How were the Targaryen Dragons the only ones to survive The Doom?

Heir to His House

How did the Valeryons of Driftmark escape the doom? We meet Aurane Waters and hear a bit about the Valeryons fighting with Stannis on the Blackwater. But I'm not really clear who they are.

I wonder if this will play any role going forward.

The Velaryons and the Celtigars followed the Targaryens to Westeros.

They followed the Targs to Westeros and the Targs ruled over them. They weren't on Dragonstone, though. The Celtigars lived on Claw Isle and the Velaryons on Driftmark.

That would imply that the Celtigars and Velaryons also left Valyria before the Doom to go live on distant rocks. I wonder why.

To OP - That is a question anyone who put thought into the Doom has. Theres nothing in the text that I know of that can answer it. Which leads to another question - when GRRM sets the backstory, how much thought did he really put into it? We are so quick to assume that there is a complete story thought of from top to bottom with every detail covered and we just need to wait for the entire story to unfold to get ALL of the answers. But, quite likely, there is no answer, or at least we will never know for sure.

I'd rather get the full "present day" story and just take the backstory history for what it is.

Not just Targs can predict in dreams, as we see, we have greenseers in the North as well

but, yes, I think Valyrians have this skill, not everyone, but it can happen with some people

Theirs a good chance the targs have very little prophetic ability(outside their obscure dragon dreams) but that they were given visions by someone with a glass candle.

Archived