How were the Targaryen Dragons the only ones to survive The Doom?

Heir to His House

When Valyria collapsed into a smoking rubble of destruction, the narrative tells of the world's greatest city, destroyed in a day. Anecdotally, we hear about the Isle of Cedars being hit by a tidal wave, the smoking sea rushing in, et cetera. The entire Valyrian peninsula was laid to absolute waste.

We also know that the Targaryen dragons are the only ones to survive out on remote Dragonstone.

But there were 39 other families in Valyria who were dragon lords, many of whom were greater in power than the Targaryens! It doesn't seem a stretch to consider that the most powerful held dozens of dragons in their time, no?

Yet when Valyria was destroyed, we are supposed to believe that every single non-Targ dragon was in the Valyrian mainland, despite the fact that their empire sprawled west and north throughout what would eventually become the Free Cities?

This makes no sense, as the way such far-flung cities were ruled was through dragons. Otherwise, such a massive empire would never have held together, as is clearly seen in the disintegration of any major empire in Essos after The Doom.

Furthermore, we KNOW there were no other dragons, because Aegon the Conqueror joined war with Tyrosh & Myr against Volantis when Volantis was trying to rebuild the Valyrian empire with themselves at the center. Aegon's dragon was the difference as both sides appealed to him to join them.

So why were all the dragons back in Valyria? Were the Valyrians having some sort of gathering of the dragons, which seems very suspicious?

If every non-Targaryen dragon was back in Valyria when The Doom hit, did someone set up the situation and took advantage of it (the Faceless Men theory)?

Or did the Valyrians cause their own Doom by trying something that required the strength of hundreds of dragons and the resulting magical explosion destroyed their empire, their homes and themselves?

When the doom happened, all Valyria was destroyed, the floods and the fire destroyed and killed even the dragons

the Targaryens had fled Valyria a hundred years before the doom with 5 of their dragons, that's why they were the last family with dragons after the doom.

Daenys Targaryen dreamed of the doom and alerted the family, they fled to Dragonstone, it belonged to them

When the doom happened, all Valyria was destroyed, the floods and the fire destroyed and killed even the dragons

the Targaryens had fled Valyria a hundred years before the doom with 5 of their dragons, that's why they were the last family with dragons after the doom.

Daenys Targaryen dreamed of the doom and alerted the family, they fled to Dragonstone, it belonged to them

actually I believe they fled 12 years before it happened and the family stayed there 100 years after until Aegon came

I think what he's asking is what are the odds that there were no other Valyrians who were off riding their dragons elsewhere, or living in one of the colonies like Volantis when The Doom happened. It's a fair question, but I would assume that all the dragon lords lived in Valyria proper and took great pride in that. I seem to recall something about the Targaryens being mocked as cowards for moving to Dragonstone. I guess it was just bad luck that no one was out flying around when it happened, or they headed home to see what was going on and were killed.

This makes no sense, as the way such far-flung cities were ruled was through dragons. Otherwise, such a massive empire would never have held together, as is clearly seen in the disintegration of any major empire in Essos after The Doom.

Maybe they kept order with just the threat of dragons?

The Doom, whatever it was, was magical in nature. Dragons, too, seem to have a connection to magic (beyond their existence).

As such, and without knowing any real details of what "The Doom" entailed, it's not unfair to assume it had a significant effect on Dragons - beyond the mere physical damage tidal waves etcetera would bring.

I think what he's asking is what are the odds that there were no other Valyrians who were off riding their dragons elsewhere, or living in one of the colonies like Volantis when The Doom happened. It's a fair question, but I would assume that all the dragon lords lived in Valyria proper and took great pride in that. I seem to recall something about the Targaryens being mocked as cowards for moving to Dragonstone. I guess it was just bad luck that no one was out flying around when it happened, or they headed home to see what was going on and were killed.

It's posible that other dragons had survived the doom, but it's more likely that they were extinguished before Dany's dragons

Maybe they flew away to another location, Sothoryos? Ulthos? Who knows?

Yes, I'm well aware of how the Targs escaped the Doom and the visions of a female Targaryen that caused them to leave.

This is what I am asking: How is it that not one other dragon was in the Colonies/Free Cities when the Doom happened? I mean, the empire isn't governable unless there are dragons flying all over the place. Dragon fire was probably a major piece in building Valyrian roads.

Yet NOT ONE DRAGON was outside of Valyria proper?

Even if all the families were based in Valyria, which I suspect is the case, their dragons would be off doing business around the empire at all times, wouldn't you think?

So why were none of them out on business when the Doom hit?

I think the Valyrians did round up all the dragons and possible dragon riders in Valyria. They talk about inbreeding to keep the blood pure but it was as much about stopping non-Valyrians being born with dragon-riding abilities and attacking them. If you let people with blood of the dragon wander round the empire they are likely to have blood of the dragon bastards who will grow up and claim their rights.

My friend, dragons are not from Valyria, they were found there at the 14 fires, a volcanic area. It's believed that they came from another area, so, yes, it's posible there are other dragons wandering in other parts of the world, but not in Essos or Westeros.

When Valyria collapsed into a smoking rubble of destruction, the narrative tells of the world's greatest city, destroyed in a day. Anecdotally, we hear about the Isle of Cedars being hit by a tidal wave, the smoking sea rushing in, et cetera. The entire Valyrian peninsula was laid to absolute waste.

We also know that the Targaryen dragons are the only ones to survive out on remote Dragonstone.

But there were 39 other families in Valyria who were dragon lords, many of whom were greater in power than the Targaryens! It doesn't seem a stretch to consider that the most powerful held dozens of dragons in their time, no?

Yet when Valyria was destroyed, we are supposed to believe that every single non-Targ dragon was in the Valyrian mainland, despite the fact that their empire sprawled west and north throughout what would eventually become the Free Cities?

Furthermore, we KNOW there were no other dragons, because Aegon the Conqueror joined war with Tyrosh & Myr against Volantis when Volantis was trying to rebuild the Valyrian empire with themselves at the center. Aegon's dragon was the difference as both sides appealed to him to join them.

So why were all the dragons back in Valyria? Were the Valyrians having some sort of gathering of the dragons, which seems very suspicious?

If every non-Targaryen dragon was back in Valyria when The Doom hit, did someone set up the situation and took advantage of it (the Faceless Men theory)?

Or did the Valyrians cause their own Doom by trying something that required the strength of hundreds of dragons and the resulting magical explosion destroyed their empire, their homes and themselves?

Excellent anaylsis and idea. I would expect at least a few dragons were out in the provinces when the Doom hit. So either it was set up, as you suggested - the FM acted when there was a gathering, perhaps a conference or tourney - or else several dragons survived the Doom but not the century that followed, when all the dragonlords in the provinces fought each other to be the new Big Cheese of a re-founded Valyria.

Which only begs a further question: if the Targ dragons were the only survivors of Valyria... why did the Targs prefer Westeros? Were they disgusted with teh Free Cities and Slavers' Bay by that time? Surely they could have re-founded Valyria in Essos.

Excellent anaylsis and idea. I would expect at least a few dragons were out in the provinces when the Doom hit. So either it was set up, as you suggested - the FM acted when there was a gathering, perhaps a conference or tourney - or else several dragons survived the Doom but not the century that followed, when all the dragonlords in the provinces fought each other to be the new Big Cheese of a re-founded Valyria.

Which only begs a further question: if the Targ dragons were the only survivors of Valyria... why did the Targs prefer Westeros? Were they disgusted with teh Free Cities and Slavers' Bay by that time? Surely they could have re-founded Valyria in Essos.

They couldn't re-founded Valyria, it became an hostile place to live, it was flooded and poison fumes in the air, maybe now it's posible, but not at that time. everybody died but the Targaryens, they prefered Westeros because Dragonstone was theirs, Aegon then decided to conquer it

and yes, I believe it's posible there are more dragons out there, in other parts of the world, remember, we don't know the whole world so far

Archived