S+B=M: Mel - The Red Star Bleeding / Melony Seastar (part 2 has been added on pg.9)

yolkboy

Sorry if this was asked already in this thread, but source please?

:agree:

ETA: Lady Gwynhyfvar was just a split second faster, than me, issue covered. Here's the link from page 6 again: http://www.accesshollywood.com/access-countdown-to-game-of-thrones-season-2-qanda-carice-van-houten-talks-melisandre_article_62348

Carice doesn't say that GRRM told her, only that Mel is over a 100 years old. Doubt she's just invented that though.

There is a link on page 6, about halfway down, to an interview with Carice where she mentions it.

:agree:

ETA: Lady Gwynhyfvar was just a split second faster, than me, issue covered. Here's the link from page 6 again: http://www.accesshollywood.com/access-countdown-to-game-of-thrones-season-2-qanda-carice-van-houten-talks-melisandre_article_62348

Carice doesn't say that GRRM told her, only that Mel is over a 100 years old. Doubt she's just invented that though.

Okay thanks. And I agree, she wouldn't have made such a thing up. Could it be from D&D?

Interesting question. Should it be included in SSM or is it only valid for GoT? (It doesn't prove S+B=M but makes it more likely.)

I'd say valid for GoT only, since there's no definite proof of GRRM having said it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be true in the books as well, and as you say, it supports S+B=M.

I'd say valid for GoT only, since there's no definite proof of GRRM having said it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be true in the books as well, and as you say, it supports S+B=M.

Actually, I saw her say grrm told her on a video interview, but I cant find the link. I will try and find it!

Although as I said there's clues in canon that hint to her being very old, without having to lean on this.

ETA can't find the video I was after, it was maybe at the s3 premiere as she was on a red carpet. If not I imagined it. It was the same interview as this grrm one, but i can ne find the Mel one. You can see Carice doing the interview in the background here lol.

Maybe forget I said anything and go off the magazine, it was a while ago i think i saw it.

Actually, I saw her say grrm told her on a video interview, but I cant find the link. I will try and find it!

Although as I said there's clues in canon that hint to her being very old, without having to lean on this.

ETA can't find the video I was after, it was maybe at the s3 premiere as she was on a red carpet. If not I imagined it. It was the same interview as this grrm one, but i can ne find the Mel one. You can see Carice doing the interview in the background here lol.

I'll take your word for it then.

I'll take your word for it then.

No i did see it months ago and maybe i'm mistaken, I would say forget i said anything and go off the magazine.

. :ack:

I think in the mag she says her character is over 100, but doesnt reveal exactly who told her.

Its dubious canon, as i pointed out when this first came up.

No i did see it months ago and maybe i'm mistaken, I would say forget i said anything and go off the magazine.

I think in the mag she says her character is over 100, but doesnt reveal exactly who told her.

Agreed. Very interesting, though. Let's say the actress had never said such a thing to the camera; is there anything in the books that establishes or hints at her age?

Agreed. Very interesting, though. Let's say the actress had never said such a thing to the camera; is there anything in the books that establishes or hints at her age?

Selyse describes Mel as looking young, siginficantly younger than Selyse herself. But we have...

Melisandre had practiced her art for years beyond count

sounds like a lot of years, for someone who looks like theyre in their 20's

That was a lesson Melisandre had learned long before Asshai;

So she trained in Asshai for a long time, obviously. But she had a long history before she even got to Asshai.

In the context of this theory you then have Serenei and Shiera both said to be practicing dark arts to elongate their lives and stay young. So just a few hints, certainly that she's older than she seems, but nothing to nail her to an age, it's ambiguous.

Selyse describes Mel as looking young, siginficantly younger than Selyse herself. But we have...

sounds like a lot of years, for someone who looks like their in their 20's

So she trained in Asshai for a long time, obviously. But she had a long history before she even got to Asshai.

In the context of this theory you then have Serenei and Shiera both said to be practicing dark arts to elongate their lives and stay young. So just a few hints, certainly that she's older than she seems, but nothing to nail her to an age, it's ambiguous.

I'd guess she's at least 70. Thanks for the quotes.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before. Another thing I noticed, which very well might mean nothing: Bloodraven's mother was named Melissa.

Hmmm, I'd forgotten that completely. Lady Melissa and Lady Melisandre. Melissa was very beautiful and slender like Mel fwiw. I had a quick think about the Blackwoods, and any 'lil hints.

In part2 I said their was a link/parallel thing going on with Mel and weirwoods. Well, the Blackwood sigil is this;

"A flock of ravens on scarlet surrounding a dead weirwood upon a black escutcheon"

So you have a raven like Bloodraven, scarlet is very rare, as a whole, but often worn by Mel, and in the middle a weirwood. The weirwood was poisoned, like Mel, but in contrast, she survived. The inspiration for the literal interpretation for the sigil are the ravens that gather on the weirwood. The Blackwood seat is Raventree Hall, they are raven-tree centric.

With regards to Mel's eyes possibly weeping red tears of blood - and thinking of Bloodraven...

Bloodraven bled form the eye at the redgrass field near the weeping ridge

And it didn't just say over, she says that Mel is "way over 100 years old". Doesn't that preclude Bloodraven?

And it didn't just say over, she says that Mel is "way over 100 years old". Doesn't that preclude Bloodraven?

Way over 100 might be too old, i'm guessing 80-115 might be about right. But Carice is clearly vague and admits not to having read the books. From the canon text we have several clues that she's old enough to be a DandE tieback. When I first mentioned Carice's interview I said it's more than possible HBO change her past somewhat, with perhaps no obligation to fit to the backstory to match the books. They have already changed the Targaryen family tree, for example.

This is the problem introducing dubious canon, and all I take from the Carice interview is that Mel is probably elongating her life and is very old, as alluded to in the text.

Archived