Small questions v.10014

Angalin

I'm sure Aemon mentions King's blood on one occasion. Anyone know where???

Quote from ADwD, Jon I

Jon had tried to dismiss them as his fever talking. Aemon had demurred. “There is power in a king’s blood,” the old maester had warned, “and better men than Stannis have done worse things than this.

I'm sure Aemon mentions King's blood on one occasion. Anyone know where???

I don't have the page number but my kindle lists it as location 962, it's the first Jon chapter in DwD when Maester Aemon is cleaning his wounds. King's men are talking about killing Mance and his son for their King's Blood:

"There is power in Kingsblood," the old Maester had warned, "And better men than Stannis has done worse than this."

You're up to something with these questions...but I don't know what yet...

I forgot that knighthood means you're anointed with oils from the 7, thanks.1

For further clarification, is it a given that most of the Southron lords are knights before becoming lords2? I know Lords Tywin, Randyll, and King Stannis were all great generals, so should I assume they were knights as well?

1. Not always, both Thoros and Jorah Mormont were knighted for being the firsts to breach a wall during the Greyjoy Rebellion. There is no mention of either of them following the 7.

2. No it isn't a given. While many young nobles do become a knights, it is not required. Becoming Lord only requires that whom you are heir too, has died. Many think that Robert was never knighted, as he inherited the title Lord, before becoming of age.

1. Not always, both Thoros and Jorah Mormont were knighted for being the firsts to breach a wall during the Greyjoy Rebellion. There is no mention of either of them following the 7.

2. No it isn't a given. While many young nobles do become a knights, it is not required. Becoming Lord only requires that whom you are heir too, has died. Many think that Robert was never knighted, as he inherited the title Lord, before becoming of age.

Thoros obviously doesn't, but I thought that both Jorah and Jeor, his father, follow the Seven.

But was Thoros a knight? I thought that he was just a "warrior priest". At any rate, what really got me pondering this was a comment Ser Kevan made after Lord Tywin's death. He suggested taking Tommen back to the Rock so the boy could be his squire. Aside from the broader purpose of getting Tommen away from his mother, I also got the implication that being a squire would lead to Ser Kevan dubbing the little guy.

ETA: thanks for your answers, mi'lord.

But was Thoros a knight? I thought that he was just a "warrior priest". At any rate, what really got me pondering this was a comment Ser Kevan made after Lord Tywin's death. He suggested taking Tommen back to the Rock so the boy could be his squire. Aside from the broader purpose of getting Tommen away from his mother, I also got the implication that being a squire would lead to Ser Kevan dubbing the little guy.

ETA: thanks for your answers, mi'lord.

I think being a squire would have been beneficial to Tommen, who, lets be honest here, isn't exactly regal or kingly. Largely the work of Cersei of course, but he would still have benefitted from some weapons training and humbling via the duties of a squire.

My own question: How do we eat up these threads so quickly?! o.O

I think being a squire would have been beneficial to Tommen, who, lets be honest here, isn't exactly regal or kingly. Largely the work of Cersei of course, but he would still have benefitted from some weapons training and humbling via the duties of a squire.

There are a lot of questions and fans keep on coming on this forum...

There is definitely a point regarding Edmure's child (and any Robb child)

By the time we reach the end of DwD the children MUST be born - probably

Arya took at least 6 weeks to get to Braavos and one assumes spent at least 4-5 months as Cat of the canal. Another 3 months at least as Blind Beth and another as the ugly girl, there can be little doubt that any babies conceived before the Red Wedding are well and truly born.

Mind you Sam met Arya as Cat of the Canals and he has only JUST reached Old Town, so maybe the Blind Beth period was just a month or so.

If this were the case then when the next book starts then any babies are still not borne - one month or so to go.

Remember that Sansa is still not fourteen in Fiest so the time line is NOT long ie less than three years from Book one.

Arya was around about 10 in SoS (at the Red Wedding). Robb was just 16 so about a year and a half has passed since Bran 1.

All this seems to suggest that at the opening of WoW about 2.5 years have passed. There are MNT children in the story and ages are important.

We have:

Jon 17 perhaps

Sansa just 14

Arya just 11/12

Bran 10

Rickon 7

Tommen 10

Mycella 11

Sam 18

Gilly and Dalla's babies about 1

Edrik Dayne - he was 12 when we met him, about a year in to the story so he is about 13/14

Podrick Pyne - he was 10 about 6 months into the story so I guess he is 12/13 now

Shireen -perhaps 13

Gendry was 14 or so I think at the beginning so he may be 16/17. He will be a very BIG boy by now- like his dad. "Muscled like a maiden's prayer"

You must remember that the timing of different storylines differs slightly from each other.

Starting from Red Wedding until the end of ADwD, the storyline of the North and Essos has proceeded some 6,5 - 7 months, and the one of King's Landing and Riverlands somewhat a month less.

That is if we trust on this timeline, which seems quite convincing and must have required quite a lot of research:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?pli=1&key=0Aj_uNZmcJaTddG9BVU5tRnJJTE5KcE5JRkFha1ZfNUE&type=view&gid=8&f=true&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&page=2&rowsperpage=250&pli=1

I've noticed that quite a many readers tend to think the story proceeds at much faster speed than it actually does. If it's due to the expected "five year gap", I don't know. You should forget that, cause it's likely that the whole story is going to take less than five years.

Mostly by getting new members, who ask about 80% of question that have already been answered 100x before, and not reading any of the older threads, or even the thread that they ask the question on. I have seen the same question 3x on one thread.

Starting from Red Wedding until the end of ADwD, the storyline of the North and Essos has proceeded some 6,5 - 7 months, and the one of King's Landing and Riverlands somewhat a month less.

That is if we trust on this timeline, which seems quite convincing and must have required quite a lot of research:

https://docs.google....rpage=250&pli=1

Not only do I not trust it, having not read any of it in more then a year, can tell you I see at least 3 mistakes just glancing over it. The biggest being it has Arya (Ugly little girl)last chapter a month before Jon's last few. Jon 7(not 8 his last) Jon is told that Wildlings are being picked up by slavers, but well before that The Blind Girl tells of the Slaver's ship w/ Wildlings on it is in Braavos. That would mean the Blind Girl happens at least a month after Jon 7.

Not only do I not trust it, having not read any of it in more then a year, can tell you I see at least 3 mistakes just glancing over it. The biggest being it has Arya (Ugly little girl)last chapter a month before Jon's last few. Jon 7(not 8 his last) Jon is told that Wildlings are being picked up by slavers, but well before that The Blind Girl tells of the Slaver's ship w/ Wildlings on it is in Braavos. That would mean the Blind Girl happens at least a month after Jon 7.

However no one ever points out a better one. Whenever someone asks for a good timeline, that's what they want, a timeline.

Not sure if this is the best forum to ask, but when Illyrio gives Dany the Dragon eggs, do they count as "guest gifts" in addition to wedding gifts?

The wedding was happening outside Pentos, in Drogo's Manse. So I think not.

But Guest Right isn't exactly practiced in Essos the way it was in Westeros. Considering that's where all the best poisons come from I think it's safe to say you fend for yourself in most places. ie Belwas

But Guest Right isn't exactly practiced in Essos the way it was in Westeros. Considering that's where all the best poisons come from I think it's safe to say you fend for yourself in most places. ie Belwas

Yes, that makes more sense. Everyone should bring their liver and onions themselves. :lol:

During Jamie sorting out the Bracken/Blackwood siege in ADWD, Pennytree is mentioned as a royal fife. Do we think this is because Duncan later finds his way there and Aegon V gifts it to him in some way? Or was there always something more interesting about the town, maybe related to Bloodraven (if it was once a Blackwood holding, like most of that area)?

Is this a small question?

Archived