TV show foreshadowing about Jon in view of recent ADwD developments

Nucky Thompson

On a reread of the Game of Thrones TV show's season 1, I noticed a peculiar expression made by Lord Commander Jeor Mormont. When Jon is about to attempt to flee in order to aid Robb in his war for avenging their beheaded father, Mormont asks him: "Are you gonna bring him back to life?".

With the recent developments regarding Jon at the end of ADwD and the showwriters' apparent knowledge of the things to come (since GRRM told them), could this actually be of significance further down the storyline? We have other examples of the show where there is foreshadowing or tongue-in-cheek remarks about future events in the series: i.e. Melisandre warning Arya that they shall meet again, although the whereabouts of their meeting are still to be described in the books. (I had one more such example in mind, but I seem to have forgotten it while posting the topic.)

Nevertheless, there have been theories on the forums about the Jon cliffhanger ending in an UnJon leading the Others' invasion southward. In doing so, he could come across the party carrying Ned's bones to Winterfell and raise him as a wight thus fulfilling Mormont's implied speculation.

Nevertheless, there have been theories on the forums about the Jon cliffhanger ending in an UnJon leading the Others' invasion southward.
Even after death, Jon is a turncloak and an oathbreaker? :eek:

In doing so, he could come across the party carrying Ned's bones to Winterfell and raise him as a wight thus fulfilling Mormont's implied speculation.
Can bones without a head still rise as a wight? :blink:

Actually that is interesting. We have a story about a Tyrell who wore the armor of a dead king Renly and during the Blackwater battle, men were frightened and ran thinking they were seeing Renly's ghost fighting.

It would not surprise me if somehow in the future Jon were to have something of Rob's on himself that might cause an enemy in battle to assume Robb's ghost had returned. Martin does this sort of thing.

In Essos we have a dead king strapped to a horse wearing armor of an earler dead king. In this example the dead king riding did not win the battle for the Astapor city, however that is twice that armor has been used to make fighting men think a dead man is alive. Once in the south, once in Essos, why not once in the north in a future battle?

I really don't see the OP coming to pass for a number of reasons.

There are problems with bringing Ned Stark back; GRRM says he killed him off in the first place because the story is about the Stark kids and having set the scene his part was done and the kids needed to move out from his shadow. Bringing him back would only complicate matters and serve no useful purpose especially as the story has moved on.

Secondly, as pointed out above, all that remains are the bones. There are no instances in the story of resurrections involving restorations. All of the walking corpses are in sold as seen condition. A pile of bones won't work.

A glamour using one or more of those bones might be feasible, but again to what purpose.

As to Jon - GRRM has made it pretty clear on a couple of occasions he aint dead, although that doesn't preclude him realising that he belongs to the Old Gods and Ice in the battle against Fire.

snip

As to Jon - GRRM has made it pretty clear on a couple of occasions he aint dead, although that doesn't preclude him realising that he belongs to the Old Gods and Ice in the battle against Fire.

Apologies for being a pain again but I have a different understanding of pretty clear.

Okay, usually I don't put much stock in foreshaddowing in the TV show to have an effect on the books, but there are two passages that come to mind from Jon's chapters in GoT:

"In the dream, the corpse he fought had blue eyes, black hands, and his father's face"

"...and this time the burning corpse wore Lord Eddard's features. It was his father's skin that burst and blackened, his father's eyes that ran liquid down his cheek like jellied tears. Jon did not understand why that should be or what it could mean, but it frightened him more than he could say."

There's also the possibility that he would be resurrected by Melisandre, who would then proceed to do the Rattleshirt treatment to Ned's bones in order to further her own agenda. Maybe her copy of Ned will encounter the wight-copy of Ned as created by Jon and they will engage in battle? The part about only bones remaining crossed my mind as I was typing in the topic but there is still a chance that it might somehow happen to be true, especially with the quotes above.

The only times in the show I felt D&D were truly foreshadowing future book events is:

1. In Dany's HOTU sequence she gets to the iron throne finally... War has come to KL (others?)

She encounters the wall, and finds her husband and baby alive there... Will Dany find love and a child at the wall (Jon)?

2. Melisandre's green eyes blue eyes whatever she says to Arya. It seems they picked these colors intentionally and must be telling us something (I hate that mel met the BWB and they gave up Gendry for gold wtf).

Archived