Lynesse Hightower?

Light a wight tonight

I wonder why Lord Leyton allowed her to marry Jorah Mormont, a man so far below her station. I believe that the Hightowers are as snooty as the Florents, so it's suspicious that the marriage took place. Maybe for some reason he wanted to get her away from home, as far as possible. Bear Island comes close to being that, short of Hardhome.

Is she damaged goods, notorious for sexcapades, bringing dishonor to the House? After bankrupting Jorah she has no problem becoming the concubine of a rich merchant.

op - Lord Leyton had ten children I think and she was the youngest one. As Ned Stark points out, the Mormonts are an ancient and respected house in the north despite being poor and given the aid they gave to Stannis must be fairly strong militarily. So its not that extreme, but it is still a huge gulf. Also, I think because Lynesse was the youngest in such a large family it probably meant she craved attention and wanted to achieve notice herself. So being crowned Queen of Love and Beauty at the tourney of Lannisport would have been just the sort of thing that would have swept her off her feet. I also think this would make her very much enjoy being doted on and having affection off somebody like Jorah and we also have to remember that she is a young girl like Sansa and pining after tourney winners is the done thing in the society. A bit like if you win Wimbledon. ;) Beyond that I think Lord Leyton indulged in his daughter which seems to be quite common in GRRM universe (as is the reverse).

op - Lord Leyton had ten children I think and she was the youngest one. As Ned Stark points out, the Mormonts are an ancient and respected house in the north despite being poor and given the aid they gave to Stannis must be fairly strong militarily. So its not that extreme, but it is still a huge gulf. Also, I think because Lynesse was the youngest in such a large family it probably meant she craved attention and wanted to achieve notice herself. So being crowned Queen of Love and Beauty at the tourney of Lannisport would have been just the sort of thing that would have swept her off her feet. I also think this would make her very much enjoy being doted on and having affection off somebody like Jorah and we also have to remember that she is a young girl like Sansa and pining after tourney winners is the done thing in the society. A bit like if you win Wimbledon. ;) Beyond that I think Lord Leyton indulged in his daughter which seems to be quite common in GRRM universe (as is the reverse).

This. Technically speaking, the heir to Bear Island isn't beneath her station. They just aren't as rich of a house as she was from or would have preferred.

Mind you the "in the north" is probably a significant qualifier here. Being Andals there is probably a cultural divide and not the same sort of traditional respect for an old line of firstborn as you would find in the north. So respect would be more based on power and wealth; which is obviously very great.

A good comparative example of how prestige can make up for lack of wealth n power is how the Seastars were allowed to marry Targaryens because of their certified Valyrian blood despite only owning an island in the Blackwater (I think).

Lynesse Hightower is Septa Lemore. It is known.

It is not known.

It's not unheard of for parents to let their progeny marry for love, maybe Lord Hightower was one of these? If Ser Jorah could perform extraordinary feats maybe he could deal with his high maintenance daughter? It seems like Lynesse is fickle and can be a bit of a pain so maybe her Lord Father just wanted to be done with her.

She is in Lys married to Tregor Ormillion. One of the big shots there and her brother is going to her to try and get sellsails to deal with the Ironborn. its no big secret where she is.

She's not married to him. She's his concubine. Sold her (lady parts) to the highest bidder.

Archived