Crackpot - Viserys alive.

Viserys - The last dragon

Haha, probably a silly theory :)

What makes me think its possible (but not very likely though) are the following:

1) The lack of burial (perhaps he was ditched and nursed back to health as well)

2) GRRM often/sometime uses the word "death" to illustrate something different than actual "death". That part of the character dies, but not actually the character itself (for example the hound under the tree)

4) I remember from the books in the tavern someone is discussion if really Viserys is dead. That no one really knows.. This might be a hint from GRRM that he is still out kicking.

5) The 3 dragons. Each for one rider. Jon Snow might be the rider of the dragon named after Rhaegar- because its his father (if you believe R+L=J). Dany are meant to ride the dragon named after Drogo- her husband. But who the hell are going to ride the dragon named after Viserys? Someone with some connection to him, right? Who has the more connection than the man himself :D

I know this is a long shot... And to those who will ask what he has been up to all this time.. Perhaps he has joined the GOLDEN company ;)

Of course it is possible. Considering the process of the way he got burnt its quite hard to understand that it actually killed him.. Drogo didnt get brunt when he lifted up the pot which he had used to melt the golden belt.. Which says it probably wasn't that hot.

Of course it is possible. Considering the process of the way he got burnt its quite hard to understand that it actually killed him.. Drogo didnt get brunt when he lifted up the pot which he had used to melt the golden belt.. Which says it probably wasn't that hot.

Even if it was painted lead, it should have been hot enough to kill quite quickly.

Drogo himself may have lifted the pot by its wooden handles I assume (plus, everybody knows that Dothraki are fireproof!).

1948 degrees fahrenheit.

That is the general temperature at which gold melts.

It was plenty hot.

Not sure how a cookfire did that, but whatever.

I was just about to write that; that a cook fire would not be able to create such heat. And especially not one which stood ready. In the books it seems like it only takes a few seconds (as well as in the show) to melt the belt- in other words extreme heat..

Weird to have such a heat pot standing ready... Like they were expecting Viserys to come in, and planing to melt gold over his head.

I was just about to write that; that a cook fire would not be able to create such heat. And especially not one which stood ready. In the books it seems like it only takes a few seconds (as well as in the show) to melt the belt- in other words extreme heat..

Weird to have such a heat pot standing ready... Like they were expecting Viserys to come in, and planing to melt gold over his head.

Or George didn't know how much you have to heat gold to melt it and just wanted a cool way to kill off a terrible person.

Who's to say this isn't possible? Some people actually think that Aegon is the same Aegon as Rhaegar's son. So maybe the Viserys who was raised with Dany wasn't the "real" Viserys afterall? Not to mock anybody of course, but if Aegon is the real Aegon, then that could mean that the real Viserys didn't end up with his sister but instead was split up from her. This could be why Viserys died? "Fire cannot kill a dragon." This quote of Dany's could show of how the actual Viserys might have been swapped when Willem Darry crossed with them across the narrow sea. The Viserys kept with Dany could have been a decoy of sorts, and since he was told he was a Targ time and time again from a young age, it could be likely that Viserys convinced himself that his younger lack of memories was just due to young age. After all if you could go to Lys, you would likely find at least a few children who resembled Viserys and Dany. So in conclusion, this is just a theory I'm putting out there, but maybe Varys' fake explanation for his Blackfyre prince, is a "clue" for us in a future discovery of another swap that actually happened and wasn't just said to have happened. Maybe the real Viserys is out there somewhere, and the one who died was a boy from Lys? I'm thinking that if that is possible, then maybe it is also possible that Illyrio knows, and possibly wants Aegon Blackfyre, Dany, and the real Viserys all to join up? Or he has "other plans?"

He lifted up the pot by the handles with his hands, didn't have dothraki-faux-gold poured onto his skull directly.

Who's to say this isn't possible?

Basically anyone who's read the books.

So it was hot enough to melt the gold, the gold that was poured over Viserys, but you don't think it was that hot? Drogo didn't pick the pot up by the gold inside it, he picked it up from the outside, and likely from areas that were not too hot to lift for at least a short period. Viserys died. I guess you never know if GRRM is going to bring someone back thru some sort of magic or another, but I wouldn't count on it in this case.

Actually, is there any evidence to support this? Who's to say he didn't burn his hands and just ignore it like the tough bastard he is?

Why do people assume what they call gold is what we call gold.

Because every other metal in Planetos is named the same as what we call it, and it's not like it's a Dothraki culture thing, Dany is the one who called it gold.

The melting point problem is almost certainly a mistake on George's part.

Viserys is such a non entity in the story. It was clear that he was weak and over-inflated with his Targ heritage. It was pretty logical that someone would put an end to him. And who would take care of him, a random member of the horde? It seems to me that GRRM basically wrote a clear death for him and then never kept much of his memory alive. GRRM also let HBO clearly kill him and while I get the fact that someone can come back like UnCat or Beric it would be random and stupid in this case. His brain probably boiled from his new crown and they did who knows what to his body. One of the last Targs rotting in the desert.

Archived