Robert Stanek novels

MisterOJ

Apparently Stanek does actually have one genuine fan, who happens to live in Bulgaria. Hence him winning Bulgarian sci-fi awards.

True, except the the award he won was a fantasy one, given by a fan club whose members were a bunch of kids and Stanek's "Number One and Only" fan was the chairman .

This guy had some contacts at a local publisher and convinced them to publish one of Stanek's books. Of course it was a total failure, nobody bought it and the plan to publish the whole series it belonged to were scrapped.

True, except the the award he won was a fantasy one, given by a fan club whose members were a bunch of kids and Stanek's "Number One and Only" fan was the chairman .

This guy had some contacts at a local publisher and convinced them to publish one of Stanek's books. Of course it was a total failure, nobody bought it and the plan to publish the whole series it belonged to were scrapped.

What? How dare you spread this miserable propaganda!!?!

http://robert-stanek...city-nerve.html

There's not a lot of folks that know how to speak Indonesian, I don't think.

When I was in college, there was courses for French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, German, Latin and several others. Don't remember a course in Indonesian ever being offered. If I could learn that from one of Stanek's novels, I reckon I would be the coolest cat in my subdivision.

I really need to know how to procure the Indonesian version of this book. I mean, I can't just order it off Barnes and Noble. All their books are in English.

Help me board!

If you take this quote in context, you'll see he's referring to either the U.S. or the U.K. not suggesting that people from Indonesia don't speak their native language.

If you take this quote in context, you'll see he's referring to either the U.S. or the U.K. not suggesting that people from Indonesia don't speak their native language.

Right. I was referring to non-native speakers. Of which, I imagine there are relatively few.

Has anyone read the book, In the Service of Dragons? It's one of my favorite books from the groundbreaking RUIN MIST series. Step into RUIN MIST. Indulge and slip away into a world unlike any other... RUIN MIST.

Watch the new trailer for Stanek's brilliant... RUIN MIST:

Apparently Stanek does actually have one genuine fan, who happens to live in Bulgaria. Hence him winning Bulgarian sci-fi awards.

Hahaha. There are lots of Stanek fans. We are legion.

Has anyone read the book, In the Service of Dragons? It's one of my favorite books from the groundbreaking RUIN MIST series. Step into RUIN MIST. Indulge and slip away into a world unlike any other... RUIN MIST.

Watch the new trailer for Stanek's brilliant... RUIN MIST:

Hahaha. There are lots of Stanek fans. We are legion.

Sounds like fantasy "50 shades of grey". But he writes mainly for children so perhaps not?

This thread is becoming so negative again. I thought we were here to celebrate the genius of Robert S?

I think people should at least try to read his books before continuing to mock him. How many people here have actually read something by him besides this guy and that guy? And the book isn't nearly as bad as they make it out to be. I read it about 6 years and can't remember much about it besides being underwhelmed and puzzled about how I apparently got a self-published book that had over 300 rave reviews on Amazon. It was the unattributed quotes on the back cover that proclaimed Stanek as America's Tolkien and the later internet searches that brought up the Ansible affair that I found more interesting. After some more research I became certain that no other author had more fake reviews on Amazon than Robert Stanek.

But besides that, there may actually be something redeemable in Stanek's writing. Maybe some interesting idea, that with the proper guidance from a proper editor, could be turned into a good story. Maybe his tech writing is really good and I should check out his latest windows book (although I still use XP).

I'll be willing to re-read Keeper Martin if other people give him a chance and perhaps even complete the series.

I think people should at least try to read his books before continuing to mock him. How many people here have actually read something by him besides this guy and that guy? And the book isn't nearly as bad as they make it out to be. I read it about 6 years and can't remember much about it besides being underwhelmed and puzzled about how I apparently got a self-published book that had over 300 rave reviews on Amazon. It was the unattributed quotes on the back cover that proclaimed Stanek as America's Tolkien and the later internet searches that brought up the Ansibleaffair that I found more interesting. After some more research I became certain that no other author had more fake reviews on Amazon than Robert Stanek.

But besides that, there may actually be something redeemable in Stanek's writing. Maybe some interesting idea, that with the proper guidance from a proper editor, could be turned into a good story. Maybe his tech writing is really good and I should check out his latest windows book (although I still use XP).

I'll be willing to re-read Keeper Martin if other people give him a chance and perhaps even complete the series.

*Looks at chosen user name and nods.

Actually, yes. I read a chapter of In the Service of Dragons (digital library has it) and it is every bit as awful as we mock it for being. If he'd just written a shitty book and been done with it, no one would have a problem but all his book description start with FROM THE #1 BESTSELLING, AWARD WINNING AUTHOR............and so he's a scumbag who deserves every bit of ridicule we can heap upon him.

Actually, yes. I read a chapter of In the Service of Dragons (digital library has it) and it is every bit as awful as we mock it for being. If he'd just written a shitty book and been done with it, no one would have a problem but all his book description start with FROM THE #1 BESTSELLING, AWARD WINNING AUTHOR............and so he's a scumbag who deserves every bit of ridicule we can heap upon him.

In the Service of Dragons is the 5th book in the series. It wouldn't make much sense if you started there (it would be like trying to read Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series at a Feast of Crows,skipping the first three books).

And maybe he is a best-selling non-fiction author for his computer books that he writes under his real name William R. Stanek.

Archived