You can call it appealing to the lowest common denominator, and it surely is, but it's also a brilliant way to both make tons of cash and promote yourself into a national job.

A lot of Americans are dummies who love fake drama, a lot of Americans are smart people who want escapes from their normal lives and hope to turn their brains off for a couple hours a day and listen to the ravings of maniacs, a lot of Americans can't fit into any kind of stereotype and listen to this kind of weird shit (as well as watching Springer) for their own reasons, whatever. No matter the reason we like it, we like it. Finebaum saw that, and set up shop in the middle of the madness. Now he's a national personality. Pretty smart move if you ask me.

Not that I know enough to have an opinion in either direction, but I think MIke's point is that he didn't so much set up shop in the middle of the madness as he created the madness - that by feeding the worst stereotypes of either side of the rivalry to one another, he engineered and is responsible for the heightened level of antagonism.

ETA - which, to be fair, doesn't really detract from his credentials as a genius...

Maybe I haven't listened to it as much, I only found it a few years ago, but Paul literally opens up the airwaves and lets the folks do what they're going to do. Sure he gives a prod here and there like any radio host, but that show of his (from what I've heard) is 90% callers and 10% Finebaum at best.

If it was different in the beginning and he created some kind of antagonistic platform gradually, I apologize. As I say, I wasn't listening at the beginning. Either way, he either created the moneymaker or simply took advantage of it.

Not that I know enough to have an opinion in either direction, but I think MIke's point is that he didn't so much set up shop in the middle of the madness as he created the madness - that by feeding the worst stereotypes of either side of the rivalry to one another, he engineered and is responsible for the heightened level of antagonism.

ETA - which, to be fair, doesn't really detract from his credentials as a genius...

This is my point exactly. And I do understand Switchback and Ferrum's position. What he did was very impressive in a Vince McMahon, capitalist piece of shit sort of way, but because he is that sort of piece of shit, I am loathe to give him any credit. Recognizing my bias, I still stand by my position. Manipulating dumbasses into public humiliation for entertainment value falls short of any genius standard in my opinion.

That was kind of funny, Trisk.

Man, nothing good comes of kicking off at 9 AM. I was sure Army +28 would be the right move pregame, but I didn't think they'd look quite this off. Army is very quick, but they've gained considerably more yardage than we should let them.

Is it time for Jerry Kill to maybe step back, take a less-straining job of some sort? That's three on-field seizures in, what, two years now? That shit has to be stressful as hell for the team, and I can't imagine it's particularly healthy for him either.

I may be talking out of my ass, as the stress of gameday may not have anything to do with the seizures - I don't know much about epilepsy. But it's insane that this keeps happening.

ETA: That's it, UCLA!

Yeah, huge momentum shift for UCLA. Two great drives in a row with much more of a running game. And a dime of a TD pass by Hundley there. Doing the bull dance. Feeling the flow.

ETA: Three straight efficient TD drives for the Bruins.

And another TD due to a dumb play on the NB DB getting the roughing penalty.

I swear he was just short on that fake. Let's see it.

ETA: Short!!!!!

Take this to the house now, Bruins.

yep, and they even got a gift spot.

and in the time to type that, they're knocking again.

edit: and didn't wait for the door to be opened, just walked in. 35 unanswered.

Interesting spot - it would be hilarious if Akron could get a result against Michigan, but we have to play Notre Dame later this year, and I want their Strength of Schedule to be high. Conflicted.

I'm also checking out Tennessee v. Oregon. Next week I'll be in Gainesville to watch the UF v. Volunteers game. We stink so bad. Ugh. Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what Tenn is all about. Doubt they'll be holding back anything when playing Oregon.

Can't both Alabama and A&M lose. Ugh.

And UCLA recovers a fumble to keep Nebraska from getting back in it. Night, night, Huskers.

yeah, if the 35 straight wasn't a back breaker, being inside the 10 and coughing it up was.

What else is on? OK, UK-UL.

Archived