House Stark of Harrenhal (long, but with TLDR summary)

Mladen

Your choices as a matchmaker fascinate me. What was it about Pod that whispered in your ear that he'd be good for Sanse? Oh, if Tyrion and her ever meet again for an awkward hello Pod may be there, having been re-aquired by Tyrion now that the halfman's future is bright as part of the new-coup society? So then after Tyrion leaves the room in a huff Pod would be there to say something soothing to Sansa who would notice what a nice young man Pod was in contrast to his blustering liege, and what a nice bulge he has.

Pod does have a crush on Sansa as she noticed he turns "the most alarming shade of red" and becomes nervous in her presence. Besides, Pod has shown to be truly loyal to anyone he follows as was the case with Tyrion, saving his life in the BoBW, and following Brienne to find Tyrion.

I think Pod would be loyal to Sansa, and he would genuinely love her. I think that is what Sansa wants, to be loved and not her seat or claim. Besides, I think like Sansa, Pod is entitled to some happiness.

• 1 month later...

I'm not so sure about the inevitability of LF's downfall or Sansa's ability to claim that inheritance. Alayne can't inherit, Sansa's wanted by KL (LF's overlord) and has no blood relationship to LF, nor any business collaborating with KL.Neither does KL have any business releasing the castle to her.

Additionally, Lady Whent may be still be around, bannerwoman of Sansa's own uncle. Usurping her would be a no-no, just like usurping any land from the Stark Kingdom of the Trident or from the Tully Lordship of Riverrun.

Ain't gonna happen.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not so sure about the inevitability of LF's downfall or Sansa's ability to claim that inheritance. Alayne can't inherit, Sansa's wanted by KL (LF's overlord) and has no blood relationship to LF, nor any business collaborating with KL.Neither does KL have any business releasing the castle to her.

Additionally, Lady Whent may be still be around, bannerwoman of Sansa's own uncle. Usurping her would be a no-no, just like usurping any land from the Stark Kingdom of the Trident or from the Tully Lordship of Riverrun.

Ain't gonna happen.

Well, the downfall of LF, IMO, is foreshadowed by Ghost of High Heart. I do believe that some things are going to change in the future and that current situation won't last. Especially with arrival of Aegon and Daenerys and Others' invasion.

As for Lady Whent, isn't she dead? I remember Baelish saying something to Sansa.

• 3 weeks later...

Good theory. I don't have too much to add, but would like to advance my own somewhat crack pot theory about this...

I have a theory about the blood in the walls of Harrenhal.

Harren went to the Isle of Faces and made a weirwood tree blood sacrifice for a protection spell. He used some of the blood spilled, perhaps from multiple victims to mix in the mortar, the intent being to secure the castle and keep out threats.

What Harren didn't count on was that the Green Men and/or CotF were not happy with him because he cut down so many weirwood trees and was a worshipper of the Drowned God, not the Old Gods. They inverted the protection spell so that the magic blood actually made Harrenhal a threat from within.

Now I'll tie it into the OP. Sansa is a Stark and of the north, therefore she has the seal of approval from the Old Gods. When Sansa moves in, the Green Men, CotF or maybe even Bran will do something, perhaps another sacrifice to reverse the curse and give Harrenhal the originally intended magic protection similar to that found at the Wall.

Edited for spelling and grammar

An interesting idea

I am curious about the interaction between the Isle of Faces and Harrenhall. As for the Starks, having one of their own "on the inside" insofar as the Old Gods are concerned is incredibly powerful

I had never associated Sansa with harrenhall before this. I think the whole "Direwolf with bat wings" symbolism makes me open minded

Plus I think there is a deeper symbolism in Lady dying, eg it is a symbolic loosening of her ties to the North

I had never associated Sansa with harrenhall before this. I think the whole "Direwolf with bat wings" symbolism makes me open minded

Plus I think there is a deeper symbolism in Lady dying, eg it is a symbolic loosening of her ties to the North

I have spent quite substantial time analyzing use of animal motifs in ASOIAF. The entire scene with dead direwolf is just the introduction to the vast symbolism that transpires throughout all the novels and is one of the most used methods of metaphorical language. That is why the "direwolf with bad wings" image is very easy to notice. Adding to that other snippets, we get rather decent crackpot :)

As for Lady and your interpretation, well, I believe it's wrong. Sansa is still a warg, her connection to the North is still very powerful as we have seen in snow castle scene and the narrative speaks about quite few connections from "wall of courtesy" Tyrion literally compared to the Wall, "not a kneeler" at her wedding, Bael the bard/Baelish parallels, Lyanna parallels, her personality that is quite close to Ned's and argument can be made that out of all Ned's children, she is the closest to what he was like psychologically, there is too much to just say that Sansa is no longer Northerner

• 2 months later...

An interesting idea

I am curious about the interaction between the Isle of Faces and Harrenhall. As for the Starks, having one of their own "on the inside" insofar as the Old Gods are concerned is incredibly powerful

Lady being killed for her sister's misdeeds would fit well with Nymeria prowling the Riverlands and Harrenhal with Arya Stark's "death" in Braavos. Arya herself has already shed blood in the defense of Harrenhall during her escape. So it would fit nicely and give a deeper meaning to arya's "I'm not a lady" comments should Sansa at some point actually end up the Virgin Queen of Harrenhal with her sister's direwolf leading the pack that prowls her lands. With her brother likely deeply connected to the Isle of Faces she'd actually stay symbolically connected with the family she had before carving her own path.

Mix in some unCat, give or take what happens with Jon and the Others, as well as Rickon and the Northmen, and the Riverlands could be seeing a very different stark family reunion than expected.

Archived