Better Call Saul -- Breaking Bad spin-off confirmed

Francis Buck

I think spin-off has just become such a dirty word that people are automatically turned off by it, but in this case there are definitely stories to be told. He doesn't actually get that much screen time in Breaking Bad and we know hardly anything about his history or what he gets up to when he's not helping Jesse and Walt. So in response to a comment at the start of the thread, no, it wouldn't be anything like a Littlefinger spin off, as he is central to ASOIAF and we are already fairly well acquainted with his story, whereas what we don't know is likely to be revealed at some point in the series. I don't think this is actually going to be that much like Breaking Bad though, and hopefully the emphasis will be much more on comedy and much less on drama - like someone above me said I am envisioning an episodic series with stories being set up and resolved within 30-40m.

I fucking love Breaking Bad, and I love Saul Goodman - this gon be guuuuuuud

To be fair, you might have a point. Have we had a programme showing a politely brought up child grow up in a violently racist environment before? To that extent?

Might well be interesting tele.

I'm really turned off by this being a prequel. Other than his criminal connections, what is there about Saul's past that screams 'possibilities?' Honestly, what he would do after BB has me far more interested. Maybe he goes to Bolivia. No, not the Bolivia of the 'shallow, dirt hole' variety but actual, real Bolivia.

Prequel Saul just seems like it would be treading water until the inevitable meeting with Jesse and Walt.

I think you mean Belize.

• 1 year later...

That looks pretty great. I never got totally in to Breaking Bad, I stopped watching after the second season and then just watched the final three or four episodes when everyone was talking about them. I thought those episodes were great, but even afterwards when I tried going back to season three to see everything I missed; it just wasn't working for me. However, I really liked the character of Saul and Bob Odenkirk is always awesome, so I'll definitely give this a shot.

Of course, I don't have AMC, so I'll be watching it whenever it shows up on Netflix.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived