Of Corsets and Tiaras - LonCon 3

Fragile Bird

Anyone planning on Dressing up for the 1939 Retro Hugo's and party? on the Thursday night

Our imagining of what the 1939 Hugo Awards would have been like – complete with retro-futuristic clothing, swing music, and 1939 formal wear – will be a gala night to remember.

We also encourage you to participate personally by wearing your own retro-futuristic costumes (what might you have predicted the future would be wearing if you had been at Nycon I?) or true retro 1939 formal wear – and then join us after the ceremony for the first dance of Loncon 3, celebrating the music of 1939 and swing dancing!

Don't forget you can also nomimate (and later vote) on works published in 1938 for the Retro Hugo's but since this is a thread about dressing up I though I'd talk about that part here.

I do have a ball gown (although its styled for a slightly older period it should still be suitable) If I'm not going to be alone then I'd wear that.

Dressing up in fun 30s clothes and swing dancing both sound like a ton of fun! Of course, I don't own an appropriate dress and haven't done any swing dancing in over a decade. But, assuming that it doesn't conflict with any BWB events, I could maybe be convinced to give it a try if we got a group together. Keep in mind I am a horrible klutz and my dancing is not good. You have all been warned, lol.

Flip, yeah, that will make an impression in London...you'll be up there right next to Harry :P

Totally coincidentally, I bought a slightly 1930-ish dress 2 days ago, while getting some things to improvise my Steampunk outfit for this weekend.

I haven't danced at anything else than metal concerts for the last 15 years or so though. And about 3 discos in my life.

Alytha -- you, me, MinDonner and MuthaHydra can form the circle pit. It'll rule.

I already have a 1940s-ish outfit (close enough I reckon), though I can't promise the beret will stay on while moshing... \m/

Archived