Was Rhaegar feminine?

Nami

This is the closest to how I picture Rhaegar

https://fbcdn-sphoto...004547117_n.jpg

Does anyone know who the actor this picture is based off of is? I'd like to stalk him please.

no, rhaegar was the man

Please go do this... :bang:

Hmm.. Is Sephiroth feminine? Cuz that's what Rhaegar looks like in my mind. 'No' is the answer I think.

Yeah, I would say Sephiroth was very androgynous. If we are discussing looks, Rhaegar sounds pretty androgynous to me. Fine, delicate features? Check. Long flowing locks? Check. Soft, sad purple eyes? Check. He is kind of the antithesis to the uber masculine, bearded, and muscular Robert Baratheon.

If being feminine, means that a man doesn't go around pounding his chest like "Kong" and only fighting when it truly matters; while also being kind, open, intelligent and by all accounts a decent person. Then yes, he is feminine to some; as would be any other man who does the same. Personally, I would just call it being a real man and a decent human being. See Ned, Davos and a several other male characters in this series.

Now, I know every one is probably annoyed by this by now. But, considering it is the only purpose of my existence I will go on with it anyway. The masculinity by which a "real man" is defined is nothing more than a social construction. Real men in the 17th century wore heels, eye make-up, and had funny wigs....

Rhaegar is an honorable and noble person (debatably, we can argue that another time), but that doesn't have any bearing on his masculinity because women can also be honorable and noble. He is also a severe introvert who seems to, at times, despise the confines placed upon him by society. That doesn't sound like someone who would really give much of a shit if they are fitting into their prescribed gender roles. Rhaegar, to me, seems like someone who doesn't really place much thought into whether or not he is sufficiently "masculine," which may make him feminine by default. Such ephemeral concerns have no real value to him. He is concerned with prophecy and potentially his own delusions of grandeur. So, being masculine isn't a priority to him because it is a trite thing associated with a common culture he believes himself to be above.

In short to answer your question, Rhaegar seems pretty androgynous in behavior and appearance.

I don't think Rhaegar acted feminine but I always pictured him with feminine features. Kind of like Japanese anime or cartoons where the men have very feminine faces.

I don't see Rhaegar acting feminine either. So he reads and plays music. The musicians in ASOIAF get more ass then anyone else. Rhaegar was the ultimate playboy and soldier who happened to also be an intellect. The man stood toe to toe with ole King Bob. Girly men don't do that.

Do remember this is a medieval setting where burly men like Robert tend towards the norm. Anyone who shaved was probably labeled as a pretty boy automatically (Loras and Jaime being other notable examples). I doubt Ray-Man was an androgynous Sephiroth/Cloud lookalike, since he was also a pretty good warrior and you need muscle for that in this setting (remember he wounded Robert himself on the Trident, no mean feat). I picture him as more of a classically handsome guy, a Jaime or Renly with the long white hair and purple eyes to make the ladies fawn as a bonus.

His behavior was certainly more ''feminine'' than most, especially considering, again, the setting. He certainly was no Robert Baratheon or Randyll Tarly. But playing the harp doesn't make one an emo, albeit it does dock points on one's manliness rating if you ask me. Sorry, I can't help it.

Do remember this is a medieval setting where burly men like Robert tend towards the norm. Anyone who shaved was probably labeled as a pretty boy automatically (Loras and Jaime being other notable examples). I doubt Ray-Man was an androgynous Sephiroth/Cloud lookalike, since he was also a pretty good warrior and you need muscle for that in this setting (remember he wounded Robert himself on the Trident, no mean feat). I picture him as more of a classically handsome guy, a Jaime or Renly with the long white hair and purple eyes to make the ladies fawn as a bonus.

His behavior was certainly more ''feminine'' than most, especially considering, again, the setting. He certainly was no Robert Baratheon or Randyll Tarly. But playing the harp doesn't make one an emo, albeit it does dock points on one's manliness rating if you ask me. Sorry, I can't help it.

Hey, Robert was clean shaven in his youth.

I believe it's in AFfC where Jaimie describes the Mad King towards the end. Jaime said no blade was admitted to his presence so the Mad King had finger nails nine inches long and hair that fell to his waist. Basically a dirty Targish Howard Hughes.

Yes, that's what I said in my own post. But other than Aerys, why are all the Targaryens portrayed with long hair?

Does anyone know who the actor this picture is based off of is? I'd like to stalk him please.

He's called Alex Pettyfer according to this: http://denkata5698.d...n-WIP-320287619

In short to answer your question, Rhaegar seems pretty androgynous in behavior and appearance.

I agree with this and pretty much everything you said except for the part that he was honourable.

What I find interesting is that all Targaryen men have long hair in fan portraits. We know that Aerys had long hair, but I don't think it was ever mentioned that the other Targaryens had long hair. Is it simply assumed that it was common for all men to have long hair in Westeros (all the Starks have long hair too)?

Well Vis and Rhaegar did, because they're described this way. Aerys had long hair because he didn't want blades near him post-duskendale. Men seem to have a semi-long style, Aegon I had short hair, Maegor had very short hair. Other Targ kings had short hair, just go back through the GRRM commissioned pictures. But generally they have a decent amount, but on occasion men are described as having hair as long as a girls (Sweet Robin comes to mind) implying men have it cut shorter than most women.

GRRM seems to have decided short hair is too modern, and avoided the alternative (most medieval portraits have bowl cuts.) So long it was.

Archived